sushrut

disc brakes in monsoon

disc brakes do get wet during the monsoon. i have experienced that a wet disc lacks bite and force to a large extent..how does this thing go with rear disc bikes?

This is where ventilated disc brake are at their best.

The ventilated petal discs on the APACHE RTR are the best examples you can check out. But, ABS, if fitted on the bike will act as a boon for this season. Try out the APACHE RTR ABS.TAUREAN CZAR2011-08-04 16:29:27

All said and done, a set of good gripy tires are so all equally important for one to stay on top, i remember one rainy day finding myself in between a Merc and a BMW when the front tyre decided to have a mind of it's own..scary

@Petrolhead:

You are really lucky that your bike did not hit that Merc or BMW.Else you would have to leave your bike with the owner of the car.

Returning back to the topic:

I have got a HECU(ABS) installed on my Pulsar 200 about 7 months back and everything is going on fine.So I'd advise to get either Apache RTR ABS as already mentioned by Taurean Czar,else get the Bosch HECU installed on the bike it will cost you about 6k for the complete ABS system.

@Petrolhead:

I have got a HECU(ABS) installed on my Pulsar 200 about 7 months back and everything is going on fine.So I'd advise to get either Apache RTR ABS as already mentioned by Taurean Czar' date='else get the Bosch HECU installed on the bike it will cost you about 6k for the complete ABS system.[/quote']

Hello ASiVipul,

This was a new information to me! Could you give more details on from where you got Bosch ABS systems installed on your bike? And could you be more elaborate on the performance and safety of the retro-fitted ABS kits?

And do you have more idea if Retrofit kit for Cars are available from Bosch?

@Carispassion:

Of course,just find the Bosch center(Bosch dealership) in your city and there you will easily get one for your bike.The time I got it installed,it was a very costly option and it costed me a bomb 12,800 bucks but after the launch of RTR ABS,Bosch has started selling some other units too which are available for 5-7k with them.

My ABS is working perfectly,but it does not have any ON/OFF button like on the RTR.I have done about 2k kms after it was fitted and still I am to find any complains with it.

About cars,I don't know.

Edit:I also got my front disc too changed.TSiVipul2011-08-07 16:30:00

@TSiVipul,

Thanks a lot for the info. A retro kit @6k seems to be a very good deal.

Also, going by the lines of TVS Apache 180, hope the other manufacturers too wake up and provide the ABS option inĀ  their bikes too!

Friends

ABS really works great on the bike,i too have ridden the pulsar mentioned above many times and i can say that the ABS is really great,only problem is the the ABS installed on the pulsar is an older model,so it is very expensive and also works only on the front disc,now a days you can get one at about half the price,with same quality and both discs coverage too.

My advice,if you go for ABS on bike then get the rear disc installed too if your bike has drums and then get the ABS fixed.

@Suycity:

Who told you that my HECU does not cover the rear disc?

HECU takes data from both the wheels and as a result manage them together,yes it is true that the HECU I have installed does not work completely for the rear wheel because its for the front one only yet it collects the data from the rear wheel and slightly work with it.

The rear wheel loses the grip on wet/slippery/less grippy surfaces if brakes applied very hard.

Have addressed the problem to the Bosch,they told me to get it checked once,after they checked it,they said "SIR,THIS IS THE OLDER SYSTEM YOU HAVE BOUGHT,THE LATEST TECH. ONE IS HALF OF THE PRICE AND WORKS EVEN IN EXTREMELY HARD BRAKING TOO".ACTUALLY I PRESSED THE REAR BRAKE VERY HARD TO SHOW THEM THE LOCKING,IT DOES NOT LOCK ON TARMAC,BUT ON SLIPPERY SURFACES IT LOCKS UP.

As soon as I reach home,will be giving a small demo of that with pics,give me 15-20 days guys.