arun1987c

FFE problems

Hi Gurus,

I was reading about the problems of using the FFE in the cars, mostly problems with the cops. Here are my quesitons,

1. Can FFE or muflers installed in such a way that it will increase the performance and will not attract the cops towards our car?

2. Will FFE installed cars pass the emission tests, since the CATCON is removed while installing it?

3. If muflers are alone modified to get the music, will it have the above problem, will it have any improvement in the performance?

Basically a FFE removes the back pressure created by the factory fitted exhaust system and increases peak power and also will raise the decibel levels and also emissions (will definitely fail emission tests) as cat con also gets bypassed/removed. Drilling holes in a muffler: you will get only the music/noise and no increase in performance.

Its the end can that shows up and starts to roar from the time the car starts, so making it obvious for cops all the time, where as the FFE can be tuned to open up at specific rpms, so that till 2k rpm or say in city or cop prone area, it acts as a normal car.

Many rally cars do not have FFE, yet they make a loud exhaust note. That is mainly because of redesigned manifolds and a CAI. Sometimes a normal exhaust is cut short after the cat con.

Mufflers are joined after the end can. So they only make loud sound and give no performance. Even a full FFE without proper headers and without appropriate breathing system will not give any performance benefit.

If you do not want that sound, yet want to have some performance benefit, install a Green cotton/K&N or a cossworth and a redesigned manifold.

@ Aerospeedcars - I don't have a car right now, waiting for a car from my dad in 2 months. So started planning all the modifications from now to make my budget ready. It will be a petrol car for sure, may be a M800 or Zen. It will be my daily use car, so do not want the cops to catch me often (My route to office is really a cop filled zone, they have regular booths to catch the petrosexuals for their mischiefs smiley36.gif)