creativebala

Rounded Edge Tyres or Flat edge Tyres?

Which tyre is better and why?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which tyre is better and why?

• Rounded edge tyre
    • Flat edge tyre

I am on the look out for new shoes for my Swift. The primary choice are A Drive & CEC3. Both priced near to each other and good, CEC3 seems to be better, but its rounded edge makes me think.

So is going for rounded edge tyre is worth and it has some advantage or its best to buy flat edge tyres.

Most modern designs to be rounded edge. As you go round a corner the edge and a ltlle beyond may come into contact with the road. Rounded are better in this regard.

sgiitk2011-05-29 03:59:32

Hankook has a 160,000 k warranty.  Sumitomo has a 70,000 k warranty.  These two tires has less expensive, enjoy longer warranties and have a higher rating than either the Michelin or the Bridgestone.  Square edged tires are for tractors and trailers.  Rounded edges are for modern radial design tires and outperform other styles.

When replacing tires, don't change the height but get one size up on width.  It will improve the stability and lower the noise.

Ok.  Use nitrogen in your tires.  Check the struts often and replace them as soon as you can with  first quality aftermarket units.  Front end bearings and bushings are next so be prepared to swap out the rubber bushings with urethane (orange or blue) when the time comes.  The rear bearings and bushings follow quickly after so I usually change all at the same time. Lastly (for now), keep the front end aligned.

@sgsir

How about the side wall damage on round edge tyre?

On looking at it's rounded side wall, it appears to be easily damageable by stones

@brn2crz

Are those chinese tyres as good as the top brands

You teach us a lot. Are you a automobile engineer?

If there will be sidewall damage then it will happen irrespective. Sidewalls are not that fragile. Yes they are (by design) weaker than those in cross-plies, but I hear that India specific tyres are slightly stiffer as well.

Let me say that I have faced this only once. It was a low profle tyre on an MG Maestro and got damaged due to gravel in the driveway. This was in the UK!

Hankook is a Korean brand that is top quality worldwide.  Just google hankook international. 

A couple of more tips.  1. rotate those tires.  2.  if you are not going to drive the car then put it up on blocks to get the tires off the ground. 3. always use lug locks  4.  tighten the lugs with a torque wrench