anirudh

pathetic mileage

how can i improve the pathetic mileage of my fiat palio 1.2 petrol car which recently gave me abt 9.8 kmpl in local city traffic with ac used 80 % of the times as measured in the tank full to full method.i use unleaded fuel.i heard there were devices which increase fuel efficiency like magnets etc.

how can i improve the pathetic mileage of my fiat palio 1.2 petrol car which recently gave me abt 9.8 kmpl in local city traffic with ac used 80 % of the times as measured in the tank full to full method.i use unleaded fuel.i heard there were devices which increase fuel efficiency like magnets etc.
I think this is not pathetic for the italian tank. In city almost all cars give the same kind of mileage. May be some problem with your driving habit or what i know is the fiat  is not a economy vehicle as far petrol is concerned.

i used palio for more than 6 years or say 71K. According to me you are getting good F.E. I never got more than 12 in city. Normally, I used to get F.E. around 10 km/l. Actually mine was original palio and not the NV model. NV was said to be better in F.E.

Whatever company says about mileage of the car, the truth is if you drive in city with AC on and practicing normal driving (55-60 max speed on 5th gear, turning off engine when the light is for more than 60 secs, checking up tyre pressure every week), then you can get max of 12-13kmpl. if you are not using AC then make it 15

P.S. I usually get 10kmpl with my i20 in delhi traffic which I think is quiet decent. 

Mileage of around 10kmpl is ok for a Palio 1.2, even the Jap tins just deliver about 12 in city, so nothing to worry about it.

If your car is pre NV, ie, pre 2003, there was some mis-calibration in your Speedo. Even though you might get about 10kmpl,( based on your odo) the actual  would be 12kmpl. This problem was solved only on NV models, so those appears to be more FE.

If you have a GPS phone, just check the actual distance for which your Palio shows 9.8kms, your GPS will show overr 11kms.

In reality, all cars shows about 5kms or so more than the actual speed at around 80kmph, but Palio shows exact or few kmph less on the speedo. This makes Palio appears a drunkard, but its just a MYTH.

Yes, bala have said the exact real thing. 

But.. 

but Palio shows exact or few kmph less on the speedo. This makes Palio appears a drunkard' date=' but its just a MYTH.[/quote']

No, my dear its not a myth..

Instead this error is due to the Improper calibration of Speedo-gear with the Tyre size, which Fiat forgot to do or left out while adapting Palio for Indian conditions specific a decade back.

But later on(after 2-3years) they realised this thing & then re-introduced as Palio-nv, but it was too late by that time.
dr_nishu2011-05-10 19:47:18

Now I really wonder what kind of mileage does my Swift give me. I usually get a figure of 16 kmpl in city driving cycle with the AC on. So does this translate to 14 kmpl or so with what Bala has mentioned?