Anand Sivaraj

Skoda Rapid, now launched

Pretty nice spy pics... and from the first snap, its really a car to be looked forward to. Placing this below the Vento is definitely going to shake the market in this segment.

And as discussed in one of the other forum topics, due to the production cut of the Japs, the European car makers are going to shine. It'll be a treat to get a Skoda or a VW in the price range of an SX4.

Diwali's going to be a bumper season for all the car makers with the new Fiesta, the new Verna, new Swift and this Skoda Rapid coming along!!

Keeping pricing below the Vento will seriously effect Vento's sale. This is really nice looking and will fill the vaccum which created after Octavia was discontinued. 

From pictures it looks really big in size and will definitely be a segment leader.

Keeping pricing below the Vento will seriously effect Vento's sale. ?From pictures it looks really big in size and will definitely be a segment leader.
Beg to disagree on this comment. We have Skoda fabia for example which even have driver airbag in base model at a price similar to polo. But still it is no match as far as sales figure is concerned. Skoda has a bad name here. Whatever good product it launches, it will not be easy to convince indian customers who scare to go near a skoda.

Skoda has a bad name

here. Whatever good product it launches' date=' it will not be easy to

convince indian customers who scare to go near a skoda.[/quote']

Mentioning ' Skoda has bad name ' is really hurting..

If Skoda has bad name it would have closed it's shop soon after they came into India.

Polo may be better but it is question of Rapid and when comparing it with Vento it seems a one sided game and that is on the side of Rapid. Vento is still struggling to establish itself in the sedan segment whereas Skoda has already proved it's capabilities with Octavia, Laura. VW has Vento, Jetta and Passat but they all are still trying to reach to the right consumers.

Skoda's vehicle were and are considered to be built like tank and last for long.

Skoda is bringing in world class products such as Yeti and Superb and even the Laura TSi and the technology, features and quality they offer is always a class above and which raises the bar of people's expectation in other cars also.

Fabia was the first to introduce premium hatchback with class leading interiors and build quality and still a strong contender among the others.

@tejas:

I agreen with you, the Laura,Superb and Octavia are all great products and are/were(Octavia) segment leaders.

Only problem is their A.S.S and resale value.

Vento is giving tough competition for Honda City and will dethrone it in the coming months. So Vento is not struggling, it is fighting successfully with the City.

In India at least, Skoda will be given the cold shoulder by VW and won't be given any priority in launches and neither will VW 'try' to improve ASS. At best, Skoda will act as a subservient brand to VW. I have a feeling VW will slowly ease out Skoda, after it see's Skoda sales fall drastically, visavis VW. Which is already happening. For VW, Skoda has served it's purpose; so it's time to move 'in' for the kill.

Durango Dude2011-05-08 04:00:44

Mentioning ' Skoda has bad name ' is really hurting.. If Skoda has bad name it would have closed it's shop soon after they came into India.
My apology if it hurt you. but if a good product is not backed by reasonable and good aftersale service than it spoils the whole game.
Polo may be better but it is question of Rapid and when comparing it with Vento it seems a one sided game and that is on the side of Rapid. Vento is still struggling to establish itself in the sedan segment whereas Skoda has already proved it's capabilities with Octavia' date=' Laura. VW has Vento, Jetta and Passat but they all are still trying to reach to the right consumers.[/quote'] I myself quoted that the fabia has a better package at the price of polo but the sales figure tell the different story. Here are the sales figures for april 2011(team bhp)

Skoda

Laura : 421

Fabia : 1561

Superb : 332

Yeti : 132

VW

Jetta : 162

Passat : 196

Beetle : 16

Polo : 3755

Vento : 2866

Phaeton : 1

Touareg : 4

Here the twist is VW is only a 1 year old in below 10 lac segment and outdoing even Honda's

Honda

City : 1542

Civic : 253

Accord : 83

Jazz : 112

Crv : 22

Skoda's vehicle were and are considered to be built like tank and last for long. Skoda is bringing in world class products such as Yeti and Superb and even the Laura TSi and the technology' date=' features and quality they offer is always a class above and which raises the bar of people's expectation in other cars also. Fabia was the first to introduce premium hatchback with class leading interiors and build quality and still a strong contender among the others. [/quote'] Agree with you but it should have a good, reliable and reasonable after sales support.

Sales figures of Skoda not bad considering it has only 4 products and is beating its parent company in 2 of them

Laura(421) vs Jetta(162)

Superb(332) vs Passat(196)

Both these cars were expected a upgrade. And there was heavy discounting of Laura, whereas still there is no discount of Jetta except free insurance that too with conditions. As far as Superb is concerned , it got the advantage of launch before the new Passat. See what happens in coming months as the Passat bluemotion is heavily equipped including all new park assist.

I think non-Skoda owners are complaining more about Skoda A.S.S but owner like Vipul is always praising Skoda service.I love Skoda design more than VW (Except Fabia) and i always feel Octavia front grill carried the grorious look of 1980's Merc E-Class.Octavia was wonderful product and Skoda's poor market intelligence made and car to suffer early death in India. I still remember one of 3 year old Autocar India featured Octavia with Odometer reading more than 6,00,000 spotted at Israel with a good condition. I do not know how many cars in Indian market will cross 5,00,000 kms.

If i have 30L Budject i will prefer to buy Superb 3.6v6FSI than than BMW Corporate edition/Merc C-Class/Honda Accord/Toyota Camry/Nissan Teana/VW Passat etc.

I do believe that Skoda and Fiat are in the same league with better products in their arsenal and they have to pay attention to boost customer confidence by improving quality of  after sale service which effecting the sales.Skoda can regain its market share with the launch of Rapid which will give a strong challenge to Vento,Verna,Fiesta and City. 

Jai Hind

Well,in my views a Fabia with a boot may sell in good numbers.Why?Let me explain,Skoda is still considered a premium brand over the VW,don't believe?Just go into the market,and hence Skoda sells higher number of cars as compared to VW,just see the current numbers too for Laura and Superb.

The Fabia also has the advantage of a slightly raised stance too and if Fabia sedan comes then it will also have it,resulting in a good headroom and I am sure the Skoda car will be placed slightly cheaper too.

@Durango Dude: We don't know for sure which one is the Rapid. The very first pic has a mean car, 2nd pic looks like a Laura CS (lol) and third one is nothing that we wont lose in the crowd.

IMO the new design code adopted by VW post the Scirocco has put it ahead of Skoda.

For the segment talked about this car looks good and is going to be a winner. VW might slowly make skoda compete in the lower segment against Maruti and Hyundai's to meet the numbers and make VW compete in the premium segment.

+1 to Sekardhana:

Already Skoda is making some wonders in the premium market,even after some horrific A.S.S. stories.In case skoda brings some really good product then it can be bought hand-to-hand by the customers even if it is not highlighted at all,because people have started trusting the Skoda.

skodalaurettascoop.jpg

We bring you the first clear pictures of Skoda's all-new midsize saloon, the Lauretta. This new saloon, previously thought to have been named Rapid, is Skoda's answer to the hugely competitive C-segment.

The Lauretta borrows design cues from the Skoda Fabia and its German cousin, the VW Vento. It will share engines with the Vento, which means it will come with a 1.6-litre, 105bhp petrol and a 1.6-litre 105bhp diesel, mated to a five-speed manual transmission.

Keeping the positioning of the two brands in mind, we expect the Lauretta to be priced slightly below the VW Vento in a price range of Rs 7-9 lakh. The Lauretta is expected to be launched around October this year, with deliveries starting from December 2011.

For more details on the Lauretta, pick up Autocar India's 12th anniversary issue on sale now.

source: ACIAerospeedcars2011-08-31 09:53:35

Lauretta is new Skoda saloon

Skoda-Lauretta_scoop.jpg

We bring you the first clear pictures of Skoda's all-new midsize saloon,

the Lauretta. This new saloon, previously thought to have been named

Rapid, is Skoda's answer to the hugely competitive C-segment.

The Lauretta borrows design cues from the Skoda Fabia and its German

cousin, the VW Vento. It will share engines with the Vento, which means

it will come with a 1.6-litre, 105bhp petrol and a 1.6-litre 105bhp

diesel, mated to a five-speed manual transmission.

Keeping the positioning of the two brands in mind, we expect the

Lauretta to be priced slightly below the VW Vento in a price range of Rs

7-9 lakh. The Lauretta is expected to be launched around October this

year, with deliveries starting from December 2011.

For more details on the Lauretta, pick up Autocar India's 12th anniversary issue on sale now.

source: autocarindia.com

P.S mods pls change the thread title