dineshzma116

My car Accident in Chennai- Lancer

Unlucky day in my life.( IT WAS a heavy RAIN )

Travelling from chennai towards chenglepet(at 12.30 midnight), speed was 100kmph, and just watch the explained pictures below. Hope, members will be carefull with the stupids after seeing this and also esp while raining....

screen1ux.jpg

screen2mh.jpg

screen3sv.jpg

Now this is the real picture of my car:

image0068cq.jpg

image0069dl.jpg

image0070p.jpg[/url]

image0071xz.jpg

dineshzma1162011-07-18 16:29:02

I'm sorry to see this happen to your car, dear dineshzma116 .

But, how come you were driving so fast when it is raining that heavily ?

Here is a classic case of how not to drive when it is raining heavily. 

In rain, one should always drive at half the speed one would normally drive

had there been no rain.  And, when it is night time, one should drive at less

than half the speed.  More so, when it is around the midnight.

These are golden rules that one should not forget.  Never, on a rainy day.

ALL USERS, WHETHER EXPERIENCED OR RELATIVELY NEW FOUR WHEEL DRIVERS, SHOULD SEE THIS THREAD AND AVOID SUCH ACCIDENTS. 

Highlights added: Mods.

sgiitk2011-07-19 04:24:54

Another Case study for ABS needs.

Hope you and others in your car are safe. Do avoid driving at 80 plus in heavy rain. If your car had ABS, you would have saved a lot today.

I reiterate, expenditure on ABS is an Investment. Do make sure your next car has it.

yes dude, ABS would be a great choice and it could saved me and my money.

Post Edited: We do not encourage Fast or dangerous driving. Please do choose your words carefully. That said, hope you and your car get better soon. CYRUS432011-07-19 08:33:08

One must drive carefully. One point not raised here at all, what was the truck doing in the RH lane in the first place? One must drive carefully, and try the anticipate the behaviour of road users. Also, in the wet be extra careful. If you do not have ABS (or in any case) learn Cadence Braking to reduce the risk of locking and sliding.

@Dinesh:

Your accident seems to be a lesson for most of the drivers who want to try out some hardcore driving in rains and midnight is the icing on the cake.

Still I am unable to understand how you was able to drive at 100 in a heavy rain and the Fiesta guy was even more hardcore racer because he was at 120 kph(as mentioned by you),but how come is this possible when you were at 100 and he was at 80 then how he suddenly accelerated to 120?

Either you was too far behind him for overtaking or the Fiesta was already at 100.

I seldom drive in heavy rains in night time until its an emergency but my rule is simple,get the parking/Hazard lights on,take the slow lane and get your speed limit fixed at 60-80 according to the road.

This is amongst the reasons for which I always shout in all of my new buys threads that ABS is a must.

@Sgiitk:

Its not only one truck,but most of the trucks and buses(nearly 60 percent)drive in the fast lane,but what is better is that they do not continuously change the lane but just drive in the one they have occupied.TSiVipul2011-07-19 04:39:20

TSI@ I was doing 140kph just 2mins before that, but when i reached the crowd area i minimized to 100kmph. Fron the long run itself i dim-dipped my headlight several times for taking this gap, donno what this stupid fello had think about, he never gave me a lane and dramatically increased his speed by cutting the gear. If i had changed from the RH to LH, he would have been thrown away atleast for some meters . Thats why applied the brake, in pumping method, but too never worked out. It was like a english movie, i went inside to the truck"s A*s and cameout like a junkyard car. lol. A nice experiance, and the most fun is, the truck driver still never know what was happened, and he just continued going like a duet singer.. ;)dineshzma1162011-07-19 04:56:19

@Sgiitk:

Its not only one truck' date='but most of the trucks and buses(nearly 60 percent)drive in the fast lane,but what is better is that they do not continuously change the lane but just drive in the one they have occupied.[/quote']

Yes they do have the habit, but improperly occupying the rh lane (it should never be called the fast lane) is not correct. Also, planning a zig zag manoeuvre in rain is not kosher. You are inviting a slide. Just think, if he had waited a few seconds, the chap in front would have gone past the truck and the overtaking would have been far safer.

@Sgiitk:

+1 sir.

Now it will take some time for me to practice RH lane instead of fast lane.Let me give you the reason why most of the truckers,especially the loaded ones take the RH lane instead of the ones they must follow(These are the reasons given by one of my truck drivers and I feel them valid too)

1)When the truck is loaded,firstly it does not brake adequately,secondly if it brakes then the pick-up is killed.Now if you are in the LH lane then there is a probability of tractors,bullock carts,cyclists and parked vehicles blocking your way,while it is not in case of the RH lane where you can easily cover miles at a constant speed and hence it is beneficial as well as safe in case of trucks to move in the RH lane.

I AM SURE EVEN YOU WOULD ALSO NOT LIKE TO COME IN FRONT OF A LOADED TRUCK WHEN YOU ARE EITHER PARKED OR IS MOVING IN THE LH LANE.

@Dinesh:

I used to think that I am only insane on the forum,but you are far more than me.

The truck driver may have heard the loud noise of collision but has not stopped himself because either he was afraid of being caught or he had not felt the jerk.

@dinesh and Vipul. We at Autocar are strict followers of safe and responsible driving. Please refrain from discussing your driving habits which appear to be of the contrary.

@TSiVipul; Two points

1. I know of the problems of Dual Carriageways Indian Style. The least one can expect is to move over once you spot faster traffic behind you.

2. With both lanes blocked how would you know that the road ahead is clear? On a prayer! Even more so when it is raining. If I am overtaking (or in this case, excuse the pun, undertaking) it is my duty to ensure that I can carry out the manoeuvre safely.

@Dinesh:

Still I am unable to understand how you was able to drive at 100 in a heavy rain and the Fiesta guy was even more hardcore racer because he was at 120 kph(as mentioned by you)' date='but how come is this possible when you were at 100 and he was at 80 then how he suddenly accelerated to 120?

Either you was too far behind him for overtaking or the Fiesta was already at 100.

.[/quote']

It looks like a deliberate increasing of speed by the Fiesta. I have observed this type of attitude on highway by many drivers. When we try to pass them with higher speed at the time when they are at lower speed they tend to increase their speed and will not allow us to pass.

We are very used to with driving habits of truck drivers as they always remain on RH but the act and attitude of Fiesta's driver is real cause of concern and is very difficult to change.

POST DELETED: PLEASE REGULATE THE CONTENT YOU POST IN THIS FORUM.

We are not a bunch of animals or savages that go around dishing revenge and act as you have described. Either improve your posts on this forum or risk being banned.

You have been warned. CYRUS432011-07-19 15:56:57

@TSiVipul.

You did one good thing to make understand the Santro driver's mistake but the way you reciprocated is not correct. It is just like you just got saved from one accident and was inviting another.

I always try not to react as it is more dangerous. Drive Safe.

I have said this in the past and will say this again, there is no weather you cannot drive fast in. If you are aware of your surroundings and are aware of what your car can do and what it cannot do, you can drive fast as long as you are safe.

This thread is going offtopic with unnecessary posts. If a similar trend continues, it will be shut.

Well,SORRY for the faults made.Now lets get back to the topic.

@Dinesh:

Now what about the repairs being carried out,I can also notice one(left hand side) ORVM and blinker(indicator) missing on your car.Hoping to see it as fresh as it was brand new.

Motto of the whole incident is "better safe than sorry". To all members: drive safe.

Agreed when you are young blood tends to 'boil' a little more, but suggestion is to channel the extra 'josh' in the right direction and get ahead in life rather than involve in such antics. Remember there are people at home waiting for you to arrive safely.

May I suggest that Dinesh & Vipul carry our their personal discussions on the PM channel.

I totally endorse Cyrus and DD. May I suggest one word to DD. Replace safe by late. I recall one lovely sign posted by Himank (Border Roads Organisation in Ladakh). Better be late Mr Motorist, than be the Late Mr Motorist.

An accident is an accident & I don't think people are fools who would gather ir-responsible driving habits from this thread. The results are for them to see & make up their mind on how to drive..!

Discussions on ABS, how to avoid such situations, damage & repairs will be insightfull.

Waiting for the oriental india insurance, also i donno how to mention the reason, whether they will accept or not. Still now, the car is not yet touched by the servicemen, waiting for the insurance people to come and take a photograph. / I totally agree with you all, Safe driving is must and deep from the heart iam saying it.

Very sad to look at the pictures, hope nothing happened to anyone. Do not speedup your vehicle at the night times, because it is ofcourse full of truck drivers domination and all the hardcore drivers would be using the oppurtunity to race with. As like you explained, the both lancer"s and fiesta"s speeds are mismatching one during the rain which we cannot guarentee our lives. Please drive slowly and carefully, in foreign countries there's a maximum speed limit of 120kph in all the vehicle, and a buzzer sound would start to blowup if we cross the limit. Drive safe, be happy!

"Be as a roman when you are in rome"

I would say, this accident is mainly because of lack of vision. I am sure the Lancer would be tinted to a good level and I doubt what one could see through that on heavy rain plus 100plus speed.

IMHO, Fiesta can't suddenly increase from 80 to 100 in few seconds. Its torque or ingear acc says this. So do pay extra caution while driving tinted cars in rain.

I also met with an accident during rain in bangalore where a median started all of sudden in a road. I was trying to overtake an auto and all of a sudden the median was in front of me. A little of patience and I could have avoided it. The same situation is here as well. Now I drive a little cautiously during rain :)

Firstly:In the rainy conditions the roads are slippery,tyres are nearly out of grip and in you brake in such conditions then it proves to be extremely dangerous.

But this all can be saved from if the driver is having some patience,well one more lesson from this thread..PATIENCE IS THE KEY TO SAFE DRIVING.