RKNG

Hyundai Santro review

Hi friends,
                     Would like to share the reviews of the Santros we have owned. First one was brought in 1998 end, just when Hyundai launched it and we were among the first customers. The car was primarily used by my father. It was the non powersteering model. Morever since my father had a heart operation , we were on the lookout for the least stressful car to drive. we appreciaetd it for its smooth engine and high seating postion and sweet gearshift. . At that time all inclusive it was 3.05 lakhs, when the comparable zen was 3.76lakhs.

We had it for around 50,000 kms with not a rattle or squeak. Everything was like brand new but that has more to do with the exceptional care father takes. The tyres had just started to fade out but it was usable. The only hitch was brake judder after around 1 hour drive that is when the discs get hot. Thankfully Hyundai later switched to ventilated discs on the 1.1 models.

We had to sell our santro just because it didnot have power steering. We sold it(got a good price because of the way father had maintained it, 3 years old). Then we immidaiately brought the new santro zipplus 1.1 top end model. We have it still with us now after 5 and a half years. It has covered 80,000 plus kms. Only the tyres have been changed,even the clutch is original but that maybe because my father?fs main drive is the NH 47 and not the city. The engine and gearbox combo is as refined and smooth as ever. Only negatives which aplies to both generations is that the ride in that back is too bouncy , but ok in the front( so for long drives with family we take our indica). Since the car is used only by father and mother , this is ok. The car is parked near coastal area as my father works near... but still no rusting or paint faiding,plastic , seat fabric wear after all these 5+ years.

The powersteering is one of the lightest and most responsive ones around. The engine/gearbox and steering combo is what makes this car terribly easy to drive... we have not looked into mileage as we drive 100% with ac on but still we get around 15km/l overall for both versions.

My family is planning to purchase the new santro I10 because father will be retiring soon. we are planning for the automatic version with sunroof, because father?fs drive will be mainly restricted to town.But we are reluctant to sell our current santro and will be keeping it just like a family member. So without a shadow of doubt I recommend the Hyundai to anyone. Servicing is also ok with the dealer and overall a very satisfying ownership experience...

i m also a satisfied santro owner..its a gr8 car to own..it has got superb built quality , smooth engine easy gear shift n also a good space inside..only downside is the backseat ride..but still i recommend it to all my frens..its totally a trouble free car..santro has knocked down the old zen 1st then wagen R was her next target..then came zen estilo which was not enough to fight with santro the last one was spark, ppl had expectations from this car but it could not break santros popularity.

Some dealerships are good, but the majority are ch****.

I have had both the Zen Auto and now the Santro AUto. The Santro auto is far superior to the MS Auto. However, the old alloy engine in the Zen beats the Santro (and also the MS 1.1) hollow.

Good Review RKNG ,

You are right the 98 Model Santro when first launched in October till 2004 Santro was better and WagonR wasnt Quite good at that time and even zen its was Overpriced, but presently the MS is having a good stratergy and they are right ahead of Hyundai

Cheerssmiley20.gif

Nice Review. I sold my Santro Xing last month after using it for 4 1/2 years. It was in perfect condition after all these years & never had any engine trouble.  I have purchased Hyundai's I10 & it is a worthy successor to Santro with a better ride quality & cool interiors.

Thanks for the lovely review of your 1998 and 2001 Santros , RKNG. I admire HMIL as a company and the values it has. I have never owned a Hyundai though. But have driven a Santro and like the features the small car is packed with. Hyundais were first imported in the USA in the mid- 1980's- the model was Hyundai Pony. It earned the tag of a cheap Asian import that is not reliable.Remember the Americans and Europeans preferred any western make of car to an Asian one earlier.The Japanese with their superiorly engineered, economical  and reliable cars broke the backbones of the US car makers as early as the 1970's, after the oil shock. And now the Koreans have done it. Any car maker who has penetrated and made a success story in the very competitive and stringent US market, is acclaimed all over the world. This year in 2007, I was happily stunned to read that Hyundai is one of the very trusted brand of cars in the US market.

I have a 2006 Santro with 15000 km on the clock and completely agree with RKNG. Build Quality and features are excellent for the price. Rear ride quality is a big issue!

I have seen 120KMPH on the GQ with hardly a murmur from the engine. Mileage is only 17 on the highway though 

I have a 2006 Santro with 15000 km on the clock and completely agree with RKNG. Build Quality and features are excellent for the price. Rear ride quality is a big issue!

I have seen 120KMPH on the GQ with hardly a murmur from the engine. Mileage is only 17 on the highway though 

Maybe if the Suspension is changed to a Better one this bumpy ride problem may get solved , and thats a Pretty much decent Fuel econnomy figures you are getting , but the newly launched i10 is giving better milage is what the users have told me

Regards,

Priya