Rajeevraj

Question on Airbag deployment

Hi,

I am planning to go in for a 2nd hand SX4. I prefer the Zxi over Vxi due to the safety features. A sales guy in a reputed True Value showroom(whom I know) made a statement that it is better to go for Vxi over Zxi. And the reason he quoted was that the airbags in SX4 can deploy even in the event of a minor hit by a bike. According to him there is a sensor somewhere in the front bumper area and if there is a hit directly on it( for example even if it is minor bike hit), it can trigger the deployment.

Now, I don't really believe this and I think it was a ploy by the salesman to push the Vxi (he did not have Zxi available). I also searched all over different forums and could not find any reference to such an issue.

But would like to hear the input of experts in this forum on this topic.

Thanks,

Rajeev

Airbags has its own pros and cons.

In high speed crashes it saves life, but if you are slow driver, your roads are rubbish and are learning driving, Airbags can best be avoided.

As the SE explained, even in minor crash, the airbag opens up and you will be end up paying close to a lakh.

(Might be a commercial but it has some points)

Have a look at this video,you will come to know.Also helps you to take the decision.

What he(salesmen) told you is cent percent correct,but you have to consider both safety and money!Aerospeedcars2011-08-19 09:41:07

Airbags has its own pros and cons.

In high speed crashes it saves life' date=' but if you are slow driver, your roads are rubbish and are learning driving, Airbags can best be avoided.

As the SE explained, even in minor crash, the airbag opens up and you will be end up paying close to a lakh.
[/quote']

Man creative, if it can save lives in high speeds, then surely it doesn't hurt at low speeds ? or does it?

There is a lot of mythology about bags and all , let me tell you. Even if one sits in the wrong position, or gets a kid to sit at front , or a kid sitting at the back unrestrained by a seat belt, the air bags can actually cause fatal injuries.

Most of the people have this mindset , you just outlined, that in a minor crash it opens up and you end up paying a lakh or so.

But still ONE CAN NEVER PREDICT ABOUT ACCIDENTS.

Always go for a car that has bags, sit at least 10 inches from the steering wheel , drive safe , be it at 40 or 80, and leave rest to god.

surely , none of us would mind paying a lakh if one gets saved from any serious injury ? people drive like madmen in cities, mega or not.

An airbag will only deploy if its a front hit, and if seat belts are applied.

Even a tight / improperly fitting seat belt can cause duodenal injuries, which can be life threatening, so probably a SE will say dont wear seat belts as avoidable.

Don't be misled friend, go for the airbags, they might save your life.!

Have you seen any complaint on this or any other forum about this form of air bag deployment. I think it's too much hyped about. If this were the norm, airbag's would have been removed as SRS from all car's. I think at least India bumping into vehicles in front is nothing new with chocablock traffic, there must be at least 10 accidentally inflated air bags every day.

Durango Dude2011-08-20 01:28:41

In high speed crashes it saves life' date=' but if you are slow driver, your roads are rubbish and are learning driving, Airbags can best be avoided.

[/quote']

Its highly irresponsible statement!

In india they are must whatever the speed be but one has to realize that airbags are supplementary restraints and seat belts should be worn at all times as they are the most important safety devices

Have you seen any complaint on this or any other forum about this form of air bag deployment. I think it's too much hyped about. If this were the norm' date=' airbag's would have been removed as SRS from all car's. I think at least India bumping into vehicles in front is nothing new with chocablock traffic, there must be at least 10 accidentally inflated air bags every day.

[/quote']

Yes, you are correct. I searched a lot and could not find details of any such occurance. But posted the query to hear some feedback on this from experts in this forum.

I have decided to go with a vehicle that has ABS and Airbags.

That's a good eye opener thread. My choice while i was in market is Punto emotion while my dad's was swift VDI ABS

Both had only ABS and I was worried on new swift not having that particular option, but now I ll go for ZDI.

SPL thanks to DD too for the clarification part.

Airbags are not that much Sensitive either.

As few months back my cousin had an collision with a 3-wheeler, while he was in his Ritz ZXi at the speeds of around 50kmph. But the latter resisted their Inflation.

Probably they'll comes into action at speeds of 65kmph or above.