AMG1

Etios Liva - Autocar India Review

Corolla and Etios, there is a huge difference in these two cars. I drove both of them and also Liva too. Etios and Liva are in same segment and Corolla is just in Premium sedan segment.

Yes prices of Etios and Liva or very high when we look at them that what they offer. Only Toyota badge cannot be priced as few lakhs of rupees.

With the present day competition in India might have forced Toyota to bring in such products, but I felt very much disappointed with Etios and Liva personally.

this topic is getting converted to a fight rather than a good discussion, I wish all the participants maintain this apart from their personal wishes and likes.

Guys, what I mean to say is as follows,

What Corolla has?

T-Badge, powerful, premium feel, spacious, good FE + BIG CAR FEEL

What Etios has?

T-badge, powerful, FE, spacious, so if you add Premium feel, it would lack only big car feel at the cost of say 6-8L, so some people can come to Etios.

I am sure most of Corolla buyers are chauffers, so they might go for a Premium/refined Etios which as spacious as Corolla and save a healthy 6-8L.

PS- A good example for this is Honda Civic/City. City badly eats into Civic's sales.
creativebala2011-08-05 12:00:50

@Creativebala:

+1 to you.

@Friends:

It is the flimsy built of the Etios that is disappointing us people.Greater fact is that half of the Etios bashers have not even once seated in the car.AM I RIGHT?

The magical-'T' badge is making the wonders and what is good that I am still to see a real customer of an Etios who is complaining about the car(I mean non-enthusiastic general customer).The car has everything to delight the family men who just need an A-B transport for them and this is where Toyota excels,delivering what the segment really demands.

I have read certain posts saying that "People buy Toyotas senselessly or the 'T' badge makes the difference."Firstly I too did used to believe all these facts but my Innova ownership itself proved that my underpowered(as compared to Scorp or Safari) and pricey too Van is still far-far better than any of them.Even if I go and get my car sold out even then I can bet that my Innova which has done a good mileage can fetch nearly double the above mentioned SUVs can do in the used car market.

All what I mean to say is that its not only 'T' badge which makes the difference,its the cars which made people think that 'T' badged cars are great to own and peace of mind is a bonus point.

You can see that an Etios is fighting between the true-blue diesel cars which performs and gives good FE too,still the Etios with a petrol powerplant is not only competing them,but also beating some of them.We people look at the cons of the car and taking it to a new level,but the truth is somewhat different,the owners are happy and new buyers hear ownership experiences not the views of non-owners.

IF THE 'T' BADGE IS THE ONLY SELLING FACTOR THEN WHY CAMRY DOESN'T SELLS,SEE A TOYOTA OUTSOLD BY A SKODA!!TSiVipul2011-08-06 12:50:07

@Vipul - I totally agree to the point you made, besides that I don't understand the positioning of the Etios, because of its pricing. I mean looking at the variant-wise specification sheet, I would personally not settle for anything less than the "V" variant which would cost me about 6.25 lacs on road, Pune. Now I wonder, should I still be running after the so called magical "T" badge or simply move on.

I just hope that the Honda Brio doesn't comes up with a similar price tag.

Vipul you have very rightly said ,I have test drive both LIVA & ETIOS and if we see from general peoples angle the car have everything what is needed ,Th eonly thing is price is high in comparision to other hatchbacks available in market .

And Durango swift will be priced between 5 and 7 lakhs so it will also not cheaper and maruti also not make economical cars itonly has low value models like alto and Maruti 800 which are within the reach of maximum people ,otherwise its premium hatchbacks are also higly priced.

@Durango:

You are right at your point,but partially.people will buy the Swift,but it cannot blow away the Liva.The reason is not that Swift is better or Liva is worse,the reason is that there are many people who think that MS is a downmarket company and Toyota is an upmarket one.

I have already seen people booking and buying a Toyota even without inquiring once,this is still not with the MS.Let me explain this with an example:

Just see,every car MS presents firstly takes some time to take-off,why?Because it needs a market approval(ignore Swift here)and after some happy ownership stories,the car takes off.

Now if you see Toyota statistics,then you will find that they just come and take-off,why it is so?It is so because Toyota has a brand image in the eyes of people that if its a Toyota then its a good car.

As I have already mentioned,don't look at the Etios and Liva with the eyes of a petrolhead,just look at them with the eyes of a buyer-a family man who has decided to get a set of wheels do decorate his porch from every penny he has saved from his salary.then you will find that Toyota is offering everything that even MS misses..

@TSIVipul

Liva hasn't exactly taken off, else you would have been hearing booking stories, like you did at the time of Etios, or right now with Swift.

Toyota badge wont be a huge help here. Initially it may work, but Swift badge is even huger, and that can be seen by the no. of bookings. I estimate booking to reach 1 lakh by the launch time. Also, seeing that not many features were added means, Swift, would definitely be undercutting the i20s and the Polo's. Also you are forgetting that there is a Ritz also in MS armor, which was till now dormant, because of its dominating brother, now it gets a breathing space, now it has breathing space, now we will see the real potential that it has. Expect some improved versions, with more features in the Ritz, wont be surprised with a ZXI+ having ACC being launched, Ritz will become the affordable Swift.

Also, Toyota is offering nothing the Maruti misses. Affordability, quality, engine, features, looks everything is better in the MS brothers. And then the biggest weapon, the national engine. Perception in many peoples mind is that Toyota have just put together anything so that they could price the car like this. What Liva will suffer is, that it will now not only compete with Swift, but also face a rising Ritz.

I expect tough time for everyone including MS, and MS doing everything to defend its position. Biggest loser in my opinion, shall be i20, Polo and probably i10. What will help i10 is that it has a 1.1 engine, therefore lower cost, would help them show better nos. but the fact is that, even at that price point, there is a tall boy named Wagon R. So, not adding some novelty features, like Bluetooth etc. in Swift may be its masterstroke. It allows Suzuki more flexibility, more space, to attack across three segments of hatchbacks, without missing on any features that may turn out to be a deal breaker.

What as a consumer, we have are exciting times, at the time when prices are being increased, there will be cut throat competition, great discounts and a great time and confusion for the buyer.

Etios booking story was different, as there was no competitor. Swift is almost at it's end of life, with full of rattles and cramped.

But Liva, even though good, people are waiting for Brio, new Swifts, Liva D pricing. Liva got a mix of everything, which Indians die for, namely FE, better AfSS, space,reliability, ride and handling. So, no doubt, it will be a big hit, but not today.

@Rahul1810:

Let's wait and watch,right now Etios and Liva are two incomplete cars with no diesel powerplants.This time I'll keep quite but let the market speak itself.

WAIT FOR THE D-4D AND I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT THIS THING GIVE NIGHTMARES TO EVEN THE KING,although it cannot outsell it,but will eat some of his kingdom.