amair

1951 Morris Minor Modification

Hi everyone,

I have got this 1951 morris minor from my dad. This car actually belonged to my grand father. I want to modify this car so that it can be used occasionally.

i had spoken to some mechanics about what are my options, these are the few things they have suggested.

1. installing a Fiat 118NE or a Maruti Gypsy Engine along with the gearbox

2. changing the front breaks to discs breaks of maruti esteem

3. modifying the shocks

4. strengthening the chassis

5. changing the Dynamo to alternator

etc....

i plan to go for alloy wheels and do some cosmetic changes to the appearance

What else should i do and are these suggestions fine?

I want to turn it into a customized car..... smiley1.gif

just need all of yours support....

will upload my car pics soon.

thanks

Oh god please DO NOT ruin this car by doing things like that!! Please get someone who can maintain the original car to its original specifications and run the car as it is meant to be!! Do not put alloys and do ANY cosmetic changes. You would be the biggest fool if you actually do so. If you still want to do things like that, sell the car off. atleast you will make a little bit of money out of it.

Oh god please DO NOT ruin this car by doing things like

that!! Please get someone who can maintain the original car to its

original specifications and run the car as it is meant to be!! Do not

put alloys and do ANY cosmetic changes. You would be the biggest fool if

you actually do so. If you still want to do things like that' date=' sell the

car off. atleast you will make a little bit of money out of it. [/quote']

I really respect your views.It will definitely hamper its originality,

and its vintage value, thats for sure. My dad has already restored 2

Baby Austins, a Morris Oxford and an Adler car, so i think i have some

idea about classic and vintage. smiley1.gif

But as you said that I'll be a "fool" if i do what i intend to do, I

dont think so. I have seen loads of Modified Morris Minor in the net

and I think all of them of are not "fools".

As far as selling the car is concern I am not selling the car at any cost as it has lots of memories attached. And already made up my mind...

Kindly please advise me on the technical aspect of the mechanical work of the project.

I am new to this forum CYRUS43 kindly please advice me.

a few pics of my car

IMAG0471%20%28Medium%29.jpg

IMAG0472%20%28Medium%29.jpg

IMAG0470%20%28Medium%29.jpg

IMAG0431%20%28Large%29%20%28Medium%29.jp

IMAG0430%20%28Medium%29.jpg

10 years back we had done some paint job and mechanicals works. Presently most of the car parts is original.

neways i want to convert it to a customised car...

it should somewhat look like one of these...

26131_60650.jpg

3421988273_cb7dd25829.jpg

2.jpg

3603826310_233d567c2f_b%20%28Small%29.jp3603826310_233d567c2f_b%20%28Small%29.jp

will b awaiting your reply...

thnx....

I will not. As Cyrus has rightly pointed out if you compromise the originality then the car become almost worthless. Better buy some old banger and fix it to your heart's content.

Sir I understand your point. I really UNDERSTAND the CONSEQUENCES, as I pointed out my Dad has a passion for Classic and Vintage cars. I know the after i do the modifications the vintage value of the car will become NIL. But I want to go ahead with my plan. I really don't care about it value after my modification, as I am NEVER going to sell the car, so i want to use it on a daily basis or may be occasionally.

Sir with all due respect each person has their own likings. And it is not necessary that two people will have the same perception. I am very soon going to start the project.

I just want to ask the viability of my project in terms of its mechanical and technical aspect. And want some more suggestions. Its best be answered by some one who knows about customization and has an interest for customized cars.

Is there any person in the forum who can help me out???? smiley5.gif

One of dad's car which he is restoring..

IMAG0398%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMAG0397%20%28Small%29.jpg

Its a 1927 Baby Austin (Austin 7). Its in running condition. I drove it from Kolkata all the way to our farm house in Hooghly. It was fun.

Allright. Look, The car seems to be in very good condition and can easily be restored. You have most of the original fittings on the car too, but they need to be refurbished. And these engines are built like tanks. All the components are available in the market in terms of mechanical reliability. Look, It finally is your car, so you can go ahead and do an engine swap if you would like (in which case, get a gypsy engine). What you could also do is have it mechanically up to date and cosmetically very original. Which means NO ALLOYS! I do this as a hobby too, I know what you must be going through. Trust me, It id better to have a car that looks original but is mechanically up to date than have a bling mobile.

thanks a lot Cyrus for the suggestions. Well since u are in UK you must have seen a lot of Hot Rods and Custom cars. When i went to Dubai I saw some awesome Hot Rods and since then I made up my mind to transform my Morris Minor into a custom Morris.

Well I really respect the Vintage and Classic cars as I have grown up with it. I also believe in restoring rather than Modifying, but this car i really wanna customize rather than restoring it. As far as allow wheels and cosmetic changes are concerned I will definitely rethink about it, taking your suggestion.

If anyone else has an idea about the car (morris minor) please give me some of your valuable tips..

thanks