gautam888

Need a sedan under 12 lakhs

Welcome to our ACI Forum. Wish you a pleasent and knowledgable stay here.

Gautam, can we have more of your needs by getting the below details filled.

Whats your Budget - Rs 12.00L

Kms driven monthly - 2000 kms

Bodyshell - Hatch/ Sedan/SUV/ MUV

City/Highway split - 00:00

Max No.of Passangers - ______ most of the time  

Boot space Importance - ______ High/Low/Medium

Usage by - __________________normal/Enthu/Lady/Old age

Ownership - _________________City/ Outskirts

Safety - _____________________High/Medium/anything

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS/Resale/Passenger Comfort

Softcorner'd Manufacturer -

@Mods,

Can you please make the following thread a sticky one? It helps us understand the needs of buyers better and ensures both of us saves time.

creativebala2011-07-25 06:23:24

@CB: Good suggestion, have stickied it so that newbies are able to find topics easily, instead of creating a new thread.

@Gautam: Welcome, two things that come to mind keeping with your needs: SUV: Scorpio,MUV: Innova, Sedan: Verna & New Fiesta.Durango Dude2011-07-25 07:11:56

@Gautam

If its an SUV you have no option other than Scorpio. If its a sedan, you can go for Verna SX(O).

However if you can stretch your budget a little, Cruze 2.0 LT is 12 lakhs ex-Delhi and is great package.

@Gautam:

My opinion is also not any different,but the following are my views:

1) If its an SUV,then nothing except Scorpio.

2) If its an MUV,then go for Innova with closed eyes,in fact you can get it over Scorpio if you are thinking of a 2WD Scorpio.

3) Actually if you can adjust with the shape,then you can go for a Xylo too in case of MUV,why,the reason is HERE

4) If you are thinking of a Sedan,then its Verna for Diesel or Honda City for petrol.

While you can also have a third choice of Chevrolet Optra Magnum if you want some true raw power in diesel and love to harness it.If you can stretch your budget,then as mentioned by Rahul1810,Cruze is the best.

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT,IF YOU CAN WAIT FOR SOMETIME THEN HAVE A LOOK AT 'SOON TO COME-TATA ARIA 2WD'.TSiVipul2011-07-25 08:01:50

Thanks for the reply.. I shortlisted 3 cars (all are diesel)..

1. Ford fiesta classic diesel

2. Fiat linea diesel

3. Chevrolet optra magnum diesel

I have monthly over 2000 kms running in which 1000 kms are on himachal highways (rough roads), so which car should i prefer among the above three.. ??

@Gautam:

From your shortlist,I can say that you have made the list from your heart.Now from this list I'd firstly remove the Fiesta classic.Why?The reason is simple:

Fiesta is having great handling but the ride isn't as good as it needs to be,as mentioned by you that you will be traveling on the rough roads.also the high maintainance nature of the car plus the engine although has grunt but is a bit underpowered too.

Although if you like the car then you can go for it,because it has a trump card of decent FE and low on-road-price.Its FE is about 16.5 kpl overall.

Now remains only two cars in the list,Fiat Linea and Optra Magnum,now I'd like to tell you that since Fiat is being serviced by Tata so its after sales service is not an issue and a very big issue both simultaneously.Its not an issue because now service center is near your house and its a big issue because Tata guys are ignorant towards Fiat cars(my personal observation) also spare parts availability isn't as well as it could have been.

The Linea is else a great car with a really great handling,body control,safety and for rough roads its the best out of three and will keep you away from even the biggest of the bumps as they will be killed by its suspension itself.Its exterior looks are killer and its feature loaded too to the brim.With all this on offer,you get a decent FE too.Its FE is about 16 kpl overall.

Now came the Optra Magnum(My personal choice any day out of three):

Optra Magnum firstly has acres of space and can even seat 5 six-footers in a quite comfortable manner.The ride and handling are also great and the car is really very stable at any speeds and any kind of roads you throw at it,it really eats it up.

Rest the cumbersome dimensions and Chevrolet after sales availability maybe an issue in the Himanchal.

the power and torque of the car is enough to ashame even the large hulking SUVs and the ride quality is decent too.

The throttle response is totally a warp in front of Linea and Fiesta.whenever you press the gas hard,you see all the world getting behind in your ORVMs and your car moves front with a great stability and yes,for this thrashing power and speed the brakes are also having a good bite too.

All this is also at a decent FE,although its less than Linea and Fiesta but what the car offers,if you see that then you will find it really decent.Its FE is about 15 kpl overall.TSiVipul2011-07-25 09:17:27

Rough roads point straight to a Scorpio or an SX4. Chose from either one, both are good, SX4 being a sedan is more comfortable.

None of the cars you have selected above will be as good for the roads in the mountain as these are.

I agree with Rahul. SX4 diesel offeres amazing amount of ground clearance and would be perfect for your requirements. Although my first recommendation too would be a Scorpio.

None of the cars mentioned by you are a great fit for your requirements but if you insist on going with one of them, I personally would go for the Fiesta classic and avoid the other two.

-For rough roads, the worst will be Fiesta when it has 3 people at the back.

-Optra is really good car, but it is too old and one can't say how long it will be selling, so thats ruled out.

-Linea & SX4 are ok. ( SX4 GC is not what it used to be, today most of its variants has a GC equal to Swift's GC)

My choice for you as of today, Skoda Yeti.

My choice if you can wait a bit, Tata Merlin.( my overall choice ).

My choice if you can wait a little more Mahindra W201.

@Creativebala:

Skoda Yeti? When the budget is 12 lacs!!smiley37.gif

Hey,you know what,you have recommended a 18 lacs costing car to a 12 lacs budget guy.

Agree with you on the policy of wait and watch till the launch of Mahindra W201.

According to my sources,Optra is going nowhere,instead GM will get it facelifted within next 2-3 years.don't ask what the source is,but when the facelift will come you people will get the pictures 2-3 months before the launch.

@Gautam888:

Again I am rigid at the same place,if you can wait,then wait for Tata Aria 2WD,or go for either Optra or Linea or now you can also involve SX4 in your list(I'd never recommend that).

Still if there is even a very small chance of stretching the budget,then close your eyes and CHOOSE TO CRUZE-->

@tsi,

Never thought its that costly, I thought it should be 12-14L.

Whats there in a Yeti for 18L. IMHO, its slightly roomier and better GC on a Fabia with good power. Asking 2.5 times the price of Fabia for this is rubbish.

OT

@Bala Yeti is a lot more than just a grown up Fabia. You have to test drive the car before you know it. It is slightly more expensive than it should be but its an amazing car nonetheless.

OT

@Creativebala:

Actually you have seen the one-third face of Yeti.

the Yeti is really not a single car,its multi cars packed in a single body.Its a powerful and bigger hatchback for those who want the practicality of a diesel hatchback in the city.

Its a Sedan for those who want a sedan and its comfort with a good handling too.Also it offers the FE of a sedan too.Else which SUV gives 15+ FE overall.

Its a small SUV for those who need one,with high GC and 4X4,its also offering the all terrain crushing ability of an SUV and with a brilliant handling its offering a bonus point too because SUVs lack this feature.

Also there are many other features like ESP(Traction control),Hill descent control and may more..

Hence I think the car(note:I said a car)is okay at the price.

@Durango Dude:

I think selecting the best car among the ones competing in the magazine is more of one's personal choice.Like some people find the features useless and think more os simplicity.

in my personal views,VENTO is still a better car with more matured looks,solid built and decent space and most important,have a look at the price difference between it and the new leader.

Depending on your preference here is my opinion of what you should buy:

city travel - Verna fluidic

highway > city - Vento

light Off roading - scorpio (the best SUV option for u)

Economy(maintenance and running cost) - Sx4

there has been a suspension trouble with my friend's sx4 which hasnt been sorted out by maruti yet after 4 months.

i personally dont like the looks of the new fiesta. sorry if you are considering it, no offence meant to any fiesta owners. smiley35.gif

Rest assured follow your heart, just make sure you have service centers available and the car has good ground clearance for rough roads. Buy the car that first comes to your mind and you will be happier

Good luck!

how about the all new suv from the mahindra stable the XUV500 its got everything ! and is priced at 10.65lacs ex showroom.

Have you seen or Test Driven it ??

Heard that it's yet available in 6 Metro cities only.

Do try to check out once if it's near your city before finalising the Decision.

Just go with New ford fiesta. We bought it 2 months back it scores in all the departments and more on FE too city it was 18kmpl and highway it is 23kmpl.

And also you can just check the new skoda rapid, but FE would be less