Dear Member

Though I am new to member to this forum. I am following this forum from last two years. I am planning to buy new cars. My details requirements are as below. I have shortlisted three cars, Swift VDI, Swift ZXI, Punto. I am working in a copmany which supplies the components to Fiat India Ranjan gaon so know that Fiat Quality very well but AFSS is the issue with Fiat is there. So please guide me deciding which car should I go. right now I am using Alto LX 2007 model.

Whats your Budget - Rs 6.50L

Kms driven monthly - Max 800-1000 kms (Log trip once in a six month about 2000 Km)

Bodyshell - Hatch

City/Highway split - 80:20

Max No.of Passangers - 80% with single driver 20% with 2 Adults & 2 Kids.

Boot space Importance - Medium

Usage by - normal

Ownership - City

Safety - anything

Prime requirement - FE / Resale / AFSS / Look

I presume this is petrol, so here is my opinion:

1. Swift Petrol. Buy this if you want to be a part of the herd. Yes, it is a good car, but everyone has it. IT does have resale value though and will hold out better than anything else. Buy this with your MIND.

2. Fiat Punto. As much as I would LOVE to see another punto being bought, the petrol isnt that great a car. BUT, it does have oodles of soul. And it is the best looking.

What I would buy though, is the JAZZ!! at the new price, it is a steal! A lovely balanced product that looks good and is spacious and lovely to drive. And it is a Honda so mechanically it is bulletproof. although it might not carry its resale as well as the Swift will..

My suggestion: Buy the Jazz. In red please.

Dear Durango Dude

I am little bit confused whether go for Middle version of Swift Diesel of Top Model of Swift Petrol. In budget I am getting any of these car, but consufed. pl suggest.

& CYRUS43
I am thinking of Punto Emotion 1.3 SDE shall i go for diesel Punto or Go for petrol Swift.

I know these are two diff vehicle. By my confusion is shall I look for daily running cost or saving in the initial buying.

Pl. replay

@Sandypune: Stick with petrol. Stretch to get a Jazz Base it's got all the safety features the music system etc, only things missing are the Alloys and driver seat height adjust. If were you, I'd have only one car: Jazz (Base or Select). If you want a Swift get the ZXI don't keep dilly dallying with middle of the road variants, and regret your decision later: with a 6.5L budget it's within reach.

Dear Durango Dude

Any feedback about actual FE of Jazz and Swift Petrol. right now my Alto is giving me 16 KMPL but few times it is very hard mange petrol bills. so I am very much intrested in actual FE. Also I forget to mention that we are having one Swift VDI ABS in our family so when I require any long run I can exchange the same with my brother.

@Sandypune: The Jazz is the most FE hatch in it's class. In the long run the petrol car is more endearing due to lower service costs than diesel, unless you drive 50kms or more daily doesn't make sense going for a diesel.

one of my friend who drives Jazz since 1 years, claims the F.E. of 16 in city and 20 on highway. Even if we discount him for 2 kms, 14 & 18 are respectable figure for petrol car. I would vote for Jazz. All the best.

Yes the current discounts are good enough for the Punto go for the emotion + varient ,it has all the feature one can think about. I would ask you to bargain harder and you can get 70k off on the OTR pricing and also get the RSA and extended warrenty as free when you negotiate . good luck .

Ps- Try to see which colour you like the best . Punto has around 8-10 different colours and lighter colour suits it well.

@sandypune;

I'm also in the same dilemma as yours.

I've already booked New Swift ZDi before its launch, but I'm not satisfied with its performance & feel-good factor from its Post-launch Test Drives.

So, I'm also keen on Fiat Punto 1.3 EP.

Its a much better car to own than its competitiors.

Negotiate as much as you can & go for it.

@DD;

Thanks for guiding for the bargaining level of Punto deal.

If you are looking at good after sales service I would be a little circumspect about the Punto. Being a Punto owner myself I have found a couple of horrible service centres and couple of good ones to. Have a good look at the feedback of the Service centres your city before you decide. Other than the after sales service it is a great car. Great looks, superb ride and handling.

Also, keep in mind they might be launching the face lifted Punto sometime next year.

I would say...there are two types of cars - one that you drive, second that drives you.

In other words: type one is effortful drive, type second is effortless drive and it is found world over that people like effortless cars as it gives more driving pleasure and fun whenever you take it out.

So now, looking at your budget, needs, and run. You will be mostly driving it within a city. In city drive - all round visibility, FE, drive comfort and safety should be the key features to select a car. And when it is Hatch too.

So I would say take Punto, Swift, Jazz, Polo for a TD. You would like to own Polo or Jazz. And in your pocket size, both of them are in reach.

Best of Luck
Sstar2011-10-07 07:10:52

I am in a similar dilemma but I have only 2 choices in mind (Swift ZDI and Jazz Select). Though there is 80k difference between Swift ZDI and Jazz I think I can recover due to swift diesel's low running cost. I did a simple calculation assuming I'm keeping car for 5 years and paying EMI till end of 5th year

Car

Model

Petrol

Diesel

Price (On

Road)

Downpayment

Remaining

EMI

Monthly Run

Mileage

Total Fuel

Consumption

Total Running

Cost

Total Monthly

Expenditure

There is only 860rs difference in my monthly expenditure for my running 1200kms per month

Maintenance will be high in diesel than petrol but resale value of diesel will surpass petrol vehicles. So both will tally.

I own Jazz and it is is giving around 16.5 kmpl in Delhi city traffic conditions.I forced to believe Since it is showing in Digital meter , ARAI has certified its overall FE as 16.8 KMPL.Govt do not have any immediate plan to de control Diesel price.Next October you can find Diesel price as Max Rs.52/Ltr and Petrol price as 85/Litre.Jazz is better product compare to Swift only one problem is its  low ground clearance which is not suitable for pathetic Indian roads. If you compare 3 years running cost Swift will be more cheater considering the rising petrol price.

My Honda City is giving a mileage of 14kmpl and it is driven mostly in office traffic. Also you did not factor in the extra maintenance cost incurred on a diesel car. That shifts the balance towards petrol.

Also, diesel prices are going to be deregulated step by step, sooner or later, because nor the government, nor the companies can sustain such a huge differential when production cost is nearly same.

Dear All

Considering todays market situation I like to play safe and dropped my idea of purchasing new diesel vehicle. Now I am planning to add CNG kit to my 2007 Alto. Can any one give me inputs on the same.