sham

Punto brake pads needed urgenty

Hi all,

My 1.3 mjt brake pads have done 15193km exactly.. And I noticed a screeching noise the moment I applied brakes and this issue started wwhen I had done 14k kms.. Ive been shuffiling between the showrooms for a new brake pads but the guys here tell me that the pune workshop has caught fire and no parts are available..

now I went to the showroom again and rechecked the pads.. And it about 4mm thick now.. The guys say I can do about 500 km more and the manager says I can do 1000.. I dont know what to believe , But im doubtful about the efficiency.. Is there anything that can be done apart from waiting.any care I can take wile driving...

my patience with fiat is running out badly... I love the car per se, but these issues keep occuring... Fed up

I live in bangalore...any place I can go to get genuine pads ?.

please advice

15193 kms is a little premature for change of brake pads, for normal use. I think it will do well to get the pads cleaned as advised by service personnel. Brake pads as such will cost a pile, so go with what the service personnel are telling you, it's in your good interest. Have you experienced any brake fade or do you drive hard?

The personnel advise me to change it between 17-20K.

Mine is a little early thats all.. I do a lot of 70%city and 30%highway driving so i guess its worn out a little early than expected as you put it.

But my question now is.. with 4MM still left, how far can i go before it becomes absolutely necessary .. I dont want to spoil my brakes .

The fiat guys say they will get the parts shortlly.. But thats what they always say anyway.... I cant trust those guys... Anything else can be done..

any changes you can advise for better longevity with whatever little I now have?

I think you can get in touch with service centres run by Bosch for a second opinion. Grande Punto pads (with normal driving) should last for atleast 30k kms. 17-20k is for cars with auto transmission, where brake pad wear is more pronounced. Even in Bosch ask them (pointedly) if they require just cleaning or a change. For major replacements, no harm getting it confirmed twice before replacing, especially if it's premature. Premature wear can happen if visit the ghat sections often, especially coming down familiar stretches tendency is to come down in gear higher than required so we tend to lean on the brakes more often than required.

Durango Dude2011-06-27 09:02:24

My 1.3 mjt brake pads have done 15193km exactly. Ive been shuffiling between the showrooms for a new brake pads

Punto/Linea's brake pads are soft and tend to wear out quickly. When my Linea went for its third free servicing [23' date=950 km - 15,000 km after the second one] at Concorde Motors, Mysore Road, Bangalore, recently, I specifically asked them to check and change the brake pads, if necessary. After examining them, they informed me it would be fine for the next 10,000 km, as I use my Linea in highways mostly.

Please call the spare part section of Concorde Motors, Mysore Road, Bangalore and ascertain if they them in stock. If so, take your Punto there, get them examined and replaced, if necessary.

J.Ravi:: Dude thats where i go every time... (Good to see someone else so close by!!)... :)

That exactly the place where i bought my car from too.. and I visited them just today for an opinion and the head mechanic told me it my 4mm pads will last another 500-700km in city