AMG1

2011 Swift (Indian-spec) Review

buddy? ' date=' not by two inches, its a increase of 20-24 mm each as given my MSIL officially ,in the rear and front respectively, which is an inch almost? , although I found it still not as roomy to my idea of seating of 3 people at the back....Clearly tv ads built up helluva hype around the new swift baby, MSIL could have used the length more effectively within the cabin rather than just putting more in elongating the bonnet.[/quote'] Yes. You correctly said it. Internal space is almost the same. The increased length translated into longer bonnet. The boot also reduced to 204 ltrs. from 225 ltrs.

buddy  ' date=' not by two inches, its a increase of 20-24 mm each as given my MSIL officially ,in the rear and front respectively, which is an inch almost  , although I found it still not as roomy to my idea of seating of 3 people at the back....[/quote']

Internal space is almost the same. The increased length translated into longer bonnet. The boot also reduced to 204 ltrs. from 225 ltrs.
I'm telling my observation here, brother.

One of my friend is having Old Swift VDi, as he's 6.2ft tall so always used to drive with his Driver's Seat at last position & my knees used to foul with the back portion of his seat.

But the same I tried out in New Swift, revealed almost near to 2-inches extra space. Which is partly due to increased wheelbase, re-positioned Rear Seat bench & carved out legroom from front seat back portion.

However the Seat-base/bench felt l'll bit smaller than that of previous Swift interms of under-thigh supporting area but the Cushioning is better than before.

Sitting 3-persons abreast in most of the hatchbacks(except Indica) is always a Squeeze.

I've talked about New Swift with 2-3 MSIL dealers & shockingly all of them was promoting it as the Same-old previous Swift with re-designed lights, bumpers & Interiors & IMHO, that's the biggest unfortunate thing happening with New Swift.

Other changes which I noticed & came impressed with these are:

-The Door closing thud is really improved now & is much more Solid & loud, a very Un-Maruti like.

-The Door/floor sill is also increased in its Cross section now, hence aiding in its rigidity of the chassis. Its is almost Figo-like in size & feel.

Posting it here becuase its a reason of worry for New Swift seekers also....

Maruti halts production at its Manesar plant

Maruti Suzuki has temporarily halted production at its Manesar plant suspecting that some workers have been tampering with the quality of cars being produced. Maruti has already suspended 21 workers and also dismissed some of the workers.

This is the third production stoppage at Manesar. Labour disputes had resulted in production being temporarily stopped in June and July.

The company is forcing workers to sign a 'good conduct bond' before entering the factory following alleged quality issues that arose last week.

The automaker suspects that some workers have been tampering with the quality of cars.
Heavy security has been deployed at the plant since Monday morning as the company management decided to make the workers sign the bond.

Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) spokesperson could not be immediately contacted for comments.

However, when contacted, Shiv Kumar, who had led the workers during the strike in June, said, "The management is forcing us to sign an undertaking that we will not indulge in any union-related activities under the influence from outside following the rejection of our application to form a union at the plant by the Haryana government."

The company source, however, said MSI has been facing serious production issues, including meeting targets and quality control in the past few weeks.

"On August 24, 1,230 cars were planned to be produced, but only 437 were assembled. Out of which, just 96 cars could pass quality check," a source said.

Workers have been indulging in deliberate attempts in reducing output and also in compromising customer interests, he added.

The workers who have been suspended and dismissed are being charged with sabotage and causing quality problem in cars produced last week, the source said.

However, asked about the allegations of tempering with the products, Kumar said, "Some management-supported guys are doing this after the product is ready just to take revenge on us for the June strike."

Earlier in June, a 13-day strike demanding recognition of a new union - Maruti Suzuki Employees Union - at the Manesar plant crippled the production with the company losing 12,600 cars, which were valued at about Rs 630 crore.
Source:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/maruti-halts-production-at-its-manesar-plant/179548-7.html

@Mods: Please move this post if not suitable for  this thread.
ashikawa2011-08-29 11:04:03

That's really a very very bad news, especially considering the Good reputation about better quality what Maruti Suzuki have earned in recent past.

& Only due to this they're at the level to fight other rivals like Toyota, Hyundai, etc for their Product particular levels.

I took a TD of the new swift today.My impression is both positive and negative.

Positives bits:

1. The design is much better than old swift

2. the center console is fabulous and unlike some people complaining about  fouling with left leg  was unfound.

3.Front legroom is more than current swift

4.gearshift and clutch is much  better than old swift

5.steering wheel is light and precise and quality is terrific

6.The seat belt height adjuster is all new and seat has a wide base compared to old swift.

7.ride is much better compared to old swift

Neutral:

1.The interior light is situated not above rear view mirror but located above and between the front seat head restraints

2.the top of dashboard has iffy plastics but lower half is good.The quality of interior is mixed bag with some good quality some plastics especially power window switches are really poor. overall interiors are better built than old swift.

Negative bits:

1. The engine feels very similar to old swift

2. rear seat is still feels cramped and improvement in legroom is hard to tell over old swift.

3.Booking amount is 25000 is too high.

4. ORVM adjuster did not work in TD vehicle which was hardly 10 days oldsmiley11.gif.Maruti pull up your socks and severely punish those selfish  sabotagers severely or you may be the next british leyland

5.The car keys are same as in  old swift

Impression:

If you already driving the old swift then improvement or shall I say new car feel  is negligible

but for others go for the current swift it is truly the class leader in its segment.

About those workers who sabotaged cars - its shows are colonial heritage is live and kicking.Shame on those workerssmiley7.gif

GOLF2011-08-31 09:09:46

the company has managed to manufacture not more than 1000 units in the past 1 week. In order to meet the present demand, the company was supposed to manufacture about 8400 units of the Maruti Suzuki Swift. As a result of this, the bookings of the car will be backed by a very long waiting period. Owing to this, the dealers have suspended the bookings for the new Swift till the strike is called off and production continues. At present, the car comes along with a waiting period of as long as 8 months.

This delay is really bad.In coming years it would be difficult for car companies to work in India due to misguided Govt policies and a new found hooliganism in the country.If established Companies like Maruti are having difficult in maintaing  cordial worker relation then  investments in our Auto sector will reduce and growth is going to suffer.It is clear indication of symptomatic problems in Indian car industry.

That's a very bad scenario for MSIL & the Swift seekers. Production of 1000 Swifts a week as compared to its 80k bookings is like 'A pinch of food in a mouth of Camel'.

This can seriously hamper the Reputation, Profits & Swift brand loyality, especially if any other Good, Capable brand/car comes into the market meanwhile.

Only expectations are on VW now for the updated Polo launch with better Diesel engine as other manufacturers(like Toyota) have lost the opportunity this time by under-estimating India for quality & Over-estimating with Cost-sensitiveness.

dr_nishu2011-09-08 05:20:33

Maruti Suzuki to stop production on Friday as strike spreads

MUMBAI (Reuters) - Maruti Suzuki, India's top car maker, will cease production on Friday due to unrest at its Suzuki-owned engine supplier, the company said in a statement, as an 18-day long standoff with striking workers brings its factories to a halt. Production at Maruti's Manesar factory, where it makes its popular Swift model, has been severely hit since workers walked out on Aug. 29 after the firm demanded they sign a discipline agreement, claiming some had engaged in sabotage. The company will close its two factories on Friday after the unrest spread to Suzuki Powertrain, 70 percent owned by Suzuki, which supplies around 300,000 diesel engines a year to the car maker from its India plant. "Following the strike at its vendor, Suzuki Powertrain India Limited, supply of certain critical components to Maruti Suzuki's facilities has been disrupted," Maruti said in a statement on Thursday. "As a result, Maruti Suzuki's plants in Gurgaon and Manesar will not operate on Friday, Sept. 16." Maruti, 54.2 percent owned by the Japanese car maker, has vowed it will not compromise with the workers who are refusing to sign a "good conduct bond", and has been steadily hiring new employees to bring the factory production closer to normal. Osamu Suzuki, chairman of Suzuki, had said last week that indiscipline would not be tolerated. The current stand-off at the factory, which on Wednesday produced around half of its total capacity of around 1,000 cars, comes as India's car industry grapples with slowing demand on high interest rates and rising costs. In June, about 800 workers went on a 13-day strike at the Manesar plant, in northern Indian Haryana state, leading to more than $90 million in lost output.

Source: IBN Liveashikawa2011-09-15 14:27:56

Maruti Suzuki to stop production on Friday as strike spreads

Nothing can get more worst than this !

Even on City roads, I see very few of New Swifts daily(say not more than 2-3) during my daily commute.

Instead Micra is doing very well here.

Seems that My Swift is going to be delayed upto the Next year, but I can't wait for so long. So will try to get it by Oct or will have to run for any other options.

Thanks for the upcoming soon Nissan Sunny & Skoda Lauretta launches.

Suggestions welcomed.

Initially I was pretty inclined on the new Swift but now feel it was more of a herd mentality borrowed from Indian consumers at large! Choices galore, can't form a case enough that justifies a 6 months wait.

@Nishu, Sunny will come with a Petrol to begin with. Lauretta will continue to carry over Skodas legacy of costly spares & service.

It's better Maruti is seriously considering setting up a new plant in Gujarat.

All along, Gurgaon had been a troubled spot.  I remember a General Manager of a auto spares firm being killed by workers (may be last year).  At regular  intervals, we see disturbing news coming from Gurgaon.  If it is not auto parts/ancillaries sector, it is either the IT sector or the Infra sector.  It is high time, that something is done to ensure peace and cordial environment in that highly industrialised area.  Due to the recent havoc in Japan, places like Gurgaon have started to hog a lot of limelight in the Global auto space.

But, these prolonged disturbances are certainly not healthy sign for the sector.

It may not be long before the others too start moving out of Gurgaon.  Bad for Haryana state and a blot on the emerging Indian Auto sector.  

While the management of Suzuki, the workers, the waitlisted prospective buyers are all spending sleepless nights, the only person who is grinning seems to be Mr Narendra Modi.  It's the perfect time to make the right move. 

has any one got the expected rates for the lxi and vxi models.

Hi kettu

This car is now available in the market and ruling the Indian rods the price of LXI is Rs. 4,22,341 and VXI is Rs. 4,75,983(Ex-showroom price of New Delhi).

Some more things I want to share with you all about this new swift how its different from old swift.

New Swift is swifter with more acceleration apart from more power to weight ratio. Besides, new Swift also offers improved fuel efficiency. There are as many as 140 new features in the new Swift. Some of the features have appeared first time on any entry variant. With new look, enhanced features and more mileage, the new Swift is sure to set a new benchmark in the

As per Local Maruti Suzuki dealer' date=' New Swift, Swift Dzire & SX4 Diesel gets expensive by Rs.10k from today.[/quote']

Hi dr_nishu

Ya I also came to know about this news ans its just only with New Swift, Swift Dzire & SX4 Diesel but also other diesel cars like Ritz hatchback, prices were raised by 2,000 rupees  and reason behind raising price was price increased of raw material  

I find Maruti Swift a value for money car. Company should change its exterior appearance and should make it more sporty whenever they plan to launch a new model for this car. More features like bluetooth connectivity, parking sensors etc. can be added. Other cars in the same range like Tata Manza and Fiat Grande Punto(hatchback) have got more features as compared to Maruti Swift Dzire.

Maruti Swift is a VFM model. The VXI variant is not having the ABS and EBD in safety feature  but the Maruti Swift ZXI variant having all the demanding features like Automatic Climate Control, Alloy Wheels, Dual Front Airbags and ABS

(Anti lock Brake System) with EBD, Electromagnetic type tail gate

opener, rear window wiper, rear window demister, audio controls on

steering, tilt steering, integrated audio system with 4 speakers, driver

seat height adjuster, 12 V accessory socket in luggage room, rear

parcel shelf, keyless entry, rest all features common with the previous

variants.

Source: Maruti Swift India & Maruti Swift