AMG1

Etios Liva - Autocar India Review

What is the Toyota secret behind developing and launging a new model in India instead of bringing a similar (in the size and price) exising model?

I mean about the Etios is similar to Yaris sedan and Liva is similar to Yaris HB. (available in international markets). Why Toyota not interested to bring Yaris in India?

Why Toyota not interested to bring Yaris in India?

1.Yaris will fail miserably in looks dept when compared with a City or a Verna.

2. Luxury segment sells far lesser than the Entry Sedan.

3. No worthy competitor in entry sedan segment, so zeroed on Etios.

Once I was there in Toyota service center(Uttam-Ghaziabad),there I found a person booking an Etios with three more friends of him.

Since we were having talks with each other so I asked them why Etios?

The answer they gave was simple as it sounds "Bhaisaahab hamari comapny mein 2 Etios aa gayi hain,Gaadi toh bilkul kamaal hai aur hum log aaj hi Swift(dZire) ki booking cancel karwa ke aaye hain.7 month lagte hain toh koi baat nahi,gaadi toh badhiya hai aur acchi gaadi ka mazaa toh intzaar ke baad aur bhi zyada aayega...and at last,they said TOYOTA hain toh acchi hi hogi,check kyun karna?(There are two Etios in our company and we have found the car quite good,in fact we have cancelled our dZire bookings too and are happy to wait for 7 months for this car,after all wait will have sweet fruit...IF ITS A TOYOTA THEN ITS SURE THAT THE CAR IS GOOD).

On hearing the words I was standing stunned and was thinking of what will happen if the Etios D-4D comes,whome it will eat?I am sure its going to hunt down even the Swift too,to an extent.

Now comes the Liva,I am sure that the car will be bought by many people even without TDing it,and being a Toyota owner,I too trust them with closed eyes.Today whole India praises the Toyota cars,then who won't want to decorate his/her porch with the magical 'T' symbol?The following is what ACI says about Etios and for a 4-6lac price tag,I find the car a steal.

Price Range (in lakhs)*

Ex-showroom Price     Rs 4-5 lakh (estimated)

ENGINE

Fuel     Petrol

Installation     Front, transverse, front-wheel drive

Type     4 cyls in-line, 1197cc

Bore/stroke     72.5mm /72.5mm

Power     79bhp at 5600rpm

Torque     10.6kgm at 3100rpm

Power to weight     85.8 bhp per tonne

Transmission

Type     Manual

Gearbox     5-speed

Chassis Body

Length     3775mm

Width     1695mm

Height     1510mm

Wheel Base     2460mm

Boot Volume     251-litres

Ground Clearance     170mm

Weight     890-920kg

Wheels     14inch (J and G) and 15inch (V and VX)

Tyres     175/65-R14 and 185/60-R15

Spare     Full size

Suspension

Front     MacPherson struts

Rear     Torsion beam

Steering

Type Power     Electric

Brakes

Front     Ventilated discs

Rear     drums

Acceleration

0-20     1.05sec

0-40     3.08sec

0-60     5.51sec

0-80     9.98sec

0-100     14.08

Acceleration in Gear

20-80kph in 3rd gear     15.81sec

40-100kph in 4th gear     22.69sec

Economy

Overall     18.3kpl (ARAI figure)

Tank size     45-litres..

0-100 in 14.08 secs may be somewhat slower than competition,but still its not sluggish.

FE of 18.3 overall,simply is 20+ on highways and 15+ in city driving+TOYOTA's name+reliability on offer..this is going to be a hit.ANY DOUBT?TSiVipul2011-06-23 02:17:01

technical stuff:

• Engine: 1197cc naturally aspirated, inline four engine

• Power: 80PS @ 5600 rpm

• Torque: 10.6 kgm @ 3100 rpm

• Transmission: 5-speed manual

• Best in class ARAI certified fuel efficiency of 18.63kmpl

• Engine tuned for city driving, and better efficiency than outright performance

• Twin front airbags and ABS available in the top variants

• Variants : J, G, V , VX

Almost 150 kgs lighter than Swift and 200 kgs lighter than Punto 1.2. It will be interesting to know, which parts of Liva have been on slimming spree. IMO, it can not be boby sheet metal alone.

The Etios sedan which measures around 4290 mm  weighs in at 915 kgs,while the Etios hatchback weighs in at 920 kgs., which is 3775 mm in length, wow, what a paradox, I wonder what is Toyota up to , heck even the so called tin pots like swift weigh in over 1000 kgs, can anyone explain how Toyota manages to keep both the sedan and the hatch at the same kerb weight?

To me, The body structure of the Etios looked all right, maybe Toyota is hiding the flyweight metal behind its stunningly beautiful paint.

Perhaps the chassis is the culprit.

I again got a chance to go to the launch event. The car has good presence when seen in front of you.

Definitely looks better than the sedan. The rear especially looks good. The legroom for a car of this size is unbelievably good. Puts my Polo to shame and that too by a margin. The plastic quality of the centre console is strictly average.

The J version at 3.99 lacs looks very attractive but is stripped of everything. The top VX at 5.99 is fully loaded but I doubt it will have many takers.

V and G(SP) look like the varients to go after.

I guess Toyota has read indian market quite well. Toyota knows what its targeted customers want: Good space, good FE, basic features and that's what Liva is all about!

In all probability Liva will set sales chart on fire. That's the power of 'T' badge.

@BF I was at the press conf. and when asked about the diesel the answer given was that according to Toyota a diesel engine is not required for running of less than 2000 kms a month. They said they definitely have the technology but they will study the market and then decide whether a diesel engine is required or not. No proper estimate or a concise answer was given about the launch of the diesel.

Liva is no way cheap for a Petrol hatchback.

Infact its top-end variant at 5.99 lacs have smoothened the way for Honda to justify the premium for their soon to be launched Brio hatchback.

Hats off to Maruti Suzuki, who's serving the country with Brilliantly engineered, Comfortable & Reliable cars at 'True' VFM prices.