Sandy

Mahindra introducing Scorpio Ex

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.has announced the launch of the Scorpio EX, a new, entry-level version of the Scorpio. The new Scorpio is powered by the new 2.5-liter m2DiCR engine with 75 bhp of peak power. Although the Scorpio EX isn

Increasing costs and general improvments to the car have resulted in Scorpio becoming a little expensive hence loosing out on some of its market segment to the Safari. Its a good step to counter the same.

Also, it seems Mahindra is already taking steps to maybe increase the price difference between the upcoming W201 and Scorpio.

Can anyone tell me if Scorpio is available in 4WD in sle variant too,and which engine does the 4WD Scorpio furnishes the 2.2MHawk or the 2.6 CRDe?As someone told me that 4WD Scorpio has 2.6CRDe.

Also please tell me the extra price to be paid for a 4WD.TSiVipul2011-05-25 03:01:18

Its basically a Scorpio meant for its fans with light wallets.

Its powered by the same 75PS, 2.5 mDICR BS-IV engine which powers the Genio, which ultimately resulted in its lowered pricing.

Its NVH levels are also good, almost as needed in Scorpio.

@TSI Vipul;

Scorpio 4x4 now comes with 2.2 mHAWK engine only but with 2 transmission options i.e: MT & Automatic.

Its priced between 11.5-13 lacs.

Sorry for getting off the topic:

@TSI Vipul;

Scorpio 4x4 now comes with 2.2 mHAWK engine only but with 2 transmission options i.e: MT & Automatic.

Its priced between 11.5-13 lacs.

Thanks for the info Dr.I just want to know that is Scorpio 4WD available in sle variant too,or its only in vlx variant?

Is is recommendable?

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.has announced the launch of the Scorpio EX, a new, entry-level version of the Scorpio. The new Scorpio is powered by the new 2.5-liter m2DiCR engine with 75 bhp of peak power. Although the Scorpio EX isn

I just want to know that is Scorpio 4WD available in sle variant too' date='or its only in vlx variant?
Is is recommendable?[/quote']

Yes its worth the money spend. Scorpio 4WD-MT is the best option.

but it seems to be available in its Vlx variant only, as visible from its company website -http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/home.aspx

How the

Yes its worth the money spend. Scorpio 4WD-MT is the best option.

but it seems to be available in its Vlx variant only' date=' as visible from its company website?-http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/home.aspx

[/quote']

Now this seems to be a problem,because I was considering the Scorpio(If father fails Yeti) then I was thinking of buying a sle variant(because it also features ABS) and the 1 lac that I would have saved not buying vlx would be spent for black alloy(because car will be black),fatter rubber,a high end ICE system.

Today I need to visit the dealership.

I have read in the autocar magazine that 2.6 engine has a better(more flatter torque curve) torque delivery than the 2.2 mHAWK unit,then why the 4X4 variant is not using the 2.6 unit while Thar gets the same for the torque delivery only?

Please someone explain me in detail the advantage of flatter torque curve because I am unable to understand it completely?TSiVipul2011-05-27 08:46:09

Sandy its confirmed that the EX has a 75 bhp CRDe power plant. Thanks for the thread and the information. I was having my doubts as the huge 1800Kg body may feel underpowered. But thats true!

It is a marketing tact by the company to slot the stripped down version

above the Tavera/Bolero/Sumo in the taxi segment. They had launched a

stripped down version of the Xylo for the taxi segment. But we don't see

that setting the sales chart afire.In fact Xylos are depreciating

faster in the second hand car market vis a vis the Scorpio. So the next

step was Scorpio has brand equity and who sees the engine after all?

"Highway drive karne se ka ghode ki kami driver jheelaga" ."We have

given the taxi operator a Scorpio with a lower price tag and an

economical powerplant. It has both the front and rear AC vents intact.

And if one engages this taxi, all will say "woh to Scorpio mein ghumta

hain".This is what M&M may be chanting!

The rear AC could not face the M&M eco-butcher's knife as the taxi

driver will get all the cool air from the air-con, leaving the passenger

who's paying for his or her trip fuming.

As I had said, the Bolero VLX CRDe has a 97 bhp engine which could have done the job

much better. But we don't know what goes on in the boardroom of the

company? The cost factor (ex-showroom price and fuel consumption) may

have led to the decision to plonk the crude DI engine now made into a

CRDe. True "Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman" but the mannerisms of the crude

engine may remain as traces. It was however soothing to know through a road test  that noise

intrusion into the cabin is minimal.

It has no roof rail, no fabric upholstery, no power windows and so on. The power window buttons butchering and "gaib ho jana" gets time to get

used to.The hand brake lever travel appears to have been increased, to

have a "more efficient" hand brake than the LX,SLX, VLX, A/T.smiley1.gif

Now henceforth, the M&M Scorpio sales figures will also include this

"handicapped" EX and so we will not be able to say exactly how many of

the "better and fit" Scorpios are being sold.

And at the M&M authorised service stations, more than 70% of those

at the customer's waiting lounge are drivers and now the figure may

surpass that.

I would now suggest M&M to also introduce a higher version above the

A/T (with a 16 L plus price tag) with the best of goodies, so that the

lowest and the highest versions have at least an 8 L price differential

(the price of the EX). That may help them create a world record,

wherein the base version comes at half the price of the highest version.

Buy two EX's or one A/T GOODYFULL m-HYBRID smiley20.gif (if they agree with that nomenclature for the highest version).

@Anjan:

Even I am too thinking the same,once I got a chance to drive the Scorpio M2Di,from that day I am cursing Mahindra for producing such a car and now they have done the icing on the cake Mahindra Scorpio EX.

I don't know why Mahindra is trying its best to make a Taxi image of the Scorpio too.Just think,a 1.8ton monster being pulled by a puny 75ps engine and driver standing on the accelerator to push the carsmiley36.gifand the story will be even more interesting on the hills.

But then the tagline "Arey woh toh Scorpio mein ghumta hai"will also be applicable.Just once go and ask that Scorpio owner that"woh kis haalaat mein ghumta hai"??

Will this EX variant get that aggressive looking hood scoop too,or its like the M2Di with a plain hood?

How much difference is there in the interior quality?

Now Mahindra must launch a Scorpio for Aria's competition too,and name it like...2(Scorpio EX)...TSiVipul2011-05-30 02:50:49

Well, I think this one will be faster than atleast the M2Di which had the Archaic Bolero Di engine, Power pegged at almost 63bhp. 75bhp does better that in a way! Would have been great if ~90bhp's were offered.

Focus, quite understandably seems on improving Economy. Ofcourse Bhp had to come down. On the flipside, Scorpio can handle 75bhp's quite comfortably. One can't really take advantage of Mhawk engine due to Handling characteristics of Scorp.

Haha,Bornfree has hit the sweet spot...the handling of the Scorpio doesn't allow too much,but then its not that worse too..

I agree that Scorpio feels nervous while going above 120(say 100),but it quite comfortably does 150 on highways(my personal experience)but at these speeds its better to not try any sedan like cuts and stunts on the Scorpio..But then will this EX be able to to even 100 on highways?Because in the time it will catch 100 the driver will start sleeping and any truck will come in the way to force him to brake the car and then again stand on the acceleratorsmiley36.gif..

I would be very happy even if scorpio gets less than 50 horses. Reason being, most of it's drivers are driving it with out knowing it's limits. I had first hand experience on it. My friend once drove his scorpio at more than 160 with seven onboard. With no ABS, boat like handing, ice skating like tyres, not even fastening seat belts, I was like freezing in fear.

Coming the point, why should Scorpio be powered beyond its limits.

@Creativebala:

smiley36.gif The incident you have mentioned is really thrilling,even I am also feeling the thrill even on reading it.You have missed one point here(applicable to all UVs):

At the elevated speeds,you can brake them as hard as you wish,if the SUV/MUV is not equipped with ABS then it will skid the hell out of the road..and make a good overturning stunt...

So I personally recommend ABS as a mandatory feature for all SUVs/MUVs.

Seat belts are really no use at such speeds if you have no airbags...

@tsi

This is how most people or say ever politician would drive. Even on that day, he was racing a politician's safari. The roads were so good but still a jay walker or buffalo could have made us history.

Scorpio should be made to fuel cut off at 140. We can't go around and teach everyone about it's limits.

This time I totally agree with you,actually there is a problem with most of the people who really don't drive too much,the problem is:

These people think that no car is faster,safer and better handler than those bulky SUVs.

You won't believe but here too I have found a lot of drivers trying to race with my Laura in a Safari or Scorpio..and I simply either allow them to overtake(else they will cause accident) or if I am in mood then I simply shift down to third gear and blow them away(after that they don't dare to race)...smiley36.gif

Read some where that it's power to wait ratio is less than that of Nano,is it true ?

The price difference with the next version which is much better equipped isn't that much.May be this is the taxi version,they should have called it tx instead of ex