abhineet

used Sedan or New hatch!!!

Hello Friends

I want to buy my first car, preferably a Sedan, but am not too confident about my driving skill as of now, so want to know from you all what should I do here,

buy a new hatch n sell it in a couple years or,
buy a second hand sedan and sell it in a year or so,

I took the driving classes, though I drove okay there, I am  bad at reverse parking.

Appreciate the responses..

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-07-13 12:58:07

@Abhineet:

Its all upon you to get a new hatch or a used sedan.In my views its better for you to go for an entry level hatch as it will serve you for three-four years hassle free and wil help you polish your driving skills at its best.

You can buy a premium hatchback, that is easy to drive and maintain. Perfect car that comes in mind is Ritz. Tall seating position inspires confidence. Dont worry much. You may be a little down on confidence for first 1000 km but will pick it up soon.

Sedan for a beginner is definitely not recommended.

Get a reverse parking sensor set for your car.

Also selling after two years is not recommended, as you would lose a large margin. Best sell it after 4 years.

@Abhineet:

As you are a beginner then I'd recommend you to go for either alto k10 or Wagon-R as both of them are great cars with easy to drive nature and are really very much user friendly too with an ease in the city commutes offered by them which is simply unmatchable.

Buy the New sedan whatever you like.

Your driving skills will shape up maximum in a month after buying it.

Get the Reverse Parking aids(Camera or Radar sensors) installed to assist you while reversing.

But be sure about the ways you're going to traverse with your car, as its very difficult to drive a Sedan in a congested Bangalore city roads now.

i10 is a great car and you cant go wrong with it. Its a great all rounder and will never put a dent in your pocket with the maintainence.

Although, are you sure you have the right prices with you? I think, i10's 1.2L Magna version is around 4.6 if I am not wrong. Era is considerably lower. Around 4.25 if I am not wrong. I would recommend you go with the Magna as it provides most of the luxuries you mentioned.

@abhineet

Maruti has huge offers going on right now. Try going for a Ritz LXI/VXI if you can, which is a much better car in nearly all aspects.

If its even around 20k costlier and you can stretch, its worth it.

Also Magna has some features that are well worth the price( I think 10-15k extra) and you will end up missing them if you dont have it.

Never buy a tata car, if it is a petrol. They are problematic and has awful efficiency. For diesel cars, tata is still ok, but no match to Hyundai or Maruti.

There is actually no car for a beginner. First select your budget and your daily running needs. If you want a sedan, etios is a good option. Shortlist some cars according to YOUR choice and then we might help you to pick the most sensible one

Planning to book i10 era basic version with power steering ' date=' ac and front power windows. Its costing 4.5L on road with all the discounts.

[/quote']

My friend just bought Ritz ZXI(Mumbai ) at 5.25 on road with some 28k discount.

One friend bought i10 sportz for around 5 on road in chennai.

Beat is around 5.07 on road Mumbai LT(Option pack).

This are all good options. Few days back sat in the i10(friends) , felt like very congested interiors and plastic quality was also not so promising. While gear shifting you brush the passenger.(no offence to i10 owners). So do check Ritz , its better spacious than i10, plastic and built quality i found better than i10. It has a proven k series engine, which is a big hit.

@Abhineet:

I am an i10 owner and I myself won't recommend you to go for it,actually the car has no problem at all with it and I am also against Ashikawa on the saying that the car feels congested.

But still I'd advise you to go for a Maruti RITZ LXi/VXi instead of an i10,you will just need to stretch your budget a bit and just think you pay 4.5 for i10 era,instead why don't you pay 4.8 or 4.9 for a Ritz?

hmmm, actually hatch was never my choice, but i really dnt want to get a sedan and keep banging it everywhere as I am a novice when to comes to driving so thot to start with a hatch. 

@Abhineet:

you really don't need to be scared at all,just go and buy a 3-box/Sedan if you want it.What you need on the road is just confidence nothing else.

I still remember that after I just learnt driving I drove my father's Armada(Jeep-even bigger than sedans,with no power steering too)to Delhi and then Agra and at that time I was just 14.

About 15 days later we bought Innova and I drove it to Jaipur and at that time my experience was not more than a thousand kms or two.

Actually what I wanna say is that you just need to be confident and everything will go normal.

@Vignesh:

I'd advise you also to do the same and try out your hand on the public roads too,but strictly follow the safety precautions as well as try to keep as alow as possible in the initial days.

Soon you will realize that now your hands and legs have learnt how to make decisions and then you can drive wherever you want.

Last but most important,either get your car's glasses tinted or never go to the places where cops check the cars.

I was safe because those days my cars used to have beacon and hooters with a name plate.

And yes,its my personal opinion(so no arguments please):

Whenever you drive just drive in your own world,get lost in it and then do it.Like we say "drive because you want to not because you have to carry out some work" and then you will notice that even with very less experience you will drive like pros and your record will be clean.

Disadvantages of such driving are:

1)You won't understand what your ICE is playing.

2)Your passengers will be irritated from your attitude.

3)Speed limits will be frequently crossed,but that won't be dangerous because you will be knowing what you are doing.TSiVipul2011-07-21 16:08:06

Soon you will realize that now your hands and legs have learnt how to make decisions

@ Vipul: Ha Ha Ha.. Does it happen with you? you need MRI...

Coming to the point... You can make few more driving lessons on the sedan and once you get the confidence, go ahead with a sedan... Selling the car in two years is not advisable.

Alternatively you can buy used alto and try your hand till you get confidence to drive in all possible traffic and then buy a sedan. So for me it's used hatch and then new Sedan. All the best.nikvint2011-07-21 16:59:33