a.madhur

Any reasons not to buy i10?

I started a new thread few days back regarding suggestions buying a new car and it was instantly closed by MODS suggesting there were already similar posts floating around.

My mistake! I should have read all the posts including the forum rules. Hope I don't make any mistake in my second post.

After reading almost all the threads/ posts in AAA that have been started/posted since the beginning of this year, I shortlisted i10 Asta (MT) petrol and Ritz Zxi as my first car. (going for the top variants because air bags are in my list of priority).

TD both cars this weekend and found them good. Ritz was declined by my wife because of not so "flashy" interior looks. We both liked i10 but just wanted to clear some doubts before we finalize it -

Per many posts here, there seems to be some issues with i20 - rattling, ac, underpowered. My question is that do we have similar or any other known issues in i10 Asta?

I understand there are many other cars in the same segment from other manufacturers but are there any reasons I should NOT go for i10?

I'll be driving mostly in the city (gurgaon) with occasional highway driving during weekends.

Like i20, i10 is also having Steering Rattle problem also, but its AC & Engine power/performance is very good, though its fuel efficiency is not that good as expected in its segment.

Since Petrol prices are skywards now, so better is to consider Diesel option if you drive daily.

If not Ritz Diesel then wait for the new Chevrolet Beat TCDi diesel, which is going to be launched very soon(upto mid June2011).

It really seems to be a very promising product with Industry best fuel efficiency & lowest Ownership costs.

@nishu; Rs.4 on the cards for diesel. Sooner or later they will have to deonctrol fuels. Deficit in budget will force then. At present 15% of GDP is going into subsidies. sgiitk2011-05-24 04:38:31

Even if they decontrol the price, Diesel has to be priced lower than Petrol as Diesel drives our nation. Even if Petrol cost= Diesel cost, mileage & torque will be almost 1.5times more than petrol, so my choice would be a Beat MJD.

The power of Beat is going to be 140Nm @1750 Rpm. Also there are talks of launching VGT engine, so more linear power, FE, what else required man?

i10 is a good car. No car is perfect. Even the Swift rattles from more directions than the i10, so will anyone not recommend it, I think not. Given our road conditions all cars are bound to rattle sooner or later. For short distances and city commute, petrol hatch will be the best suited, whatever people may say about diesel. If you want to really penny pinch go for a factory fitted LPG/CNG kit. i10 is better put together than most hatches and therefore a little expensive.

i10 is a good car. No car is perfect. Even the Swift rattles from more directions than the i10' date=' so will anyone not recommend it, I think not. Given our road conditions all cars are bound to rattle sooner or later. For short distances and city commute, petrol hatch will be the best suited, whatever people may say about diesel. If you want to really penny pinch go for a factory fitted LPG/CNG kit. i10 is better put together than most hatches and therefore a little expensive.
[/quote']

I think DD has summed it up perfectly and it should take care of all your queries. I always thought that i10 was slightly overpriced but then recently, I drove the car since a friend of mine bought it. The car las lavish interiors compared to other cars in its category. Its good to drive and quality looks top notch for its category. I definitely recommend it. I think the extra cost is justified considering the features, quality and service Hyundai is providing.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

I too agree with DD. After reading various posts in this forum it seems every single car has some or the other problem (major or minor) so at the end it bogs down to how much can you compromise!

Having owned the Accent and still having the Santro (i10 precursor) and a whole series of Maruti cars since 1987 till 2005 I will say that Hyundai cars though more conservative have a definite edge in absence of  rattles and minor gripes. Of course every car (even a Rolls) needs periodic care. My experience is that Hyundais are as inexpensive as equivaltnt Maruti's to maintain, and are far less of a hassle.

Hyundai i10 is a good car but steering rattling issue is a big concern for not recommending  i10 but still no problems have been reported  in 2011 models as far I know.

I will recommend you go for Chevrolet Beat diesel which will be coming in few months.

EDIT: Steering rattling issue is design flaw and cannot be compared to rattling in swift.But still if you made your mind for i10 go for it.

GOLF2011-05-24 12:34:01

-A. Madhur -- Go for i10. The only problem is the petrol price. But otherwise the car is a King in terms of space, maintainance-free, ride quality and After sales support.

@nishu; Rs.4 on the cards for diesel.

On which cards ? I see all King cards for Diesel. Lets see when Diesel is going to get the up-jerk. Not for now I believe.
driftpunk2011-05-24 13:04:53

@nishu; Rs.4 on the cards for diesel. Sooner or later they will have to deonctrol fuels.

Even then Diesel will remain cheaper than Petrol, instead Govt is taking alternative route by taxing Diesel cars higher(than present ones) to get rid of these Subsidies. But at present this is the 'Era of Diesel cars' going now. 

Regarding car consideration;

Don't take Steering rattle of i10 or i20 lightly as it's the trouble with its essential component which drives the car & one can't afford to live with trouble for a long.

Even few fatalities are also reported due to this.

If the same could've been happened with any car in Europe or US, these cars would've been banned by now, whereas in India Hyundai is churning out more & more cars.

On the other hand, till to date no Maruti Suzuki have been came with such a Serious flaw, kudos to proper testing & quality MSIL Engineering.smiley32.gif

Try to buy any of the Maruti Suzuki car(new Wagon-R or Ritz or New Swift) or you can also consider Beat also, though its an slow selling car but its Technically perfect car for our conditions.

Already the truckers are threatening strikes if diesel goes up. Agreed diesel will (unfortunately imho) remain cheaper than petrol for the foreseeable future. If you price fuel on calorific content then diesel should be more expensive. It is costlier in Germany, UK, US, but not in France (farmers + truckers lobbies).

I will go for the i10 Kappa with my eyes shut.

sgiitk2011-05-25 04:03:05

I being an i10 Kappa owner second both Durango Dude and Sgiitk,not recommending i10 is a matter of price,because i10 kappa simply intrudes into the swift territory where people does not like it(Intelligent people or local automobile experts..smiley36.gif)I'd say that i10 is the best put together hatchback in the segment and is a brilliant performer too.

When it comes to competition,I'd say that "Just take a test drive of all the everything available in the market and everything will be clear".

@A.Madhur:

Mine is the older one,that's what we call i10 Kappa.

I'd suggest you to go and get an i10 Kappa2 any day,its a great car only you need to get some wider tyres because stock tyres really limits the capabilities of the car.

Many people doubt the FE of the car so my reply is:-

About FE I really can't comment because I have never measured it but surely can say it delivers 15+ on highways and 10+ in city.These are the figures when the car seldom gets the third gear before 45 and fifth gear before 120 because I try hard to get my Laura's performance out of my i10 too....(I am stupidsmiley2.gif)

i10 is very bumpy.. even on smooth roads u could feel it.. but ritz or swift scores well in this area... not ultra smooth like figo but good enough.. I felt very comfortable TDing ritz and swift when compared to TDing i10

@parthi: I don't think the i10 is as bumpy as you think; there must have been something wrong with the TD car, I have ridden in an auto i10 on streets of Salem, TN and I didn't find it as 'bumpy' as you make it out to be.

@D.Dude: I also tried driving my friend's new i10 sportz and felt the same bumpiness on a normal tar road.. I think its also a relative term.. I felt riding on ritz and swift were much softer when compared to i10.. probably you should take an average indian road (with potholes), and TD both cars i10 and (ritz or swift).. then u could see that difference..I am yet to try i10 on a potholes road anyway but read similar experiences on many threads in internet... most of the owners loathe its bumpiness.. but this is an advantage on other side.. u will never get the underbody hit that easily like figo.. infact where even ritz or swift will get, i10 will escape... as a said, its spring thing. Imagine stiff spring on which car body sits..there will be little vertical movement and thus no underbody hit but bumpy ride.. imaging soft spring.. there will be more vertical movement providing smooth ride eliminating all bumpiness but it will get underbody hit easily due to this vertical movement (eg:figo)

one should strike a good balance here.. like ritz or swift afaik..

and I fear frequent facelift in hyundai... Kappa2 so soon after kappa?.. facelifts affect resale value of pre-facelift versions.. now that kappa2 also not that good in FE, probably we could expect kappa3?!