parthi2929

How to detect odometer tampering?

Well, title says it all. How to detect odometer tampering, if going for a used car? I mean, a reliable confirmation.

Possible to read them from ECU? (as no other reliable method could be found.. checking tyres, checking for misalignments they are just can raise doubt but cannot confirm tampering)

Mis-aligned digits in previous gen Analogue Odometers indicates tampering & its quite easy as it can be done easily by rotating the figures manually by mere opening the Glass cover of Instrument cluster, while Tampering Digital Odometer isn't an easy job as it involves tampering via car electricals-ECU & this can be cross checked by checking out the car condition(as parthi already quoted).

While ECU-scan can tell more about the Engine running span, Engine parts functioning percentage, Emissions, Working efficiency, etc which can be related to the Relative amount of car/vehicle used.

While in 2-wheelers, Used Car/bike dealers use to spin the Front tyre of a bike in opposite direction by various means to Reverse its Odo-reading.dr_nishu2011-07-05 02:57:46

Does the checking of the speedometer cable too helps,I mean if its joints are tempered(if the system is disturbed)then also it may be possible of running the car for thousands of kilometers without the odo readings changing.This is frequently found on bikes and some taxi drivers too follow the same path to save some cash for themselves.

Cars are often delivered from the factory with the Odo cables disconnected. I have seen this with both my Hyundai's. Also, dealers involved in the despicable practice of using new cars for demo also do that. I wish both ends were sealed. As for electronic odometers I have seen on AutoTrader that a retired car thief changed the Odo of a Merc by 50,000 miles, and then put it back. Supposed to have taken him only 5 minutes.

with mechanical odo's at one time if you tried to doctor it by rolling it back 'lines' (whwtever they are!) were supposed to fall on the odo. So they learnt to just roll it forward.