sarabjeet

Volkswagen building small car for India on Up!

8Ixke.png 

Manager Magazine has reported that an affordable car for China, India and Brazil next year will be based on the Up! series and cost 6,000 Euros (3.83 lakh rupees). As the debut of the Lupo (hatchback of the Up! series) nears, speculation is rife about it arriving here in 2012 with a 800cc petrol engine and 1.2-liter diesel engine. IAB readers will know that VW has dropped plans to sell rebadged Marutis in India and the new small car will have the

@Durango:

You have snatched my words,but made me safe by mentioning it before I'd have done it.But still this car with a VW badge can rock the market and have some really painfully long waiting periods.

This may become a big hit,but to achieve VW's goal of becoming world's biggest auto company by 2018 they may have another plan,I won't be surprised if one day suzuki's majority shares are bought by VW. VW is capable of that and they already have 20% share in it.I don't believe VW bought that shares to study how to make small cars or rebadging  suzuki's as VW.There will never be a suzuki badged as VW.

@DD: Now a days most of the cars are designed by a few gentlemen/come from the same studio and more or less they look similar to each other. But still i feel that VW/Skoda/BMW/Audi/Merc are few brands which can be noticed without a badge or logo due to their unique design language.

VW has broken its mum and officially confirmed that the UP will premiere in 12 days.  The reason why we are interested is because the UP is the small car expected to sit under the Polo. The VW UP will be the cheapest offering from the German czar till date. There are rumors, which some say are more than just rumors, that the UP will be priced in the 3.5-4 lakh price bracket.

BornFree2011-08-09 07:08:14

@DD:I always feel that Hyudai is copying design if  Honda and other cars.Here Head light and color is similar to i10.Nothing else.VW should place this car in i10,Wagon-R segment for pulling minimum 5000-10000 cars/Month.

I think the 3 pot motor which will be soon coming out of the Polo may find its place in the UP.Same like Honda Jazz and Brio.
Presently there is no plan from VW india for introducing  4 cylinder 1.2 petrol though there were speculations of 1.5 TDI .Here i would like to mention that 3 cylinder 1.2  petrol is launched all over the world. Its not India specific.  What i feel is UP will be powered by 1 ltr. 3 cylinder engine and will be placed in i10/wagonR/beat category.

@Crazy doc:

With Polo/Fabia 1.6 hardly selling a few hundred volumes per month,VW will now surely keep away from the performance delivering cars,instead they will focus more on the low-cost,high-FE and low-maintainance turtles.

So in my views,a TSI for a 3-4 lacs car in India is nothing more than a waste.

This car is really cute & good looking as per VW's de rigeur designs.

& Thank god it features different front interface than POLO-New PHAETON.

C'mon ! Come fast VW, India is eagerly anticipating the affordable German comfort & Luxury. 

More information on UP with dashboard pics.

Volkswagen has chosen to not wait until the Frankfurt Motorshow to unveil the VW UP. So here we have the first official images of the VW Up which is going to be VW

VW-Up-300x200.jpg

The production version of the car, as shown in the pictures, stays true to the concept. A tall boy design encapsulating good space within compact dimensions, the Up! looks like an ingeniously designed small car which will deliver in terms of space and comfort even with its small size. Although not too snazzy, the Up! looks handsome and is very well proportioned with clearly defined lines. Thankfully the face of the car isn

KZn3Ol.jpg

VW did not wait till Frankfurt where this car was supposed to be first unveiled. Instead, they released all the information pertaining to Up in a massive global press release. Internationally, the VW Up replaces the aging Fox hatchback and in India the Up will be the cheapest offering from VW till date.

Autoweek has some sypshots of the three door version caught testing in Wolfsburg. As of right now, the VW Up will be tested on the European roads because this car will make its debut in Europe first where it will compete against Toyota Aygo and Fiat Panda. The India debut, although confirmed, is not anytime soon.

The VW will use 1.0-liter three-cylinder gasoline engine generating 60 or 75 hp. However, if the need arises, a diesel or a natural gas powered one can also be introduced.

In India, the VW Up will compete against established brands such as i10, A-Star and the likes.

It will be interesting to see Maruti Suzuki