Anand Sivaraj

Skoda Rapid, now launched

Pricing of the Rapid will be a notch below the Vento, I guess. I have always fancied Skoda's interior quality to that of VW: which is more plain and workman like. Hope the audio system comes with USB/AUX connectivity. Good to hear that the diesel is more refined in the Rapid: but again that may be subjective.

I don't think Skoda's engine is any way different from that of the VW,it is the best diesel unit on this side of 10 Lk.

@DD Apart from the front grill and lights everything is similar,including the interiors.

@Durango dude:

+1 to the fact mentioned by you.

I myself hasn't driven the new Jetta but a cousin of mine did it and soon after the TD,he went to the Skoda dealer here(C&T motors)and booked a Laura TDI A/T for him even without a test drive.

Actually he took my Laura at the time of testing the Jetta and said on returning "Teri 15 ki Laura unki 19 ki Jetta se jyada badhiya hai(your Laura seems to be better than the Jetta)".Then we went and checked out a Laura A/T and he booked it now,will be posting the pics of the new Laura within 15 days.

@Crazy Doc:

Actually what I feel is that most of the steering mounted controls are not that convenient.Seriously try to understand what I am mentioning now:-

At the times you drive in heavy city traffic or high-speed highway drives(120+ kph),you really need to blow the horn a bit more than you do it normally and at that time I find the controls uncomfy because they are touched while blowing the horn and then they frustrate.In fact at high highway speeds sometimes you have just a second to blow the horn(for stopping the front-running car from changing the lanes)and then those buttons are pressed which results in frustration again.

About Rapid,what I feel is that the car is simply perfect only front suspension needs to be a bit on the tighter side,nothing else.About engine,I feel that Hyundai's 1.6 CRDi VGT is still leagues ahead this engine,in fact it is the best engine in the 10 lacs price basket.Or maybe Ford's new 1.5 TDCi,I love this engine for its responsiveness.TSiVipul2011-11-02 15:42:08

About engine' date='I feel that Hyundai's 1.6 CRDi VGT is still leagues ahead this engine,in fact it is the best engine in the 10 lacs price basket.Or maybe Ford's new 1.5 TDCi,I love this engine for its responsiveness.[/quote']

The VW groups 1.6 is light years ahead of it's competitors.

I have driven both Vento and Verna a lot,Verna have a lot of Turbo lag,it's a pain in the a## to drive in the city and out on highways it Handles like a boat.V dubs gear box is also smoother than that of the rest.

Expect some Skoda DNA elements like Robust build, Better Suspension, & Driveability in this car over Vento on which it's built for Skoda's Mini-limo project.

Btw, This car is having more Improved Music System over Vento & is also having MMC & Aux-in/I-Pod connectivity as a standard feature.

About engine' date='I feel that Hyundai's 1.6 CRDi VGT is still leagues ahead this engine,in fact it is the best engine in the 10 lacs price basket.Or maybe Ford's new 1.5 TDCi,I love this engine for its responsiveness.[/quote']

I agree with you TSi on Ford 1.5 TDCi engine but not on New Verna's 1.6 CRDi. No doubt the latter is Silent & more Refined as its rivals but its 128PS are very Unrealistic unlike others & Hyundai engines are not good in longeivity as compared to VW or Skoda engines which are known to last ~3-4lac kms very easily.

@Crazy Doc and Dr Nishu:

Okay here is a mistake committed by me saying "Hyundai's CRDI is very good",but still I am quite firm at my point,the engine may not have as linear power delivery as of a VW but the way it picks the pace is simply impressive.And yes,its refined too.

Leave the TDCi as its really out of the reach of the others.

@Crazy Doc:

Being true,turbo lag seems to be something very small and negligible but projected very big.I am driving a corolla D-4D and I can bet on it.Okay it may be there but it can't do anything.My simple question,don't you know how to play with the gearbox?If yes,then its better I keep silence and if no,then go and learn driving again.

I have driven a new Verna for more than 1300 kms in a single day(24 hours)and I can bet that if you know how to play with the gearbox and are ready for some really unpredictable handling then you will understand why I am saying it as one of the best diesel engines,but I am sure you don't know that art.

This is an art only an underpowered diesel(Corolla) driver like us can learn and only an enough-powered(Cruze) diesel driver can master.

@Tsi vipul

You may like cars with turbo lag,under powered engines and boat like handling but that does not make them good cars.

Most people who are knowledgeable about cars don't like these sort of things.But to you these may be things that makes a great car.

I may not be a great driver like you but I'm certainly not foolish enough to argue with a person who spents 15Lks on some ......... so don't expect me to reply to your illogical comments of yours from here on.

@Crazy Doc:

I am really sorry if any of my words have hurt you.Please be cool minded,we are here to share and your experience is definitely more than mine,so you can point out my mistakes and I am ready to correct them.

Okay,anyway leave it.

Firstly about handling:

I am sure that handling does not have anything to do with the engine(forget the weight of engine for sometime).Am I right?

Secondly about turbo lag:

Only first gear is where you may encounter it,else the formula is simple.Start the engine,put the first gear,but since the engine feels free in first so the lag doesn't effect that much.Now as you reach 3-3.5k rpm put the second gear and same way shift up at or after 3k rpm and see,the turbo lag is really nothing.ITS OUR BAD HABIT OF DRIVING WITH HALF CLUTCH PRESSED IN HIGHER GEARS WHICH RESULTS IN RPMs FALLING DOWN THE POWERBAND AND FEELING OF LAG.

Thirdly about the 15 lacs thing:

As we say in hindi "BANDAR KYA JAANE ADRAK KA SWAAD"smiley17.gif(in other words,only owner can know the pros and cons of a thing depending on his/her needs),do I need to say anything more?

At last,I am not at all a great driver,and I know it better than anyone else(I know the foolishness I do sometimes),but according to your logic,I am also driving a 160 bhp,1.8 TSI and irrespective of the price of petrol and high maintenance I frequently drive it and take it on very long journeys,now what about that?

Skoda Rapid launched at Rs 6.75

Skoda has launched the Rapid saloon in India at a starting price of Rs

6.75 lakh, ex-showroom Delhi. The Rapid is available in both petrol and

diesel engine options, and offered with manual and automatic variants.

Built on the same platform as the Vento (code: VW251), the Skoda

iteration (code SK: 251) shares most mechanical bits with the VW saloon

which includes engines as well. Hence, the Rapid is powered by the same

1.6 petrol and diesel motors both of which develop 105bhp, but in a

slightly different state of tune.

In the looks department, the headlights, the grille and the fogs are

similar to Skoda

So finally yesterday one of the most awaited cars in India was launched during a grand celebration in Delhi the car is Skoda Rapid.

Rapid is available in both petrol and diesel models. And both models

having three-three variants but the company has offered AT option in mid

and top-end variants of petrol model. The new Skoda Rapid variants

along with their prices are:

The petrol model variants are

Active (6.75 lakhs)

Ambition (7.09 lakhs)

Elegance (7.99 lakhs)

Ambition AT (8.09 lakhs)

Elegance AT (8.99 lakhs)

The diesel model variants are

Active (7.95 lakhs)

Ambition (8.29 lakhs)

Elegance (9.19 lakhs).

Even Skoda Rapid is having five colors like Cappuccino beige, Candy

white, Flash Red, Brilliant Silver and Deep Black Pearl. Overall, the

new Skoda sedan is expected value for money with all these features and

competitive price range.

Thanks. These are great pics.

Skoda Rapid is having five colors like Cappuccino beige, Candy white, Flash Red, Brilliant Silver and Deep Black Pearl. Overall, the new Skoda sedan is expected value for money with all these features and competitive price range.

Looks are very "Fabia"ish... a quick look will give the impression of what the Tatas did with Indica > Indigo.

Placing it below Vento will somehow get it a few sales.. but it has to thrive in the same segment with City and Verna.

Vento itself being stripped of features and this has even less than its cousin - may pose a problem!!

A top-end Diesel Rapid costing close to 11 on-road without parking sensors, USB support for media playback and No Steering Controls!! very difficult to digest... add to this the hatch-to-sedan + borrowed-from-vento looks aren't worth the appeal.

It sure might me a successor to Octavia, but its definitely not as good a replacement smiley1.gif

I'd had preferred a redesigned Octavia with a downsized engine instead

These pics are really making crazy to me and will make anyone but when i see it's starting range then i was surprised that why it is so expensive(Rs 7000000) ????What the reason behind it ???

@neeraj: Couldn't agree more with you.

I don't know why but every manufacturer is getting into this so called badge reengineering. Micra/Pulse, Vento/Rapid...and more to come

I agree that this reengineering saves cost but should it be so same.

The Rapid from Skoda will come factory fitted with a 2-DIN audio player

on the top of the line Elegance variant with AUX input as well as an

SD/MMC card reader connectivity options. Top variants on this car also

get electronically regulated climate control while the base Active and

Ambition variants have to make do with a manually regulated air con.

Got the chance to check out Skoda Rapid TDi yesterday.

Seen both of its base(Active) & top-end Elegance variant there.

Mid-spec Ambition was in Transit then.

Pros noticed:

-Gorgeous looks(though subjective). Resembles more to a Laura than Fabia(a big +).

-Excellent Fit-Finish & Best in class Paint lusture(Rapid in white looks brilliant).

-Interiors also looked brilliant, Skoda 4-spoke steering wheel in Ambition & Elegance variant is brilliant to look, feel & use. While the base variant gets 3-spoke steering wheel.

-Good Specification levels in each variant, even base variant gets Rear AC vents & Spot reading lamp for Read seat to both sides.

Base variant gets Brown-Black Interiors, while other 2 variants are having Brown-Beige combination.

-Engine is pretty Silent & sounds very Refined. Gets smoother & smoother as the revs increases. Really the 'GEM OF A DIESEL ENGINE'.

-Music System sounds great. SD/MMC card compatibility is a Another step up in the compact media entertainment.

-Rear Seat Comfort is Good & much better than puny Nissan Sunny.

-Both Space & Rear looks are also good but Triangular design theme around Number plate is a new concept & can Reserve the opinion of the viewers.