AMG1

2011 Swift (Indian-spec) Review

Swift Prices revealed

141y2.jpg

These are introducory prices. So will go up withing few days.

A local dealer informed that new Swift is available for display at showroom.

Details available

Key features of the new Maruti Swift

New Maruti Swift LXI/LDI features
Parcel tray, lane change indicator, fuel consumption display, tilt steering, low fuel warning lamp, Head light ON reminder, key in slot reminder, seat belt unfastened reminder, Power steering, manual AC, Immobilizer and body colored bumpers.

New Maruti Swift VXI/VDI features
ABOVE +

Electric ORVMS with Indicators, Keyless Entry with Security alarm, chrome door cabin side handles, four power windows, central locking, fog lamps front and rear, body colored ORVM, body colored door handles, wheel caps, day night in-cabin mirror.

Maruti Swift ZXI/ZDI features
Both the ABOVE +

Height-adjustable driver seat, rear wiper washer and defogger, Dual Airbags, ABS with EBD, Steering wheel controls, Integrated Audio system, Auto AC, 15 inch alloys, six speaker audio with four speakers and two tweeters.

New Maruti Swift general features
New Swift has wraparound silver accent in dashboard, sporty three-spoke steering wheel with silver accent, center console has a waterfall design, premium sporty fabric on the seat, storage pockets on all the doors, retractable cup holder on dashboard, rear sporty antenna, dynamic grille design and unique vertical headlamps.

Maruti-Suzuki-Swift-3.jpg

Source:IAB
ashikawa2011-08-17 07:39:13

Which is the model/variant to choose in the Swift Deiesel?

Which will be the hottest selling color in the new Swift, White ruled in the last gen.

What about the price, is it on the higher side?

I think the price is on the higher side especially when you see the on road price in Mumbai falling to 7.6 lakhs for top end diesel . I would test drive the vehicle and see the quality of the interior before judging more about it .

PS - I hate that alloy wheel . Weren't OE alloys supposed to be elegant and not wacky!!!

There is no new features in this new swift apart from new design , ZDI variant and  some tweeters.All this features were present in earlier generation swift including illuminated steering mounted controls.Its better to wait wait for facelifted variant 3 years down the line than buy now.It makes no sense to buy this model now.

GOLF2011-08-17 09:32:26

I feel the price is competitive. They have put in some good features, only missing one is a bluetooth. 30k less than i20, 20-30k more than previous model is the perfect positioning of the car, especially considering competition and Ritz.

For us enthusiasts, maybe the thought is how much Swift sells, but for Maruti thought would have been, how much Swift and Ritz sell, and this pricing ensures that.

30k less for better A.C, better drive, better engine, better mileage, less niggles. Slightly less space and poorer quality can be overlooked.

The kings throne is no where being challenged right now.

It will start from where the old car left off. It's going to be wait lists galore as the bookings have crossed 50k from the web cast and that itself would take 2-3 months to deliver so any one who books it today prepare to wait at least 6 months. With the pricing looking extremely good, this will go right to the top of the segment.

well these are introductry price. Expect an hike of 25-30K in a month.

These prices are more like a carrot to attract more bookings. What i know is, Maruti/Hyundai has the practice of charging the price prevailing at the day of delivery.(Almost all OEM has this practice in india) So if somebody book today with this price, will he be able to take advantage of  less price. Even if doubt that with bookings clocking 50k the existing booking will get this introductory price benefits, because these prices are set to increase very soon.

Just Spot on pricing..

The best just gone more Better.

MSIL have targetted whole of the cars of this 5-7 lacs price band, beginning from Figo to Polo.

Swift's greatness needs no Justification now, except for a small Test-Drive.

There is no new features in this new swift apart from new design ' date=' ZDI variant and  some tweeters.All this features were present in earlier generation swift including illuminated steering mounted controls.Its better to wait wait for facelifted variant 3 years down the line than buy now.It makes no sense to buy this model now. [/quote']

New features include; As per ashikawa quoted,

New Maruti Swift general features
New Swift has wraparound silver accent in dashboard' date=' sporty three-spoke steering wheel with silver accent, center console has a waterfall design, premium sporty fabric on the seat, storage pockets on all the doors, retractable cup holder on dashboard, rear sporty antenna, dynamic grille design and unique vertical headlamps.

[/quote']

In addition to this are:

-Standard Tilt steering across all the variants.

-Multi Info display.

-Outside temprature gauge.

-Lane change indicators.

-Premium music system with Speed Sensing Volume controls & USB/i-Pod connectivity.

-Better/Improved Automatic Climate control system.

-Improved New-Gen ABS.

Which is the model/variant to choose in the Swift Deiesel?

Which will be the hottest selling color in the new Swift' date=' White ruled in the last gen.

[/quote']

IMHO, White VDi will rule the charts again.

Another nearest contender seems to be is the All-New Glistening grey shade.

BTW, Now my hunt for a Diesel hatchback, depends only on how much satisfactory its TD is going to be. smiley1.gif
dr_nishu2011-08-17 13:26:28

@nishu - apart from new design there is nothing new features not even bluetooth in this vehicle.Its better to wait for 3 years or when new facelifted model comes.

Anyways I am thinking of selling my swift as the problem of burning  smell from A/C  is not disappearing despite showing to different 3 MASS. .I am now looking towards Polo or even new etios liva if price is within budget and sell my swift.

@Nish, yes Vdi White should be the pick of the lot.

i20 facelifted & Polo D with new engine would be the contenders.

Wonder what Fiat is going to do with the Punto!

Figo is placed a notch below so not much to worry.

@sarabjeet: I don't think any car maker can afford hike the price of a car by 25-30k within a month' date=' unless something drastic happens. [/quote']

Yes i know i was pushing for it but after 2-3 months MSIL would do it just like Fiat did with Linea.

what are these lane change indicators in the new swift?

Indicator glows for 3-4 times on slight left/right push to the indicator control. though it is a common feature though newly introduced in Swift.

Swift launch eclipsed by a resurgent Jazz, remains to be seen how the situation pans out in the future. Brio and Hyundai HA will add spice to the already boiling cauldron. Players have to prepare for wafer thin margins as the 'biggies' stoop to conquer.

Durango Dude2011-08-18 15:29:40

Braking & build quality are the only weak areas in the previous Swift.

As per various TD reports build' date=' fit-n-finish is better now.

Lets watch for the Braking. IMHO, the culprit for the weak braking of previous Swift were Skinny 165 tyres & over-optimistic engine but Now MSIL have altered these aspects also.

So I'm expecting Better Braking in New Swift D, atleast in ZDi variant.

BTW, I'm posting here here the Specifications & Comparative feature list of New Swift.

5a0RNl.jpg

DEl9Jl.jpg

(Gaadi.com via IAB)[/quote'] 3Red

I wish if only the Diesel Engine Torque Starts At 1750 RPM like in Indica Vista ,Thats more drivable ,more fuel efficient Too ,

Swift launch eclipsed by a resurgent Jazz' date=' remains to be seen how the situation pans out in the future.

[/quote']

The one thing where Swift is still ahead is the name and fame associated with the car. The car had gained so much popularity(and sales) that one section will buy it blindfolded because it is a swift and it is better than the previous one. The same thing that happened with Zen and WagonR.

In that respect it seems that Jazz is a new launch and like it never existed before. People will need to grow enthusiasm to go and test it, rather than "I already like it".

Swift launch eclipsed by a resurgent Jazz' date=' remains to be seen how the

situation pans out in the future. Brio and Hyundai HA will add spice to

the already boiling cauldron. Players have to prepare for wafer thin

margins as the 'biggies' stoop to conquer.

[/quote']

sir, I really doubt if the masses will really realise the value of the jazz and thus make a dent to to swift, even in its petrol version. although a lot of swift petrol buyers have warmed up to the jazz, I am still sceptical whether the jazz can really dislodge the swift petrol. It will only be next year when a diesel heart gives life to Honda that swift would be really threatened.

I feel swift will lead nevertheless, thanks to diesels followed by i20 in the same bracket, while jazz should now be  a very close no.2 amongst petrols to swift, and perhaps snatch it from it in the coming time.

I went today to see the new swift, expected a lot from it given the brouhaha over it, but came back having almost the same feeling I had after tding the petrol verna,

It still doesn't touch Jazz as a premium car as well as VFM car.

As

A day before i got the chance & time to check out the New Swift.

Seen there New Swift ZXi & VDi, as the former was alloted to the dealer for the Test Drives while the latter one was at Display in the Showroom.

My Observations & Views about New Swift;

-Overall the car felt much more Cute & curvy in character, the latter thing is now much more balanced now.

-Overall Sweetness & Cuteness is increased by the lower stance, small bootlid & widely extending headlamps.

-Talking about its tail-lamps, My friend who was alongwith me noticed that the Side transparent element of the tail-lamp gives the hint of the tail-lamp of New Jaguar XJ(A bit Optimistic but still its a true thing).

-Coming to the Interiors: 

Suprisingly everything felt refreshingly new & fine.

Driving position, Pedal placement & Steering wheel feels even more Sporty now, the latter is the best in VDi/VXi trim as it comes with complete Silver trim(minus Audio controls), as shown in pic below.

-Rear Seating Space is improved now, almost by around 2-inches.

Attached below are the differentiating pics of the VDi/VXi w.r.t. the ZXi/ZDi.

-New Steering Wheel of VDi/VXi trim(w/o Audio controls, whereas LDi/LXi is having the V-accent in black colour).

WEz5il.jpg

-Centre Console with Manual Climate controls for HVAC & Maruti-styled dedicated central space for Music System. 

OiVGKl.jpg

-Dashboard Grain finish is much better & even the top-part of the dashboard uses the same grain finish as that of Fluidic Verna. 

skSnql.jpg

-90mm Increase in length even eminent inside the engine bay, considering the placement of Oil filter.

NML0Dl.jpg

-Repositioned Coolant Reservior, now its between the Engine Head & Battery(as encircled in Red).

eLBIll.jpg

-New look Wheel covers for VDi/VXi variants.

DlMR8l.jpg

-Rear Seating Space is improved now' date=' almost by around 2-inches.

[/quote']

buddy  , not by two inches, its a increase of 20-24 mm each as given my MSIL officially ,in the rear and front respectively, which is an inch almost  , although I found it still not as roomy to my idea of seating of 3 people at the back....

Clearly tv ads built up helluva hype around the new swift baby, MSIL could have used the length more effectively within the cabin rather than just putting more in elongating the bonnet.

Never mind that, it appears more premium than the oldie swift, and hence is the best buy for a diesel hatch , vis a vis i20.