rohan

Suggestion for New Car

Hi , I am a 21 year old Delhi based guy looking for a car with a budget of 16 Lakhs. I am confused which car to buy. I have test driven Renault Fluence, Corolla Altis G, and chevrolet cruze ltz. My Monthly commute is about 1000 Kms, so i dont really mind if its a diesel or a petrol. Please suggest me with the best possible car in this segment. I am considering The verna fluidic as well with 1.6 petrol SX. i currently drive a diesel verna!

Thread moved.

BornFree2011-08-29 06:34:15

Of these 3 Cruze would be the best all round bet. Fluence would be good too if you want.

Also if you want a petrol car, I wonder why you are not looking at Honda Civic. At 30k over Cruze LTZ you can get V AT variant with paddle shifters! There might be some good offers going on too.

You still can choose between a HONDA CIVIC or a SKODA LAURA all in petrol variants. Also consider TOYOTA COROLLA but it's outdated compared to other.

Problem with CRUZE is that it's feels too claustrophobic for me.

Honda Civic may be due for a replacement, so either wait for a clearance or wait for the new one. But the new one has been given a smiley21.gif  by many auto mags design wise as compared to the present, and also looks drab and confused in pics.Corolla Altis would be the sane choice, Laura: if you are able to handle the service, after living with a Hyundai may come as a culture shock. Cruze doesn't have the driving comfort, I have TDed it and found it extremely uncomfy in the city especially the hard clutch (no offence). Renault Fluence is the new kid and service remains to be seen as also the reliability.

Hi Rohan,

With your budget there is plenty of choice and I would suggest 3 of these

a) Cruze Automatic- Called the pocket rocket, if your love driving you are going to love this one- but service intervals of 5k km is the pain here

B) Corolla Altis ( Petrol): Not the best in anything , but nothing can give you better piece of mind and bullet proof reliability as this car can

c) Skoda Laura : Hoot to drive the TSI motor, but be aware of expensive spares and lousy service.

This apart the other choices are :

Fluence : Great car but over priced ...

Civic: Without offence to any Honda owners, I beleieve that Honda has been exploiting the Indian's need for snob value for a little too long. I bet they have also paid auto jurnos to write great things about Honda. While they make good cars it does not justify the 2-3 Lakh premium they charge ( they too agrreed recently by slashing the price of City and more recently the Jazz) WHen they slsh the price of Civic, it will figure in my list above...

ZMT.jpg

I would suggest you to stretch your budget a little bit and consider Suzuki Kizashi.

I have seen it recently and I found it quite big from out and inside as against the perception of being a small sedan with high price tag.

Considering your age Kizashi seems to be just right car because it has a sporty look, great road presence, powerful engine, good interior , exciting design and last but not the least Suzuki's rock solid reliability / service network and peace of mind.

Renault Fluence is also a good option but it's just too new to try for as from the company point of view as well as from the car point of view. Both the Renault and the car Fluence is yet to try their mettle in the Indian market.

Toyota Altis is also a nice option but it has more serious character.

Looking at your choice and keeping aside Sedan option and considering your budget you should try for Skoda Yeti.  Suggesting Skoda Yeti because it is a well engineered , feature rich mini-SUV from reputed manufacturer.

120.jpg

in petrols- laura tsi ambiente- best ride,acceleration,handling this side of 20 lakhs, service is not that bad as its made out to be in some areas, currently great offers are on, you can get the same for around 14 l on road delhi.

civic- powerful, was perhaps the most spacious before fluence came in, pretty powerful, would recommend this only if you can wait till january when the new civic comes, and I totally expect a Jazz type clearance sale somewhere around the holiday season, so you can get a great deal if honda manages to slash it to around 11-12 lakhs or even less .

altis- the ultimate ride of the class, in terms rear seat comfort,best ride quality amongst all the sub 20 lakh cars, great fuel efficiency, backed by toyota , ticks most boxes if you are buying it for fuel efficiency, ride comfort and family.

cruze- diesel rocket, monster of an engine, great value for highway swoops ,I personally like its central console the most amongst all sub 20 l cars, otherwise the plastics and interiors are neither as spacious or premium w.r.t the other cars. go for automatic ltz variant which will top out over 16 lakhs as the manual clutch , as pointed out by durango sir is a real pain ...........

fluence- the most "new" looking car , I personally liked the car, the petrol version is the one to gofor as its decently loaded while the diesel mill is a very stripped version, its now the segment leader in legroom at front and rear, I am sure renault has some plans to stay in india, do inquire about service in your area, its a gamble at this stage to for it, though.

if i was to put my big bucks it would be either a current civic at a clearance price/ laura ambiente tsi in petrols / altis in that order depending on how my people react to them.

and in the diesels- altis diesel(the most complete car overall)/cruze( if you don't mind cramped rear space)

personally, I don't think diesel cars should be considered, provided your 1000km runs , if you can wait , laura rider sport might come around in october, its the ultimate drivers car of this segment, do inquire about it as well.

tejas, I think the jetta is a diesel only car, but since he already

drives a diesel verna  I think he would more conversant with diesel

cars.

Hey rohan, I don't know if you like her, But the Sonata is a great car by her own, albeit a forgotten one . Its a little old going by market age,also the market didn't accept it much , but it gives a lot of value at its price. Has staggering cabin space, decent interiors and I think you can squeeze the dealer a lot on discounts given that the car has not sold that well. One of my friend has an embera, and he is totally satisfied with it.

also , its a hyundai , you might like it! Do ride it , I like the embera quite a lot, it has terrific road presence and is a joy to drive as well.

I would look at the Altis Petrol AT as my first choice (I am a bit biased towards automatics). My second choice would be a Cruze AT.

I would also TD a VW Jetta though I don't know if the OTR would be within your budget.

Hi Thanks alot for your suggestions.  I am really not in a hurry to buy the car, and i have read that chevrolet is redesigning the cruze.Its rear space is really cramped so they are working on it. Also Skoda is launching the new RS which is worth waiting for. I really liked the renault fluence but as it's new , i am just worried for the resale. I don't find it sensible buying the civic because its been here in India for a long time and the New Civic is due which has a aweful design.

Also I expect something exciting to be showcased in the Auto expo 2012. I don't mind waiting if i get something really good. So I am just confused , and yea i can't streth the budget beyond 16 lakhs. Please suggest. It would be of great help!

The new skoda RS will have the same engine only that it will come with body kit and bells and whistles . I would say get the Laura TSI its an absolute joy also nowadays it get discount of upto 1 lakhs in petrol trim level.