varunsonu

Advice on ECU remap for Laura TSI

hi!!

i own a skoda laura TSI and its an awesome machine...

but i just got to know that i can get more punch of the same engine without any new installations i.e. , through ECU remap..

all i want to knw is that is it advisable and what are its harmful effects and also is it worth it??

btw i found a site superchips.co.uk.. they are committing a 53 bhp increase in power with just the remap.. IS IT ANY GOOD??

THANKS

Avoid such kind of Modifications for your New car, until you're having so much Surplus of money to treat your 15-lakh rupee car as a Guinea Pig.

You'll lose it Warranty, Reliability of that car & only God will know about which of its essential parts will suffer with this mod, like its Driveshafts, bearings, Axle, etc.

P.S: Better is to stay satisfied with already Performance bomber of a petrol car.

thanks for the advice but,

i had a chat with the superchips guy nd he told me he wouldnt even open the bonnet of my car.. everythin will b done from OBD(on board diagnostics port).. so there will be no visible performance mod..

and since it is just reprogramming of the computer in the engine, it can be reversed in just 10 min without leaving any traces of the mod being done...

so how will i lose warranty??

moreover there is a 5 day money back guarantee if i am not satisfied..

all of this is too good to be true nd thats y i raised a question over here to find out that loop-hole..

thanks

@dr.nishu: appreciate the advice

Varun@ Avoid sms lingo/

ECU remapping is not recommended ! Engine Diesel pump, and Engine health would be affected if installed. Keep it as it is, incase if you are interested,just add KN filter and a open muffler(would not sound much on diesel yet powerfull).

varun@ Yours is the petrol series, so you can go with a performance kits. I know laura is a performance machine, add KN filter(5,500rupees), Performance Muffler(8000rs if mugen, and based on the other products), Add cold air Intake instead of the airfilter system(will cost you 10,000rs), and platinum plugs. Will add you certain speed(say30) + certain bhp.

installing these mods will surely void the warranty whereas ecu remap can be reversed easily and it dosent install any visible mod to start with...

P.S. i am not being repulsive, i am just looking for the right technical reason to not get a remap..

@Varun:

I too own a Laura TSi,and already is more than satisfied with the power on tap.

I am unable to understand what you want your Laura to become,its already a warrior.The remap may be good with a brilliant performance but remember ALL GLITTERS ARE NOT GOLD..Hoping you have understand what I want to say.

Well firstly the stock car produces more than enough power ,but a petrol head always needs more . An ECU remap is good enough with stock part if it increases the power by about 20% . Here clearly the 53bhp+ o/p will definately strain the driveshaft internals .

Try to get a remap which gives you about 30bhp and you can ask the tuner to make the power spread even throughout the rev range . Also before you do this please up-size your tyres to 16'' alloys and fit in +1 wider tyres so that all that power can be put to road properly .

@rssh: rightly said that a petrol head always needs more and i want more if i can get it without compromising the warranty...

i have already considered up-sizing the tires and improving the brakes (though stock brakes are extremely powerful)..

i can certainly ask the tuner to spread the power evenly throughout the rev range...

but what i actually want to know is that will it harm the cars engine in any way (longevity etc) and will i have to reduce the service intervals and if so than by what period or kms and lastly will it void the warranty??

and you wrote "53bhp+o/p" what do you mean by "o/p" ?

thanks

Sorry but 53bhp on an ecu remap is a dream.  Average is 10 to 15 max and that's mostly for ignition mapping.  A much cheaper way to go is to install a K&N air system which is easy and will give you a bit more power.  Remember an engine is an air pump.  There are many ways to get more air in and make it easier to get out.  Engines are notoriously inefficient....more power means more heat and more wear....but more fun!

Pete also has a remap for the 1.8Turbo Petrol. Actually just with a remap expect about a 10-15% improvement. What puts me off is the article in ACI sometime back where they put Swift Diesels with various remaps/chips to test and got near zero gains.

@brncrz. superchips.co.uk are committing a 47 bhp increase.

checkout the link

http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=33&fueltype=3&model=142&variant=2104

KN filter will increase the performance but difference would be marginal and hardly noticeable AFAIK.

PETE was my first choice but they are not offering any remaps for laura 1.8TSI. i had a chat with one of there executives and he said that they will have to open the ECU to remap it and this will void the warranty.

o/p means output . And yes a 53 bhp increase can question the reliability of your vehicles drivetrain . All I am saying is to buy a remap of only 30bhp so that the stock drivetrain remains reliable .

thanks for all the input guys..

i had a chat with dealer for superchip and he says the chip comes with programming already done so i cant change the amount of bhp it changes or do anything for that matter...

i have been reading other forums and i have learnt that remaps are quite common outside and bluefin (superchips) is reputed company in this field and since they are giving a 5 day moneyback guarantee i am gonna go with it.

i will get it done after the first service which is in 2 weeks so till that time i am going to keep searching for a tunner who can provide a custom remap like REVO..

if any one knows someone like that please share their information..

thanks

@varunsonu;Going for an ECU remap is a better option than opting for a tuning box. Mind you, it will void your warranty but our experts can help you here.

We at Torque7 provide ECU remaps for most cars and have also been designing Air Intake Revisions for the same.

We are based in Mumbai but our team will be on an India tour and if interested you can contact us on Mumbai@torque7.co.in for setting up a meet when we are in your city

Check the result that we obtained with our Air Intake Revision Kit for the Punto 1.2 http://www.torque7.co.in/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12

--- salutations removed

sgiitk2011-05-04 14:31:48

If you really want to have mods then I'd suggest the Pete's tuning box.

My friend got it done for this optra and results are very evident.

Its just a plug and play device so you wont have to go in for actual ECU remaps.

There was a box for the RS. They (used to) do petrols as well, as long as they are blown. Check the Belgium parent site.Otherwise, check the competition! There are some add ons and some chip jobs. Take your pick.

sgiitk2011-05-23 08:50:36

@Varun

i had the chance to talk to Brabus executive once in london. I asked him why do they charge 3 times the price of the vehicle for beefing it up.

He gave me a simple answer. An Mercedes S600 is meant to do 155mph/ 250 kmph max. They beef up the engine to make it go 340 kmph. To support that they have to change the transmission to handle the additional torque, change ABS, EBD and ESP system so that the car doesn't flip over, change suspensions, tyres , breaks etc etc that can withstand the high speeds.

While people add mods to their vehicles they do not think about these factors. Adding 53 bhp to your Laura will also generate extra torque if i am not wrong. Will your transmission channel that to the wheel(if yes what will be the wear n tear of the clutch) ?

Will ESP and ABS be able to handle the extra power ? would you upgrade you tyres and brakes ?

Varun have a word with your tunner guys about this, if they say the stock vehicle can handle it then surely go ahead with it smiley1.gif

sarabjeet2011-05-23 14:28:59

Problem free, stock engines  move your ride  for the life of the warranty. 54 h/p isn't lurking in the belly of the beast waiting to be released upon the unknowing public. It isn't hidden there by evil engineers secretly bent upon driving up production costs. Engines are built using the cheapest parts and simplest designs to make the most money up front and the most money post warranty on service. The relationship between power and engine life is inverse;  the greater the performance...the shorter the life ie: race cars rebuild engines after every race. So remapping can suck perhaps 10%  more out of the performance margin.  Maybe. The a/c uses almost 10%.  It shortens the life of the engine and increases the cost of operation while giving the car more zzziiiiiiippppp (lower case letters because it's really very little zip).

As the saying goes...an ounce of perception is worth a pound of performance.  It's all about money....the money you're willing to plunk down to reach the satiation of your perceptions.  And, that's good.  The more money in circulation, the more dynamic the economy and you feel good.

If you really want to make a significant change while minimizing the downside, get a custom airbox and  a set of headers.  That makes the engine more efficient while dumping more waste heat.smiley1.gif

Pete guys are asking me to wait for a remap to come which is not very far and they have refused for putting in tunning box in petrol.

@sarabjeet for such detailed information it is best to talk to guys who have actually experienced it and i have talked to guys in UK and they have just asked me to upgrade tyres and brakes. Since mine will be a marginal upgrade (from 160 bhp to 210 bhp max) i wouldn't need suspension or ABS upgrades and honestly when i actually go with remap i would ask the tuner to limit the ecu to 240km/hr as i know that traffic conditions in india are horrible and its best it i stay at controllable speeds(though 240 isnt much controllable but it is better than anything above it.. smiley4.gif )

and i would mainly concentrate on torque because thats what matters most to me but still i would not go so far to change the transmission rather i would do with a little less than what i expect.

@brn2crz from what i have learnt so far is that skoda or any company for that matter optimizes its engine to strike a perfect balance between performance and economy. All i want for the engine is to have more emphasis on the performance making day to day driving a little more fun.

I was thinking of installing the airbox but headers is new to me. will give it a look