Bodyshell - Sedan/SUV

City/Highway split - 60:40

Max No.of Passangers - 2 most of the time

Boot space Importance - Medium

Usage by - enthu

Ownership - City

Safety - anything

Prime requirement - acceleration/handling/ride/features

i like the new jetta but confused about the laura and cruze (both have upgrades soon!) I am also open to second hand ownership but maintenance is a concern. I havent mentioned any SUV's and am frankly not a big suv fan but i like the idea of go anywhere. if i should consider any?

I have really been tempted by the dsg with paddle shifts but on the other hand cruze is a missile too. Cant really make up my mind wish i could buy them all   smiley18.gif lol.

Please help guys, need a new baby by the end of this month

You should give a consideration to Skoda Yeti. It is a very good premium compact SUV, such that you won't feel it is really big either, because of its compact dimensions.

Also have a look at Renault Fluence, it may be a dark horse in the fight. Autocar praised its ride and handling capabilities.

Among the options listed above Jetta is the way to go. Overall a better car, a fresher car. Slightly costlier than Laura but worth it. However, just for your info Skoda is launching Laura RS on 23rd this month and it is supposed to be an enthusiasts delight

I will echo what Rahul said and ask you to consider the Skoda Yeti which is a fantastic car. Loaded with top notch features and great off roading ability should you decide to take her out.

Jetta would be my second recommendation too.

Fluence really is a stunner but the diesel model lacks kit so it would have to be a petrol.

Kms driven monthly - 1200 kms

Bodyshell - Sedan/SUV

City/Highway split - 60:40

Max No.of Passangers - 2 most of the time

Boot space Importance - Medium

Usage by - enthu

Ownership - City

Safety - anything

Prime requirement - acceleration/handling/ride/features

for 1200 kms a month,suggested-petrol

max passengers 2 at a time, suggested- not much of rear comfort/legspace

bootspace-medium suggested - almost all sedans are same here.

usage - enthu  suggested - sedan as your city splt is 60 pc, which favors a sedan more than a suv

safety- anything- devil, if you are spending well, you better make this anything to  ULTIMATE, why, ?

cause your prime requirement- acceleration/handling/ride features

I don't know why you are jetting for JETTA.?

when you have the fabulous LAURA L and  K , I think it tops out your budget of 20 lakhs, is a dream car for many speed freaks to own and drive.

the cruze maybe a diesel rocket, yes. the ltz auto surely unleashes a lot of raw power, but I would still recommend laura l and k anyday if budget allows.

why? - interiors, in cruze they are simply, unremarkable, the ride quality of laura is much better, and handling , well , is the hallmark of laura, though pretty good in the cruze as well. Both cars are made to be driven.

although both cars are tanks, I would feel safer in a Laura which is almost 1500 odd kgs.

both cars are the benchmarks of handling and power in cars this side of 20 lakhs.

The jetta. the new one I have not driven , still, I cannot comment on it.

I think the Laura rider sport too is coming back , which well is another story in its own, for an enthusiast nothing works like a rider sport, , nothing this side of 20 lakhs, do inquire about it

Thank you for your response rahul, asethi and mclaren..

Yeti is the perfect all rounder for me but the looks just make me face the other side of the road.(no offence meant!)

Frankly speaking I love the Laura too waiting for the RS but my only concern was that laura and jetta both have the same engine 2.0 TDI with DSG and in my opinion jetta would be more refined simply because its newer and from the parent company. Laura on the other hand is not a very strinking from the rear, dated design. (my opinion!)

the interiors and exterior are both bland on the jetta but somehow I still like it. The car looks aggressive and going by the specs it looks like a skoda killer only if it handles like a laura, big question because the previous model was a disappointment.

@mclaren I didnt emphasize on the safety only coz if i buy a top model version of a car, I expect to get all the safety features possible, it ll be pointless to have all that power behind the wheel lol...

One question why dont many people recommend cruze. What is the problem with car?

More than the problems with the car, the problem lies with the typical mindset of people, when it comes to buying a car in this segment especially.

My cousin , who bought a cruze Ltz auto , faced similar issues when he went car shopping probably a year or so back.

He had a similar budget of around 20 lakhs, and being a car freak himself, he bought it despite facing flak from his people who perhaps had other choices.

When I managed to take her for a spin, I was totally blown away, reminiscent of the rush I got from the Laura tsi, . The central console spiked my hormones further and the overall driving experience including handling got that "kid like gaping jaw" emotion I still carry about the super certified diesel rocket.

Every car has problems, people have had horrors with skoda A$$ and spare parts controversies , civic's paltry low end torque and gc, altis's " boring and uninspiring driving experience" , and so on .

Although some of these problems arise from genuine reasons, some of these can be sorted by a little change in driving style and possible after market changes/ going for the right variant.

Let me not into go in further nitty gritty, but the Cruze has two big problems mainly, plastics that do not belong to the segment , and cramped rear space. The auto box helps drive ability in the city ,and does full justice on the freeway as well.

My cousin , who had driven almost all cars mentioned in this thread,as well as some well above the budget he had in his mind, zeroed in for The cruze purely for the driving pleasure it gives him.

I have myself driven it to my usual red lining style, and the Car is simply PAISA VASOOL "VFM" if you are looking for a diesel car for driving pleasure.

The jetta, old one, never stoked my emotions, hence I reserve my comments on it. no idea about the new one.

Do inquire when the new cruze is coming out, there was some news about the a new power plant coming that hikes the power to around 163 ps, which I am sure will only heighten the already amazing value of this car.

The after sales of GM is much better than skoda and vw, and this was a deal breaker for him  in Punjab, at that time, when I asked him about the laura.

TD all your cars, I am sure the cruze will not disappoint a driver ever, not sure about rear occupants though,

@mclaren you are so right buddy, every car in this segment has something or the other missing but as a package all the cars are really good.

I am also getting a used superb, a4 and a6 in this budget dont know whether i should think about them as well. I was worried about the ASS expenses. how much would an audi a4 or a6 cost yearly to maintain?

As much as i love driving, my family's heart remains with cutting running costs and shifting from a petrol to a diesel. Believe it or not I was planning to buy a used modified octavia RS for 4 lakhs, stonking performance (0-100 in 6.8 secs!) too bad I dont get to make the decisions around here. hehe!

I agree with u mclaren that old jetta was a sad drive. the new one on paper promises a lot of things, my hopes are high. If it can match the performance of Laura I ll be happy for now. I was also checking up ABT's website it said they had a tuning available for the same engine in the golf VI but the only diff was that golf is factory tuned for 170hp and the output after the tune would be 195hp. (That car is a missile!)I am not sure whether the same tune up can work on the jetta here and get it somewhere close to even a 180hp, it can be awesome!

@mclaren I would like to know what is the maintenance of your cousin's cruze, i m sure that its not as expensive as the skoda's or vw's.

Please do inform me on the 2nd hand car market and the car's maintenance within this budget the budget can go upto 2 lakhs higher

Thanks.

Sure buddy, will get back to you reg the cruze,

Guess what, the new cruze , apart from more power, will get a better designed rear. So it seems GM is really responding to the buyers and ensuring an already hot seller snips its shortcomings.

About the 2nd hand market I have frankly very little idea, although I have been reading a lot about people finding "gems" . Well its just me, I have never suggested 2nd hands to anyone till date , not that I have had a bad experience with them, but then its just me. Still, finding a worshiped beauty is a great thing, and I am sure requires a lot of networking.