karanmods

Buy a new car diesel automatic.

I want to buy a diesel automatic in the range of 14-18 lakhs .But I am in a dilemma .Firstly I want a great automatic transmission.And then a powerful engine.I am confused between the Laura 2.0 tdi and Cruze LTZ AT.Which car has a better automatic transmission and performance.The new Jetta seems to be around the corner.Should I wait for that?I even heard the cruze was coming up with a new model....is that worth waiting for.Please advise. Thanks.

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-07-29 03:22:53

Laura 2.0 TDi would be my preference between the two. Laura has great power and luxury which Cruze cannot match up to. Another PLUS point of Laura is the interior space compared to Cruze which is cramped in the rear area. Regarding AT, again the preference would be a Laura.driftpunk2011-07-29 03:46:15

I would go for Cruze mainly fearing Skoda's AfSS. Its really a tough choice. It will be like a battle between Brain(GM) & Heart(Skoda).

If COOwnership is not your concern, buy Laura. I wouldn't suggest a Jetta because it looks exactly like a Vento, so why shell out more for a bigger Vento. My choice is to wait for new Cruze.

PS - Why not a CIVIC AUTO? The Cost you spent more on petrol Civic will substatially gets lower when compared with the maintainance of Laura.

In a nutshell,

Overall Cost of Civic + Fuel bills+ Maintainance < Overall Cost of Laura + Fuel bills+ Maintainance.

The paddle shifters are a bliss and we have lots of Civic owners here.
creativebala2011-07-29 05:36:23

Frankly, most of the A/T available on affordable sedans are not that good. I would advice to stretch a bit and opt for cars like, Passat, Superb. That will set you back by another 5-6L from your current budget. 10L plus can get you BMW 320d corporate.

If you are tight on budget, I would suggest that you stick to Laura, even knowing the poor service of Skoda.

Go for only laura,we have been driving one from almost 5 months and i can't believe that all this civic and cruze stuff are anywhere even near it,the laura is the best of all.it drives great,it has best rear seats and it gives best mileage too.

laura diesel is good if automatic,we have a petrol one but still the diesel automatic is also among our daily drives and it is a fantastic car,even i find the cruze a bit too cramped in front of it.Service costs are not at all too high,creativebala himself don't know about skodas and is just saying what he has heard some years ago from some grieving skoda owner.

Go for the cruze AT.Ahe best option for now.

@suycity-wanted to ask-how much mileage are you getting in the laura eh?and what do you mean by that the service costs are not high.for eg-the 3rd service of a cruze costs RS6000/- but the same for the Laura is RS18000/-.thats a threefold higher cost man.!smiley4.gifvignesh2011-07-29 10:46:28

@vignesh,i am not the Laura owner,its my friend.I have many times heard his saying that Laura petrol gives 15 kpl on highways and Laura diesel gives 17-18 kpl.While as much i know,Cruze gives only 15-16 kpl.

I don't know whose laura it was,what i know is that my friend paid only 10,600 for the service,i mean third service.

@suycity-about mileage-I am constantly getting close to 20kmpl from my cruze.have crossed 22kpl.I suppose the friend you are talking about is TSI vipul.If thats the case,then isn't his car petrol?petrol cars cost much less on maintenance.!smiley4.gif

Vignesh,i think you drive your car by pushing it half the way,because you are the first person in the world who says that cruze gives 20+kpl.

how much do you drive?

do you ever downshift from top gear?

I have also tasted the cruze many times but i feel that laura is still better if you consider the overall package,i have also heard that DSG is a better new-tech gearbox as compared to cruze one.and the seating space of the laura is far far better than the cruze.

does the corolla altis too have automatic in diesel?my friend is buying a manual and he told me that corolla altis does not have enough power but it has good comfort,great mileage of 20+ and very low ownership cost like most toyota cars and overall its the best chauffeur driven car in the segment and hence he is buying it.

Karanmods,if altis is also there in automatic and you have a chauffeur then why don't you buy it?

I would say the best diesel automatic is the Laura .. With 140bhp DOHC engine over the 110bhp SOHC manual engine the Laura is perfect car at this price range . I would advice you to wait for the new Jetta and then compare the two when launched .

Thanks everyone for the help and advise. I think il wait for the new jetta, if in the real world it does not look much like the vento then il go for it.Otherwise the laura's a good bet,The only issue remains about the laura being changed next year smiley7.gifBornFree2011-07-29 17:37:03