creativebala

Stripped yet Upgradable car, when will we get one?

Many of us are in tighter budget while buying our desired car, so we run from pillar to post to arrange for the required finance, but some could not save enough still, so what happens is,buy a Lower segment Car or a Used car.

Instead of this, I wish, company should come out with huge stripped yet upgradable car, so that one could make it a full fledged car after year without buying a lower segment car/ a used one.

Think of this scenario,

Mr X plans to buy his first car. His desired car( as many of us ) is Swift but because of cash crunch, he buys a WagonR, so he regrets for his buy when ever he sees a Swift for couple of yrs.

Probable Solution:

A car like Swift with only PS & AC with opt ABS.( a sub LXI model )

What all I don't need or I can upgrade when I get money are,

Black Bumpers - can be painted later ( 6-7K saved )

Fixed ORVM - can be changed later( 2k saved )

Tyres - Space saver spare tyre( 2k saved)

Engine - 1L can easily lug the swift, but won't be a pocket rocket( 20k saved)

So, all in all, a stripped Swift at the cost of  Wagon R, with huge market amongst first time buyers.

Not a feasible option bala.

As it'll lead to intermingling of the identities of cars belonging to different segments & will ruin their own values.

A Swift or Polo is desirable only until it costs somewhat in the Premium zone, but will gets their image ruined if they're going to be available at Rs.3.5 lacs.

And not to mention, Re-sale value of that cars will simply head straight to downwards.

Mr X plans to buy his first car. His desired car( as many of us ) is Swift but because of cash crunch' date=' he buys a WagonR, so he regrets for his buy when ever he sees a Swift for couple of yrs.

Probable Solution:

A car like Swift with only PS & AC with opt ABS.( a sub LXI model )

What all I don't need or I can upgrade when I get money are,

Black Bumpers - can be painted later ( 6-7K saved )

Fixed ORVM - can be changed later( 2k saved )

Tyres - Space saver spare tyre( 2k saved)

Engine - 1L can easily lug the swift, but won't be a pocket rocket( 20k saved)

[/quote']

Just imagine a Swift running on a road with such bare-basic specifications alongside a fully loaded Swift ZXi.

ZXi owner will cry & hugely regret on his purchase decision.

I think it can be tried by Tata to bring in a real good low price car eg, Vista Safire 90 and features can be added along the way to make it 'complete'; point is 3 years down the line it would be too old to be feasible to add features and owner would loose interest and sell it for something better. Car companies would add a deadline like some 2 years from time of purchase/HP for all the features to be added. It would then require to get approval from the RTO and also be entered in the RC book and also need to update the insurance to keep things up to date.

Durango Dude2011-06-15 01:48:30

Wow,what a dream Bala!!

Actually the low end variants are offered in the market only due to this cost-cutting work.But just think if you get a Swift with 1.0 engine then think of the power it will offer,the power to weight ration will be more fantastic.The person who will buy this Swift leaving the Wagon-R will be even more frustrated when Wagon-Rs will perform better than his car.

@Durango Dude:

You are absolutely right,Tata can do anything for bringing a low cost car..just think a rear engined Indica?

@Rahul1810:

The City is no such solution,they have simply done what all the manufacturers do..offer a car for tightly budgeted people who wants to own the car,and yes I think these people love their cars most(why?Because for the car they have spent their every single,hard earned penny)..AM I RIGHT?

I think in India, base variant of any hatchback is already having basic features only. As far as less powerful engine is concerned, see the fate of Punto, the beating it gets in every review and forum for lacking power.

I do not think this is viable. One thing left unsaid, Use No.2 for the upgrades.

Plus point - avoidance of the road tax on accessories. Minus - not as good a fitment as from the factory. Often more costly that the factory, since the prices of the add-ons will be retail. Also, fitment may not be that good/neat. Also, bear in mind some things like alloys, fatter tyres are even costlier in the aftermarket, since the original stuff will have to be sold off/

One car I can closely associate with this logic is Spark PS and now with the 800cc,

this 800cc spark PS will be a cheap, stripped and yet upgradeable car which can be bought at alto's price and would get better build, better ride, better handling, better space, ....