lakky

VW Polo or SKODA Fabia

Hii guys can u all tell me which one to but . because i m way confused of selecting which one to buy . My budget is 8 lakhs . I prefer a diesel engine . Can anyone tell me should i go for a sedan or a higher end hatch back . If any other suggestions of cars u can add . Skoda elegance or Polo higline or i20 astra . My main preference is safety and a comfort ride . Can u suggest me picking higher end for a hatch back is preferebale or not :) . Thank u for ur help :)

Note from ACI-Support: Search existing threads with regards to your query. Posting in sms lingo/slang is strictly prohibited on the Board. Such posts are deleted promptly & member Banned.

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-04-16 11:20:54

In 8 lakh Rupee budget, you've two options with best options listed infront of them;

-A Top-end Premium hatchback: VW Polo TDi Highline.

-A base version Executive Sedan: VW Vento TDi Trendline(best) > MS SX4 > Fiat Linea 1.3 MjD, but except Linea all other two will Over-Stretch your budget by another Rs.50k.

The latter segment is catching up with upcoming slew of launches like New Ford Fiesta, New Hyundai Verna & these're worth the wait.
dr_nishu2011-04-16 19:04:03

Hi,

Given your budget and priorities :

I think you should try going in for a sedan.The options include :

1.) VW vento : You won't get the highline at the specified budget, but still the car has a brilliant ride and is safest of the lot.

2.) Fiat Linea : Very-well built and has a great ride-handling combo. Falls in budget too.

3.) You could seriously wait for both the New Ford Fiesta and Hyundai RB saloon, which are just round the corner.Both the machines are latest in their design and has upgraded engines.

+1 to dr_nishu, VW Polo TDI highline is the best option among those. I own a 1.2 polo trendline petrol and quite satisfied with the quality of the product. And when it comes to choose between VW and Skoda, VW should be the choice any day.

Now +2 to Dr_Nishu,even I too favour the Polo in terms of driving pleasure and its a fact that after sales support of of VW is also far better than that of Skoda..

So VW polo for me any day,only difference is that I simply hate 1.2..only 1.6(Polo 1.6 has won me).

Thank you all for your suggestions

I dont drive the car I prefer rare seat we have a driver and I travel around 3000 kms a month .
But in the auto car india latest magazine they were saying the fabia is the segment leader with the price slash . so do you guys think I should go for polo ?

Can anyone say me which car has more legroom

Post Edited: SMS Lingo/Slang is strictly prohibited on the Board. Post in proper English. Consider this as the last Warning.
BornFree2011-04-17 12:21:27

Thank?you all for your suggestions I dont drive the car?I prefer rare seat we have a driver and?I travel around 3000 kms a month . But in the auto car india latest magazine they were saying the fabia is the segment leader with the price slash . so do you guys think?I should go for polo ?
Still my advise is to stay away from Fabia,they are known for worst kind of aftersale service and ripping off their customers with huge bills. VW after-sales will anyday be better than that of skoda. Slashed down prices can never be a reason to buy this car. Even you had the option of Vento TDI TL or HL(only if you can up your budget.)

Listen to me man. i have an experience of this whole situation and was as confused as you in the hatchback segement. i had waited for the polo for three months prior to it being available individually since Auto Expo 2010 Delhi.

then I got the First hand look at the car in march when i was supposed to buy a hatch in Jan itself. Still i waited till March for this car. Then the guy who was showing me the Polo for the first time made me sit in the back seat and was i surprised.

No room absolutely. That is why i went for the Fabia initially and have no regrets in this decision. people say Skoda aftersales are a bummer and i completely agree.

But The way you drive the car and take care of it matters the most. Skoda is getting better and I am not saying this blankly but because i own both the Fabia and The Laura. Btw The Skoda brand is under the VW group so no qualms in quality or so but the VW range is a tad bit better in design and quality no doubt. Engines are shared so dont worry about that front.

Still considering your budget it makes more sense to go for a sedan and The Linea & Vento are the best out there in recent times. Thjough i would advise you t stretch the timeline of buying the car till May end for the fiesta & Hyundai Verna new models to come out so you have a better choice.

So guys can you finally tell me which one to go for . Because we have Chauffeur . we travel around 3000 kms and it too most on highways . So we will be seating in the back seats so which car can give me a better smooth ride and how about i20 ?

Polo's rear legroom is a bit of a concern. Go for Vento Trendline diesel. though would be slightly higher than your budget. its Legroom is very good. moreover you get rear AC vents and you get very comfortable ride. I prefer you have a Test drive of i20 , polo and Vento n compare the comfort , Drive(check wich one gives you less bumpy ride at the rear) and this will help you get a clear idea and decide.smiley1.gif

polo and fabia are practically the same car, same engine, same platform. The fabia feels spacious and more solid and is actually few kilos lighter than the polo. depends on your taste. Fabia doesn't have a long waiting list like the polo. But i hear skoda's service network sucks, big time

So guys can you finally tell me which one to go for . Because we have Chauffeur . we travel around 3000 kms and it too most on highways . So we will be seating in the back seats so which car can give me a better smooth ride and how about i20 ?

This says it all. Fabia of the 2.

I would also recommend you to have a look at Manza Elan. Its Spacious( the comfort it offers is comparable to Benz S class for rear passenger), proven yet powerful Fiat engine, better interiors, to top of all, Tata is known to come with a perfect product the second time(not Aria), so Elan should be great.
creativebala2011-05-03 04:01:48

Thanq all for your valuable suggestions . Now after seeing the new verna i have planed to raise my budget . The video review just blew my mind . So opinions guys do you all think the new verna is gonna be worthfull ? . Any suggestions buying a hatch back and saving some money is use good rather than going for verna . I checked vento its great but it has no bluetooth connectivity and no ipod connection so suggestions please

well it all depends on how much you are ready to spend. If money isn't a probem you could look at New Verna and Fiesta. They will be worth every penny you spend sarabjeet2011-05-07 17:30:39

Thanq all for your valuable suggestions . Now after seeing the new verna i have planed to raise my budget . The video review just blew my mind . So opinions guys do you all think the new verna is gonna be worthfull ? . Any suggestions buying a hatch back and saving some money is use good rather than going for verna . I checked vento its great but it has no bluetooth connectivity and no ipod connection so suggestions please

as u mentioned, u have a chauffeur, rear seat comfort and car stability and ride quality most to u ,. especially on highways

so , a sedan will anyday give u all that , better than any hatch , be it i20 or fabia

we have a fabia , i am 5'10 and yet i can literally lie down/sit like a king in the rear seat when alone, without having to pull the front seats ahead too much.

skoda ass, well , depends on the service in ur area, parts are costly......but fabia is a fabulous car nevertheless

i20 , well , rear space not as good as fabia, overpriced for a diesel , has steering issues, but again a good car

in sedans, diesels

vento- best handler, best road grip, smoooth ride, stonking diesel engine
ass is alrite, will improve with time , parts are costly, low on features, but again, REAR seat is most comfortable and spacious

verna- feature king of the segment, stonker diesel engine, rear seat is low.....so if u are tall or have old occupants , u will have to exert to get up from those ditch like seats, apart from that, people have said it isnt as stable as other cars above 130- 140kmh, i cant comment on that, but its a new car so i exepct its handling and road manners must have improved
ass is v good at hyundai, spares are cheap...looks the best in its egment and that NEW car appeals,  very value for money

sx4 d- many wud not recommend this, but yes, it gives u the best reliability of maruti , superb handling and a awesome stiff suspension that is built for the highways, a little bumpy on slower speeds in the city, but that is not an issue with u as u will be on the highway as u mentioned if ur the driver sometimes, loads of rooms, comes cheaper than others,parts are cheap, ass and maintenance is the best due to maruti , and has loads of feautres too//most value for money if u plan to save

fiesta diesel ......well great car, awesome handler, enthusiasts car as some say...but rear space kills it......as u plan to sit behind..i wonder u wud be taken aback to see what little room iy offers at the back , while the front seats are roomy....also fiesta spares are costlier than maruti , and mainteninance is somewhat costlier than hyundai , yet ass is good enough

i suggest u wait for the new feista too, although i dont think the rear seat space will impress u

in my opinion in diesels from value for money perspective- verna,sx4 d, vento

from comfort and brand perspective- vento,verna sx4d

the vento has the best rear seat, and absolutely amazing handling and road grip

LINEA ...well wait for 1.6 engine to come out, it will change the game

dont know when it coming

but FIAT ASS.......will not recommend cars becuase of that
also linea's rear space is not as good as vento so u may not like it

its a gem of a car otherwise.

Note from ACI-Support: Use of SMS Lingo is strictly prohibited on the Board. Please visit the Board Rules & Regulations section before proceeding further. Also avoid excessive dots (.....) between sentences.
BornFree2011-05-21 09:33:08

As far as Verna and Vento is concerned , I just saw a review on television. In terms of a lot of features Verna wins. But when it comes to rear seat space, ride quality, good engine, build quality, highway manners Vento has a better footing. Though they have given more marks to Verna in this review . But it looked like a competition between a Chinese mobile phone and a Nokia /blackberry phone. Where the former comes loaded with everything on earth but you know what its upto.

As far as bluetooth and i-pod connectivity is concerned, its no big deal. You can get all these features added by spending few bucks. But once you buy a car, you can not change the way it behaves on road.

***EDIT*** And if you are still considering Polo/Fabia, The polo is better anyday. Spares/service both are reliable and cheaper compare to fabia.ashikawa2011-05-21 12:28:24

Firstly if you are being chauffer driven then it is nice to have a sedan rather than a hatchback .

As you are blown away by the Verna video review and are ready to raise the budget ,then check the rear seat legroom and the seat comfort of the new Verna as it lack underthigh support (though it is good for people with small height). Also with 126bhp diesel mill go for the SX varient as it comes along with wider tyres and ABS which is a must for the given power of the car.smiley1.gif

Sedan Vs Hatchback

Key Reasons for suggesting a Sedan over Hatchback are,

1. Safety (Boot offers Rear Impact Protection)

2. Huge Luggage Space in case of Long Trips

3. Sedans are considered one class above compared to Hatchback in India

4. Comfortable Rear Seats

5. Rear AC Vents in most of the sedan now a days

Polo Vs Vento

1. Better Rear Seat Comfort than Polo

2. Four Cylinder Diesel Engine in Vento is much refined than Polo

Plus the features mentioned above

Vento Vs Verna

1. Vento Engine is Much Refined compared to Verna

2. Verna Diesel has Better Performance

3. 6 Airbags in Verna High End Model compared to 2 in Vento

4. Reverse View Camera in Verna High End Model

5. Low Rear Seat compared to Vento

6. Vento has a Better Build Quality compared to Verna

7. German Engineering is far better compared to Korean Engineering

8. Similarly Brand Image of German is far Better compared to Korean

9. The lack of features can be added as an aftermarket modification.

10. Verna is also the Costliest in that category

The overall suggestion is to go for Vento Highline if you can afford, esle Vento Trendline.

i drove a crdi sx verna today , guys the handling has improved drastically, the engine is super silent, no rocking/wobbling of car at 130 kmh, braking is terrific and ride quality is butter,it was manual , and gear shifitng is super slick too, looks like a perfect overall product

i suggest u td both vento and verna on the same day and get an idea

vento has  rear vents at the back, with more spacious rear seats,so this may be more important for u than steering control, which will be in hands of ur driver, i think its better to pamper urself than the driver, a personal opinion, u can stretch back relax get chilled in the vento better i feel

the verna rear seats, well i sat, they are allright, but vento has got it bang on in this dept,  but verna has a terrific ride , has more overall features, cheaper maintenance and more service centers than vento

as far as german vs korean engineering is involved...i rather not comment,  its more of a personal choice for the buyer, i dont feel u shud go blindly by brand value or history

and the verna is certainly not a chinese mobile dear

its a beautiful car, not unlike some chinese mobiles , much hotter than any s segmenter barring linea