vikky83

CRUZE or LAURA

can u help me decide b/w laura & cruze......my preference is 1.driving pleasure,
2.effectiveness of AC with climate control,
3.comfortable seating as me n most of my family members      are 6feet tall.....
4.also i donot wanna spend wopping amount on A S S....By budget is 15L....wanna choose b/w cruze AT or laura MT....

----------

No salutations, signoffs
Use proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalisation
Read the rules
Next time we catch a post infarcting the rules it will be deleted. Some infarcts (not all) are marked in blue.

Thread moved.

moderators
BornFree2011-05-14 10:45:44

Since you have choosen Cruze AT vs Laura MT, Laura only scores in seating and comfort and for other criterias its a tight call. As far as A.S.S is concend stick to chevy.

Why don't you wait for New Passant ? It will be worth the wait

Definitely the laura if your case.

1.8 TSI - The fastest the car in its segment, even competes with the higher segment. Sheer Power unleashed.

Climate control isn't given with petrol as its the base model but if you take the diesel elegance model you will climate control. The Ac cooling is terrific in the petrol to but you have to set it manually which is not hard.

Seating - Laura is extremal comfortable. Unlike the cruze   in which a 5.5 feet person feels uncomfortable sitting behind. So badly cramped up.

Laura petrol will cost you around 12-13 lacks on road. Diesel around 14 lacks for base model.

I bought my laura in jan 2010, i sent it for servicing a couple of months back and the bill turned be rs.18000. which is not so bad.

I recommend going for laura. back then i was searching like you. Cruze is an excellent car with great features, only if the back seat wasnt that cramped i would to buy the car. whats the point of paying 15 lack for a car which provides you space of a maruti 800.

Go for the laura, you will find the smile on you face.

Out of these I'd suggest you to go for Skoda Laura TDi, due to its better looks(purely subjective), Road presence, Comfort, Driveability & Road Handling.

But if you can wait then I'd advice you to wait till May23rd for the launch of Very much Promising Renault Fluence sedan, which will also arrive in the same segment although with less Power for diesel engine(105PS). 

@Pranab*

But does 1.8TSI delivers the power as cruze does,,,,,,i dont think it can generate that massive amount of Torque at high speeds as the Cruze does,,,Also heard ground clearance of Laura is less than cruze.....

But i definetly agree with u about the crucial point raised by u  "whats the point of paying 15 lack for a car which provides you space of a maruti 800".

As i own a maruti zen,,,i dont wanna spend 15L n still compromise with the sitting....

let us see Renault Fluence ,,,,but i dont thnk renault can beat the class of skoda n chevy.

but what about the ASS issues related to SKODA,,,,,,after reading and hearing so much abt their dealers, i am a bit reluctant to go 4 laura,,,,,n also heard a lot that Laura AC is not effective in very hot conditions,,,

Also the spare parts of skoda dents heavily on your pocket after warranty period is over,,,,,,n they donot have any warranty extention scheme,,,,

can u through some light regarding this aspect.

see note above ---- mods

sgiitk2011-05-14 09:45:41

goin for a petrol version of laura one has to thnk of fuel efficiency,,,,wat is the fuel efficiency of TSI 1.8............I havnt took a test drive of petrolversion of laura

Also note i am upgrading myself to D segment car just for driving pleasure and cruise at high speeds....i donot wanna compromise in this part.......If i can get this in petrol version its ok,,,,but sheer power is must

My annual driving km are arnd 10000-12000...

see note above re spelling etc.

sgiitk2011-05-14 09:46:22

@vikky;Since you are new on this forum, you might not know this; Quite a few of our fellow ACI'ans are Skoda owners and they are very unhappy. The after-sales, service cost, maintainence are not good. Although there was news sometime back that Skoda has improved but it could not be verified by our Skoda-owning ACI'ans.

Chevy Cruze is a great car. I know the space management is not good. But you'll have ample power at your disposal and peace of mind!

sgiitk2011-05-14 09:44:35

@Pranab: I find service cost of your almost a year and half Laura at Rs. 18K a little too high. Hope it was only regular service and nothing else. If it's OK with you, can you elaborate on that service cost.

I'd have to say except for maintainence and spare part issue skids does everything else better than the chevy. I drove the chevy recently and wasn't immersed by the ride quality. Gets unsettled on bad roads very easily. Also the interior quality of the earlier version wasn't something to write home about. The all black version though seems promising. Also the engine is a freaking monster.

But I guess the Cruze would still be the more tension free ownership experience. I'd stick to Chevy or wait for the Renault Fluence.

I would suggest you to opt for Cruze AT the reasons  being the turbo lag of the MT is taken care by the AT box also the power penalty due to At box is not much as the engine is already very powerful . Regarding driving pleasure the Best for driving pleasure is surely the Jetta and not the 2 above .

If you can afford to get  the Laura AT then go for it as AT box is excellent and has 30bhp more than the manual box. The space inside the  Laura is a bit more than the Cruze but it is more of a beige and higher seating effect.

I Have done research on both cars for almost 3month and Finally  purchased Cruze

1.driving pleasure, 

>> 100% Cruze. No second thought on that

2.effectiveness of AC with climate control 

>> Both looks ok for me

3.comfortable seating as me n most of my family members      are 6feet tall..... 

>> I think Laura score on this. 6 feet may be little bit unconfortable in Cruze. But you can see few 6feet Cruze owners in team bhp

4.also i donot wanna spend wopping amount on A S S....By budget is 15L....wanna choose b/w cruze AT or laura MT....

>> Skoda A.S.S is very bad.

The sales figures says all.

Skoda Laura

Jan 2010  : 630

Feb 2011  : 538

Mar 2011  : 591

Apr 2011  : 421

Cruze

Jan 2010  : 715

Feb 2011  : 766

Mar 2011  : 834

Apr 2011  : 939

I Have done research on both cars for almost 3month and Finally? purchased Cruze1.driving pleasure' date='? >> 100% Cruze. No second thought on that2.effectiveness of AC with climate control? >> Both looks ok for me3.comfortable seating as me n most of my family members      are 6feet tall.....? >> I think Laura score on this. 6 feet may be little bit unconfortable in Cruze. But you can see few 6feet Cruze owners in team bhp4.also i donot wanna spend wopping amount on A S S....By budget is 15L....wanna choose b/w cruze AT or laura MT....?>> Skoda A.S.S is very bad.

[/quote']

Honestly if you can adjust sitting behind, then definitely hit the cruze. I was in awe of the cruze with the all feature and the beast of the engine. But my dad really felt uncomfortable sitting, so we did not buy the car. If they could only improve the seating better then the car would be a 10/10.   

The 1.8 TSI is faster then the cruze, but the average is terrible around 6. The TDi has enough power and toque which will satisfy you needs. Its fast trust me, i own one. The average is around 10-12. People in the last few years have hated skoda but i believe the company has got better. I got a little high bill but its thats alright, if you want the best you pay. + German makes a big difference. Honestly i will never buy a Japanese car again. The laura AT costed me 15.50 on road mumbai, delhi would be cheaper. I paid 60k to upgrade the Car of most features of the elegance. Only thing extra in the elegance was the 17 inch types and climate control which was 1.5 lacks more.

1 - Driving pleasure - Cruze wins but Laura tdi AT is very near. After the warranty runs out, you can chip engine which make the car 40 bhp faster. Warranty is cancelled if you do it now.

2) Climate control - Cruze wins vs base model.

3) Seating - Laura wins by a mile. I am 5.11, i can not sit straight, i had to slide to and sit.

4) A.S.S - Well its a German so you pay a bit more but thats alright when you drive such a illustrious car.

5) Interiors - Cruze has dirty plastic interiors which are the not the most attractive in the segment.

6 ) Exteriors - Laura looks way better, I often see people taking 2-3 looks at the car.

7 ) resale value - Skoda has an excellent resale value. You will get a lot for it compared to cruze. Also the dealer had told to to sell the cruze after 3 years. Bought my car for around 15 lacks, after 5 years you will get a minimum and 7 lacks.

8 ) Skoda batch vs Chevy batch - you tell me ?

[

1 - Driving pleasure - Cruze wins but Laura tdi AT is very near. After the warranty runs out' date= you can chip engine which make the car 40 bhp faster. Warranty is cancelled if you do it now.

2) Climate control - Cruze wins vs base model.

3) Seating - Laura wins by a mile. I am 5.11, i can not sit straight, i had to slide to and sit.

4) A.S.S - Well its a German so you pay a bit more but thats alright when you drive such a illustrious car.

5) Interiors - Cruze has dirty plastic interiors which are the not the most attractive in the segment.

6 ) Exteriors - Laura looks way better, I often see people taking 2-3 looks at the car.

7 ) resale value - Skoda has an excellent resale value. You will get a lot for it compared to cruze. Also the dealer had told to to sell the cruze after 3 years. Bought my car for around 15 lacks, after 5 years you will get a minimum and 7 lacks.

8 ) Skoda batch vs Chevy batch - you tell me ?[/quote]

Exterior looka are sort of personal choice. If you ask me cruze wins hands down.

As for resale value, have unfortunately owned a couple of Skodas and currently own Fabia TDi. Down here in Bombay skoda's resale isnt any better than chevy's infact. Both are on the same boat but chevy's resale improved after their 3 years service promise.

6 ) Exteriors - Laura looks way better' date=' I often see people taking 2-3 looks at the car.

8 ) Skoda batch vs Chevy batch - you tell me ?[/quote']

didnt understand dirty plastic interiors?

the cruze has the best looking centre console, a fact many admit, and its plastics are all right , not downright dirty

exteriors, well the previous generation laura was a looker, the cruze is much hotter to look at, white and grey

skoda batch vs chevy batch didnt understand this one