sgiitk

Skoda Fabia

Just saw the write up on the Fabia (India Edition). Looks like an excellent car, but I have a few observations:

1. Projector headlamps should lead to their wider availability os OE as the competition rushes in the upgrade.

2. Absence on Climate Control  is bad. Even the Swift has it on the ZXi. Should have been available at least as an add-on.

3. Saw somewhere that VW is switching to Common Rail in preference to PD! If so then why not CR instead of PD. May also cut out some of the noise.

Saw it in the flesh and got lucky today! yep, I test drove the 1.4 TDI Elegance version of the Fabia a while back....

My observations -

1. Very good interiors - comfortable seats, full of features that are not even mentioned!!! Examples - all 4 power windows are auto up/down with pinch guards on all of them, brake assist!

2. The plastic quality is not AS good as ACI's review states

3. The diesel engine NOISE is very irritating and it sounds as loud as an indica, perhaps even louder.

4. As per ACI and the brochures - 1.2 petrol will NOT be available!!! (Although the dealer says that 1.2 is also on the cards)

5. The colors on offer are too less! I saw it in white and silver today and didn't like either of the colors. Frankly these Skodas will look best in LOUD colors like reds and yellows...

6. The brakes are just about ok (and I tested the ABS version)

7. Pick up was good with quite a bit of turbo lag though

I tested it at Giriraj Motors in Gurgaon.

I think I've pretty much decided - I'll buy the Fabia. My preference is the petrol version - I'm just waiting for a test drive on that and will monitor the trip computer to see what fuel efficiency figures it throws out. If its above 12/13 kmpl, its a no-brainer.

Overall, a nice car. Worth the hype? a cautious yes is my answer.

Saw it in the flesh and got lucky today! yep' date=' I test drove the 1.4 TDI Elegance version of the Fabia a while back....

My observations -

1. Very good interiors - comfortable seats, full of features that are not even mentioned!!! Examples - all 4 power windows are auto up/down with pinch guards on all of them, brake assist!

2. The plastic quality is not AS good as ACI's review states

3. The diesel engine NOISE is very irritating and it sounds as loud as an indica, perhaps even louder.

4. As per ACI and the brochures - 1.2 petrol will NOT be available!!! (Although the dealer says that 1.2 is also on the cards)

5. The colors on offer are too less! I saw it in white and silver today and didn't like either of the colors. Frankly these Skodas will look best in LOUD colors like reds and yellows...

6. The brakes are just about ok (and I tested the ABS version)

7. Pick up was good with quite a bit of turbo lag though

I tested it at Giriraj Motors in Gurgaon.

I think I've pretty much decided - I'll buy the Fabia. My preference is the petrol version - I'm just waiting for a test drive on that and will monitor the trip computer to see what fuel efficiency figures it throws out. If its above 12/13 kmpl, its a no-brainer.

Overall, a nice car. Worth the hype? a cautious yes is my answer.
[/quote']

as you said it...CAUTIOUS definitely...do wait for some time till you get some feedback from new buyers,since the new cars would give out results of performance/reliability...only once ther are run for few hundred miles...so do get the opinions first  for the new car....

Well don't you think 3 cylinder is too less .Swift win here 1250cc motor with 75bhp as compared to 1400cc and 69bhp.

Possibly. What also matters is the torque (I do not have the figures off hand) and the gearing. Remember that the City with less than 80 bhp ran the SX4 (100+) very close in the ACI test.So these will have to be seen.

Let the market place decide. The Fabia with the hype and wait will do well initially, but in three months plus the reality will be known.

What I am sure is that MS will come out with a ZDi and also possibly upgrade the ZXi with projector lamps, and lower down the line make the ABS standard.. A few other goodies may also come our way.

I am not sure that the sun roof is a particularly useful idea in the North, since it is either too hot or too cold most of the time.

I was reading that the Fabia's 1.4 Petrol is a 4 cylinder 16v engine - that should do it for me...

If there is a 3cylinder 1.2 petrol, it depends on which one - Skoda has the 6 valve and 12 valve ones...the 12 valve 3 cyln 1.2 is really good as per UK reviews.

So its just a wait and watch for me...

By the way the prices being whispered around are:

6L for base petrol

6.8-7L for 1.4 petrol elegance

diesels will be +75,000 (should've been +1 lac but they escape the extra excise 8%)

here's the link to the indian brochure:

I'm going for the 1.4 Ambiente. Although must say I'm in love with the projector headlamps on the elegance. DAMN. life is cruel.       :(