creativebala

Toyota Etios Review

I was wondering, how Etios was running so successfully with crappy interiors, logan like looks, vanilla engine( no vtec), wafer thin body,..etc, but all my thoughts vanished into thin air recently, to be more specific, Yesterday, after taking a long trip in my close relative's Etios taken from showroom to his home some 100kms away. Now I will shout, Etios is the best petrol entry sedan to anyone wwho is confused on entry petrol sedan.

Positives

Awesome power on demand across band. It pulls from 100 in 5th gear easily.

Loads of Space.

Excellent Pricing.

Comfortable seats

Nice AC

Safety, I don't have to pay for bulls**ts while getting ABS& Airbags.

AfSS. Good buying experience.

Looks, it actually looks so good in flesh like an Aveo.

Ride, Suspension is so good, doesn't bottoms out easily.

Handling is surprisingly good. The steering is not too light.

Nice driver feel( nice steering wheel, gear box, pedal reach)

Negatives

Hard plastics

Cost cutting( 1 wiper, no door opening from co-passenger side )

Body could have been slightly heavier

Wind noise at ove4 100kmph

The Positives of this car easily kills its negatives.

creative, very few people think like you and me, i almost booked the etios for its value, only when additional finance was available i booked a c segmenter.

i personally find it to the most practical car , not even limiting its value to sedans.

a fantastic engine, awesome ride quality, the smoothest gear shift amongst cars under 10 lakhs, acres of space i.e terrific leg space n boot space, more terrrific power delivery across all gears,and all this backed by toyota. i find it a more practical car than the so called hot hatches like i20 , fabia.

for city driving, i think its a perfect car, much better than most c segmenters and hatches.

only that its too light, and poorly insulated, so it does not absorb the vibrations and sounds from bigger vehciles and trucks at high speeds on the highways. the one way ones especially, and being super light, i don't know how its shell would behave in a crash.

otherwise its a superb car, the most vfm car , i am going gaga, yes, and if would have to put 7 lakhs or less for a car it would be etios.

@Creativebala:

This is something I have been shouting from the very first day I had joined the forum,but none believed me.The day I took the test drive I found the car worth buying and fully VFM.

You are really going to enjoy the Toyota A$$,because my experience of owning a Toyota says the same.

Its simply perfect for the price and is far ahead the competition.Forget the interior quality thing ang remember the driving thing.With five passengers on board the car can cope up with a SX4,Linea Petrol and has a top whack higher than even Fiesta 1.6(P)!!

I request the Etios bashers to take a test drive and then give the result being true to their heart and mind.

Congrats alot bala for having a First hand experience of a Toyota car.

IMHO, Overall Etios is good car but its basic flaws(light build quality & Average Interiors) are like 'Fly in the Ointment' towards its Premium ownership experience, especially considering the fact that people are even willing to pay for that.

but its basic flaws(light build quality & Average Interiors) are like 'Fly in the Ointment' towards its Premium ownership experience.

Even though light weight, I think, the body panels & overall build quality is superb. Actually in the temple, my uncle dashed car in a short concrete bench, the car got stopped because of the tyre hitting it and because of his heavy weight, the steering wheel is now slightly ovalish and bumper was pulled back to normal position. The highlight in this incident is "No bent in body panel, no breakages, NOT even the plastic bottons around the wheel arches gave up"

He was driving an Omni all this whille and this super power 'n featherlite steering took the car away from him.

@interiors,

Its not that bad in this G(SP) variant. Its dual tone with chrome symbol on steering, so over all feel is ok. Its only the basic black variant which looks horrible.
creativebala2011-06-17 05:00:58

A couple of days back , I drove a Hyundai i10 1.2 . It was far quieter than the Toyota Etios was. Though the Toyota has more power,space,good ride quality, it lacks the refinement,quietness,low nvh found in its competitors and even in lower segment vehicles.

A couple of days back ' date=' I drove a Hyundai i10 1.2 . It was far quieter than the Toyota Etios was. Though the Toyota has more power,space,good ride quality, it lacks the refinement,quietness,low nvh found in its competitors and even in lower segment vehicles. [/quote']

It's surprising to see player's like Hyundai, moving up the ladder in India, whereas Toyota is moving downwards towards, Hyundai/Maruti territory. Hyundai is seeing it's VFM tag slowly eroding as it gives cars loaded with features and pricing it close to the segment above, viz i20 and Verna Fluidic. I think Toyota would do well if it brought in the Vios, to fill the void between the Etios and Corolla.

Actually in the temple' date=' my uncle dashed car in a short concrete bench, the car got stopped because of the tyre hitting it and because of his heavy weight, the steering wheel is now slightly ovalish and bumper was pulled back to normal position. [/quote']

Didn't got this dude ! !

How steering wheel can become Oval ? ?

Please explain it clearly.

Is the Vios a clone of the Yaris? I think they are related.

If Hyundai moves a bit upmarket and it will , with the likes of 2010 Sonata,2011 Elantra and 2012 Accent,will set the perfect stage for the entry of Kia.

The 2011 Elantra will go down in history as the best design Hyundai has ever produced.

@nishant

He is 100kg and he dashed steering wheel, since he hasn't worn the seatbelt, the airbags didn't open.

@Vios story,

Its not so feasible since it can't match City/Vento/Verna in looks dept, instead they can come out with Etios based premium sedan, i.e, a Etios with Yaris bumper and slightly modified rear, premium interiors, nice noise insulation & a VTEC engine and price it just 1L more than Etios and kill Verna, Sunny, Vento & SX4.

I am happy that they didn't introduce the Yaris as it is. It looks like a clown. The new Yaris which is refreshed and is to be introduced for 2012 looks way way better.

The Etios though bland ,looks decent.

what would u do if the etios had an ivtec and premium interiors and insulation alongwith a stronger shell....i'd say it kill the city and its elder c segmenters,

what say bala, isnt the etios a more practical sedan choice over the city /verna/vento

what would u do if the etios had an ivtec and premium interiors and insulation alongwith a stronger shell....i'd say it kill the city and its elder c segmenters' date='[/quote']

Etios has been given a cheaper brand Image, so no point in giving it a VTEC/ premium interiors/... etc. The Etios platform can be used with Yaris Bumpers and slight touch up here and there, and most important point is, a new name and as said before, just price it a lakh more.

what say bala' date=' isnt the etios a more practical sedan choice over the city /verna/vento
[/quote']

Etios fails miserably in Looks dept when compared with the above Trio. With 60K price reduction, I would pick the City over the other 3 if I had enough budget.

@Mclaren:

Why only i-vtec,why don't you get a TSI for the Etios?then it will kill superb too,and get killed herself too...just think of a chassis which cannot take the power and torque...

The Etios is not meant for anything like an i-vtec,its a car for a family man,it is designed ny keeping in view the needs of a man with his wife and two children.The man who has collected his every penny to get a good sedan for himself,which is a combination of all..power,performance,space,comfort,reliability,economy etc etc..AND THIS IS WHERE THE ETIOS EXCELS.

Etios 'n Vios are so similar in dimension' date=' so as i said, a Vios-tised Etios will be another super hit in our country

Etios, Vios & a Vios-tised Etios

[/quote'] good job done by creatvebala, it reveals the secret. The Etios and Vios (Yaris in some markets) is made on a same body shell (the dimensions such as wheel base and width is exactly same), Toyota done a price cutting job in Vios such as interior design and some exterior makeup to differentiate the model and to save the image of the Vios from a budget saloon as Etios known as in India. 

just compare the dimensions in this page

Note from ACI-Support: While quoting, use only a part & not the entire post.
BornFree2011-06-22 15:44:21

@Mclaren:

Why only i-vtec' date='why don't you get a TSI for the Etios?then it will kill superb too,and get killed herself too...just think of a chassis which cannot take the power and torque...

.[/quote']

I never asked for a tsi, if the liva can get a VVT engine, then the family sedan is definitely a better candidate for the same. Since most complaints revolve around the Etios being a noisy car, a silent refined VVT engine would have solved this issue at least.

@ss800, of another closed thread

your safety requirement is high, so it has to be etios v as Dzire VXI doesn't have airbags.

Dzire is a old platform and is going to get off market soon. I would never recommend a Dzre over Etios, reasons being

more power

more space

more FE

Better ride and handling

roominess

reliability

Toyota brand

swift might feel spacious at the front, that's because of super front seats.