Itsme

Friend looking for a new hatch

After using his 6 year old Palio ELX 1.9 D and almost happy with it (but for fuel efficiency and service issues), he is looking for a replacement.

He wants:

Comfortable, well built, fuel efficient diesel hatch.

He has shortlisted :

Figo Diesel , Punto Diesel, Swift Diesel. (All base models). Cant wait for new models, wants it in a month or so.

Does not want :

Tata Indica Vista diesel, Ritz diesel, Indigo CS, Logan.

Out of budget:

Micra D, i20 diesel,Polo diesel.

Worried about :

Service costs and long term reliability.

What do u guys advise ?

I will advise Figo Diesel and Swift Diesel, ruling out Punto Diesel. I'd suggest him to wait for the new Swift and compare its diesel base with Figo diesel base. If the Swift Diesel will be here by July end then you can consider the new one. Otherwise, the current Swift diesel and the Figo Diesel both are equal competitors. driftpunk2011-06-21 09:08:39

Tell him to wait for Beat diesel. Its going to launch in few weeks. He can actually get a diesel hatch for 5 laks with power windows, power steering, central locking, auto ac, integrated music system.   

My take;

Though base Punto Diesel(Punto 1.3 Active) is 60-65k expensive over base Figo Diesel, but is a lot for the money given, as eve in base trim it features Rear AC ducts, Tilt Steering, Front Power windows, Wheel caps, etc not to forget its Class leading Fiat 1.3 Multijet diesel engine.

Ask your friend to go for Punto Active.

Considering all things, Figo seems to be the safest hatch followed by Ritz. As Ritz has already been denied, my votes go in favour of Figo.

Punto has service and niggling issues. Swift has waiting period and new model is going to replace it soon, so resale of old model will be low.  This left Figo as only option. All the best.

He is not happy with figo diesel only for the low ground clearance and susceptibility to under body damage when fully loaded, as he visits rural roads often. Ritz - he is not happy with the looks. Having owned a fiat - he is all praise for punto, service costs being the only apprehension. He liked the swift drive but the ride put a blemish on a good report card. He is all confused like all of us when we go for a new vehicle purchase. He wants reviews from existing punto, swift and figo owners, HELP please.

He is not happy with figo diesel only for the low ground clearance and susceptibility to under body damage when fully loaded' date=' as he visits rural roads often. Ritz - he is not happy with the looks. Having owned a fiat - he is all praise for punto, service costs being the only apprehension. He liked the swift drive but the ride put a blemish on a good report card. He is all confused like all of us when we go for a new vehicle purchase. He wants reviews from existing punto, swift and figo owners, HELP please.[/quote']

Hatchback buyers are getting more and more choosy; they have been spoilt by choice like never before and they go one up on the car makers and become even more choosier. I think he is Fiat fan at heart so he can't tolerate the 1.3MJD make the "rightest" noises in the Swift and his heart wants the Punto; but remember the 1.3 MJD became the national diesel engine, only because of Maruti, though Fiat may be the manufacturer. Unless, he has a large family he will do well going in for the Swift, in its present or future avatar; he'll have to fall in queue all the same.

I think on all accounts the Figo Titanium is the best diesel hatchback in the segment . I would suggest your friend to wait for the Beat diesel to be launched in the 1st week of July and compare it to the Figo then decide for the ideal choice.

I think that he should wait for the beat MJD which looks very promising! Otherwise the Ford Figo would be his best bet!only glitch is that the fuel economy is at best poor!

@Itsme:

your friend has the answer in the question itself,its the Swift diesel whic is the car to buy,but ask him to get at leat VDi,as LDi is a bit too much stripped of features.

Your friend is falling for Punto :)

IMO, he should go for Punto as this is what his heart says, this is enough reason to buy. And more over Punto satisfies atleast two of three criteria your friend is looking for, one is "comfortable" and others is "well built".

For third criteria "fuel efficient" I am not sure as I do not own one but being a diesel it should be fuel efficient.

Again test drove Punto, dealer had 90 hp for test drive, said would arrange for 75 hp one later. The ride is brilliant, i wasnt happy with engine noise when accelerating and the jerk when accelerator is pressed and left. Fellow owners can comment because the test drive vehicle was ill maintained with around 13k on odo. Doors felt solid, gearshift was average. His heart is all for punto, mind says beat, figo or swift. He is going to drive figo again, swift (old or new)- waiting will wipe it again from contention.

When is the Beat diesel coming?

Yes , he finally bit the bullet and went with his heart. White Punto active diesel is his new proud posession. I feel the deal he got from the dealer made it worth it.

To sell his previous car was a problem too, hence he exchanged it with the new one at the dealership and also got loyalty discount - 20k, cash discount 10k, free insurance and 3 month diesel scheme 6.5k, almost 50k discount for a diesel (not so bad diesel actually) and all in all i think its a good deal. I wish him luck. What you guys think?

@Itsme:

Congo to your friend,the Punto is a true driver's car and the ride and handling is simply outstanding.

Do post a pic or two of the car if possible and owner is ready to give them.

Post deleted: SMS Lingo/Slang not allowed on the Board. You are advised to go through the Board Rules & Regulations before proceeding further.

BornFree2011-08-13 12:07:29