AMG1

Etios Liva - Autocar India Review

@BF I was at the press conf. and when asked about the diesel the answer given was that according to Toyota a diesel engine is not required for running of less than 2000 kms a month. 

smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif this is what happens when you let PR guys handle the press conference

Actually this particular answer was given by a high ranking Toyota official. I dont remember the name. I found the answer rather odd too. I expected them to show atleast show a positive/promising sign about bringing in the diesel engine. All they did was reassure that they have the technology if they decide to bring it in.

Their basic aim was to divert the question. I dont think they wanted to reveal any details about the plans to bring in the diesel engine, if they are bringing it at all.asethi9192011-06-27 17:48:31

@Sethi, they have the engine with them, the lethargic but efficient 1.4D4d. One that does duty in the Corolla Altis. Super for this segment. Guess it will first come to the sedan & then to the Hatch.

I can see this happening by the end of this or early next year.

I think delayed launch of diesel is just their marketing strategy to drive petrols off the showroom first for some time.. (targetting mainly the buyers who prefer newest model, to make them choose petrol since diesel is not yet available)

and it looks like hatchback price is closely placed with its sedan couterpart?! Its high variant almost reaches price of Etios base variant?

I second Dr. Nishu. It is not cheap by price, but by appeal. At this price, it is more or less near to I-20 and Polo, which are far better, sturdy, good looking cars than Liva. The Toyota badge works in the beginning, but we have to see how long it can carry the momentum. Once new swift and Brio land in to market, all this cheap interior, thin metal, NVH issues will be pop-up and the real test for toyota will start. Still we don't have any long term ownership review to test the rattling and life of different parts. Till then Toyota will enjoy like anything..

Actually this particular answer was given by a high ranking Toyota official. I dont remember the name. I found the answer rather odd too. I expected them to show atleast show a positive/promising sign about bringing in the diesel engine. All they did was reassure that they have the technology if they decide to bring it in.

Their basic aim was to divert the question. I dont think they wanted to reveal any details about the plans to bring in the diesel engine' date=' if they are bringing it at all.[/quote']

I don't think so They are not diverting the question but they have said right thing ,I don't understand when petrol engine is more refined and available at lesser rate why people want diesel engine ,If runing cost is criteria he has explained Diesel will not be economical if running less than 2000 km /month.

The point is , "Break even" is a RELATIVE term. For me, even with 850 km per month, break even would take 4 or 5 years so petrol is economical.

But running 2000 kmpm will result in break even in 2 years after which diesel saving starts..

so diesel is economical if around 2000 kmpm..

Liva seems to be somewhat overpriced for what is on offer,Toyota must have priced the car at the price of Swift or somewhat premium to it,even then it would have given big nightmares to Swift.Although there are a lot of people who are interested in owning a Toyota car and this interest of people is going to drive the Liva too out of showrooms.Now its time to wait and watch the high going waiting periods which is surely going to happen.

I think   The magical 'T' badge will surely work and eat up some competition.

Displayed at the Delhi Auto Expo in 2010 as a concept car and under testing ever since, the Toyota Liva was launched 3 days ago in Delhi with a base price of 3.99 lakhs (ex Delhi). Here is the surprise, in just 2 days, the Toyota Liva has registered 1,005 bookings from all across the country!

The Liva doesn

Today visited Toyota service center for some small repairs in my Innova and there I visited the dealership too to have a look at the red colored car 'LIVA' which has been kept on the display and in front of me I have found two people getting one booked for them each(most of the people are booking 'G' variant)and again as I have already mentioned People say/think that if it is a Toyota then it is good and reliable and hence booking the car insanely without even asking for a test drive of the car.Only they look at the interior and exterior and book the car for them and with the interior space as a trump card,the LIVA acn give even the Swift petrol nightmares.

Yesterday i visited a Toyota dealer who is very near to my home. I am always a great fan of Toyota vehicles and i really love them Camry, Corolla, Qualis, Innova and Fortuner, but I am really disappointed after driving Etios sedan and Liva(yesterday). The problem I have seen for the first time is that the built quality is very bad in both the cars. Toyota had compromised for the first time i hope in India to handle the competition. The driving pleasure is also not too great when i compare other vehicles of Toyota. For both these cars i felt a less weight issue when I drive them on the 6 lane road with 120 KMPH as i was feeling that the car is not sticking to the road I mean road grip and was scared to continue on that speed. Secondly the looks are average and specially LIVA, I had expectations, but disappointed with back shape. Finally I also felt the pricing bit high when we compare with other brands in same segment and what they are offering.

---------- Improved but old habits die hard! mods

sgiitk2011-07-18 08:49:53

May be old Indica is better than Liva &Etios in terms of Interior.Toyota has proved that they are not in to charity service and they need volume and profit from each car going out of their factory.But i do not think any Immediate threat for Maruti/Hyudai from Toyota near future.Now let us wait for Diesel versions of Liva/Etios.

Etios Liva

What you'll like:

? Spacious interiors can easily carry 5 adults
? Super light controls. Effortless to drive within the city
? Safe handling and flat ride
? Safety package (Airbags, ABS & EBD) optional on middle variant too
? Toyota

Toyota liva Sucks with its crapped interiors and just take the look at the Speedometer console it has a same sticker in it as plastic toys and seats thickness have been reduced to the maximum extent so the leg room seems to be up, though outer look of the car is good, and engine lacks compared to 1.2 kappa ... this is mt personal opinion ..didnt mean to hurt anybody...

LIVA HATCH BACK (PETROL) PRICE LIST in PUNE

PUNE

PCMC

EE (J)

ED (G)

EC (G SP)

EB (V)

EA (VX)

EE (J)

ED (G)

EC (G SP)

EB (V)

EA (VX)

Ex Showroom Price

Octroi (Incl.of VAT)

RTO

(Individual)

RTO (for

Company)

Insurance *

Insurance *

(Outside Octroi  PMC Reg.)

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

Other

misc.charges (Incl.of VAT)

On Road Prices

(Rounded off)

Individual

Company

After initial pull of the Toyota badge and the underwhelming experience the initial enthusiasm will slowly fade. The sticker price is shocking to say the least there are umpteen better choices in that price band. Liva isn't cheap to buy only it's perception is cheap. This was the reason Logan failed, though it had cheap looks neither it's price nor the upkeep was cheap.

There is no question as far as reliability of Toyota/Suzuki is concerned but keeping in view the quality they offer, these cars are overpriced.Like etios the liva too has very cheap interiors and build quality.We expect it to be better in terms of quality. Both the cars from toyota are built to cost and prices are similar the premium hatch segment.

My reason for why Etios family got crappy interiors,

1. As spacious as Corolla

2. As fast as Corolla P

3. Faster than Corolla D,

so Toyota needs to make sure, premium buyers stay with Corolla and should keep a void to bring in costlier sedan later.

My reason for why Etios family got crappy interiors' date=' Toyota needs to make sure, premium buyers stay with Corolla and should keep a void to bring in costlier sedan later.[/quote']

IMO Corolla/Premium customers would never fall for Etios. These cars are segments apart. Etios is aimed at a more Economy conscious consumer.

Just today looked at the corolla altis D-4D G of vipul which has already arrived the dealership here,i don't think that the Etios is anywhere as good as corolla,it can be fast but only fast is not better.