Sign in to follow this  
arun1987c

Used Diesel car under 2L

I was planning to buy a Zen or esteem by this August after getting my promotion in office. But now by seeing the hike in the fuel price, i cannot afford to use a petrol car. So guys, suggest me with a best list of used cars under 2L. May once i can shortlist the cars from the list, we can speak about the final decision.

This would be by daily use car to office and regular weekend drives. A total of 300-350kms a week.

Thread moved: To the right section.
BornFree2011-05-17 14:30:57

A diesel mill under 2L is not a good idea. However, the following options are viable (in the order of preference::)

1. Tata Indica (you have multiple variants that need to be carefully evaluated)

2. Accent CRDi

3. Fiat Palio

These are the value for money options that I can suggest. Barring Fiat Palio, not sure about it's fuel economy and maintenance figures, though it may be available within budget. The Tata brands will sure come with special freebies and addon features like 'rattling noise', 'dull/oxidised paint surface', 'extremely faded plastics'. The Accent and Fiat are expected to fair well in these departments.

With a "s t r e t c h e d" budget (say 2.75 to 3.5L), you can consider

1. Maruti Swift (most preferred)

2. Logan (but expect the odomoter to be nothing less than 80-85000KMs)

Cheers!

... planning to buy a Zen or esteem ...

It is meaningless to buy an Esteem now.  I am finding it extremely difficult to get spares and passable service from Maruti for my Esteem.  Eventhough it is still a good car, you would not find any spares.  Either with Maruti or in the market.  You need to specifically spend a lot of your time running around all unorganized service fellows / raddi-wallahs  to get spares.  And, Maruti's much-touted ASS has almost stopped accepting Esteems for servicing. 

I am not sure about the same about Zen (jelly bean shaped models).  May be,

you will get spares and service. 

Instead, I strongly recommend you to go in for a Logan.  Even a 80K to 90K run Logan is any day better than these two.    Frugal engine, good gearbox, very spacious cabin, good AC and excellent service support from M&M.  What more you can ask from a second hand Diesel car ?  Thanks to the new lease of life with M&M exclusively, Logan has got some more productive years to go.  And, the M&M service is any day better. 

Always remember one thing.  You buy only once.  But, you need service and spares for years to come. 

Buying a good 2nd Hand Diesel under 2L would be a difficult task as you will get vehicle which has already crossed 80-90K at your budget.

Also a diesel vehicle which is used for more than 80K to 90K will require special treatment in terms of service and spares and overall it would become a costly and tiring affair to choose Diesel  keeping aside daily running expenses.

At your budget and considering your weekly running I suggest to look for Qualis (Especially the bottle green or Maroon colour with side cladding which was a special edition and was the latest before Qualis was discontinued) instead of going for diesel hatch or sedan.

toyota-qualis-car.giftoyota-qualis.jpg

I am suggesting Qualis because it is proven vehicle, fuel efficient and most suitable for long drives. Also the driving comfort is best as compared with other diesels.

Stay away from 2nd hand Indica diesel as it would turn-out to be an unpleasant ownership experience. Fuel efficiency may be good but overall experience would not be cherishable.

Since you have a comfortable budget of 2L you can opt for CNG version of Maruti Suzuki vehicles as they have very good selection at different budgets.

.. At your budget and considering your weekly running I suggest to look for Qualis ...

Forget it.  You will never get a `running Qualis' for around 2 lakhs. 

Ask any taxi wallah, the going rate for a well maintained Qualis is around 4.5L.

At around 2 lacs, you can get Over a lakh kms driven;

-Zen Diesel(cheap, best & easy to drive).

-Esteem Diesel(Best option but you don't get any1 below Rs.2.5 lacs).

-Lancer Diesel(Very expensive spare parts, rare to come across the good one).

-Accent CRDi(easily available but is high on maintenance & is Unreliable too=Avoid it).

Even 1.5-2lakh kms driven Logan won't come in that(2 lakh) price band.

@Arun,

buying a old age diesel 'n running behind it for everything and wasting money, you can get a decent used alto or 5 speed 800 and extract decent FE.

The best bet for your budget could be a

-used indica( spares 'n maintainance are cheaper)

-used Palio, if you run from pillar to post, you may even get a Palio MJD at this cost

-used IKON D, do check availablity of spares before buying

Most of the suggestions are for Logan and were asking me to stretch the budget for some better options. If i stretch the budget till 3L, will it be enough to get a nice diesel beast.

@creativebala - Im 6.1 feet tall, so will it be a good option to think about a 800 or Alto.

@Arun,

For 3L, you can get good Swift D or a Fiesta. Both are good. You might get  a 70+ kms driven or a 2nd owner 4-5yr old car for this budget.

But this option will be faaaaaar better than a Zen/Esteem/Ikon/Accent/Lancer/Palio Diesels

Wowwwwwww.... I love this statement Bala. If I find a nice fiesta, i will not think about anything else (other than budget) and fetch it first. So nice of you man, you gave a nice idea for me... I never knew that i can get fiesta at this price