DeadlyPiranha

Frankfurt 2011: 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport

SUZUKI_SWIFT_SPORT_1.jpg

It's been a long time in the

making, but Suzuki is finally ready to add a sporty variant to the

Swift's range. The Japanese automaker released a single photo and

details of the Swift Sport ahead of its official debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show next month.

The

new Swift Sport is powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine with an

output of 135HP at 6,900 rpm and maximum torque of 160 Nm (118 lb/ft) at

4,400 rpm. The four-cylinder engine was developed especially for the

Swift Sport and it transmits power to the front wheels via a newly

developed six-speed manual gearbox.

According to Suzuki,

the new Swift Sport is more refined than its predecessor that was

launched in 2006. The company says it will also be more responsive

thanks to struts with internal rebound springs and a redesigned rear

suspension.

While it has a more aggressive look than the regular versions

thanks to the large honeycombed front grille, the redesigned front

bumper with the big fog lights and the side skirts, it isn't as wild as

the Swift S-Concept we saw at the Geneva Show last March.

Although

Suzuki has not released any photos of the interior, the company claims

that

Suzuki has revealed a performance variant of its Swift, called the Swift Sport. The Japanese carmaker will unveil the car at the Frankfurt Motor Show this September.

Based on the all-new Swift that will be launched in India very soon, the Swift Sport is powered by a 1.6-litre petrol engine linked to a six-speed manual gearbox, and produces 134bhp at 4400rpm and 16.31kgm of torque.

In a brief statement Suzuki revealed the Sport

9 lakhs is a bit too much ,should not be more than 7-7.5 lakhs at the most if MSIL wants it do amazingly, but if MSIL wants  to break away from its usual " efficient, high on average, low on maintenance"  boring image then The Swift Sport might be the Ace in its sleeve.

MSIL tried breaking away with its old image with the The Kizashi, which was tagged as India's first sports sedan, I don't know how much it was true , or maybe that added to it not working in the market, but I am sure a super hit product like Swift will get great numbers if such a lovely enthusiast oriented car hits our shores.

I will be waiting for this little monster , if its coming at all!

And if sx4 is a beast,  then this baby will be nothing short of dynamite.

9L ??? You must be kidding me..

What is the point of such a huge price tag? There is no value for it..

All that India will get would probably be a 16" wheel (AT MAX), and a slightly better upholstery..

so they are going to charge 9L for 2 less doors and 135HP( That can otherwise be extracted off the showroom also with no after effects.)

Silly MSIL will fail big time if they do it

Forget this coming to India.

They are not able to make the standard Swift in enough numbers to satisfy the existing waiting list of thousands of prospective buyers.  

Moreover, how many would really want to buy a 2 door version in India ? 

What would be the size of such a demand ? 

@mclaren,

9L seems to be a wise price. The 7.5L you are mentioning is the price of current ZDI in my city. If you add projectors, racing suspension, other asthetics jobs, better engine, better brake shoes, better exhaust system, it should be worth 9L

@ramesh

Even though this car may not be feasible for the mass, this can be sold in India.

Reason: remember zen carbon

It looks hideous and rear tail lamp assembly reminds me of dzire.Two doors have never been popular and this car will not sell in good numbers  if ever sold here.

Malaysian Launch : India has to wait

The Suzuki Swift Sport is already being sold in several international markets. With an upgraded engine and refurbished looks, this model is soon to be launched in Malaysia auto market as well. However, despite Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) being closely associated with Suzuki in a Joint Venture, there is no clear indication as to when this car would be available in India. But industry experts are of a view that the model will witness the Indian daylight somewhere during the end of ongoing year.

Both manual and automatic transmission versions of this vehicle are available in international markets. With a M16A 1.6 litre engine, the power output has been bumped up to 134 bhp, which propels the car to smoothly glide from 0-100 kmph in just 8.7 seconds. Extra sportiness is visible with new alloy wheels, a rear spoiler and HID head lights. Along with a number of comfort features for the convenience of passengers, the auto maker has also incorporated a number of security advancements, which will ensure complete safety of its occupants. Following the same, airbags, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) have been provided in the Malaysian version of Swift.

On the launch of Swift Sport in India, sources close to the development process stated that the prices of petrol and diesel are possibly playing a major role in delaying the decision process at Maruti Suzuki. The company would need to wait and watch the fluctuation in fuel prices and only will then take a calculated risk to launch the new Swift Sport. As of now, the existing Maruti Swift is doing well and is the top premium hatchback in the country. Reportedly, the diesel guise of Swift is more in demand as compared to the petrol version.

I always thought that Swift 1.6 wont come here in India owing to petrol price fiasco, but when Maruti launched Ertiga with 1.4 K Series petrol engine, I thought that Maruti has a great chance here to plonk the bigger 1.4 in Swift, tune it to 100bhp and bingo you get a hot hatch under 10 lakh, when Hyundai can have 1.4 i20 100bhp petrol then why cant Maruti.