karanmods

dilemma between cruze auto and laura dsg

Hi everyone ,I am looking for a good automatic diesel saloon for myself for about 16 lakhs. I recently visited the Volkswagen showroom in Chandigarh and saw the new Jetta which I was waiting for for over six months .I was disappointed   to see how much it resembles the vento.That was a big let down because I had been waiting so long to buy this car.Now due to this identical look i have taken it out of my list,besides the automatic variant costed almost 19 lakhs on road(totally out of my budget of 16-17 lakhs).Now I needed help on deciding between the two choices that are left with me....The Skoda Laura Ambiente DSG and the Cruze Auto......Now laura is a great car with the DSG ,really responsive its just the downshift that takes a little bit of time....But the ambiente comes with no goodies at all.Not even leather seats.The cruze has all the goodies but I did not enjoy driving the auto Cruze very much(maybe because I could just manage a small round in it)Now my questions:

1. Which car is better in terms of performance and drive ability ?(I have pondered over this for days ultimately I need your advice)

2. When is the new 163 Bhp Cruze arriving?Is its automatic version worth waiting for?

3. If I buy the Laura now will it be replaced soon?

4. Can I get wood interiors for the Laura ambiente as in the elegance and L&K from the market?

Thanks for the help.

I have laura DSG ambiente since almost 2 years now Its been a pure delight.. Great car you won't regret buying. Interiors are exteriors are amazing. I was in the same dilemma as you back then. The laura Ambinte is only 110bhp, not the most powerful but good enough. It puts a smile on my face every time i drive.

1 - Cruze is far faster then the ambiente and elegance. Only the L&K could give it head to head competition - I think the new cruze will be faster that the l&k to. Though Laura RS is out today. The fastest car in its segment. The laura Rs is faster a 25lack car +.. Faster then the A4 to.. You feel me but its petrol. Cruze diesel is the fastest int he segment, But no match against the Laura RS.

2- Not sure, Maybe someone else will answer this, i recently heard a facelift happened, so i doubt there will be more changes till at least 2012.

3- I bought my laura in jan 2010.It was i think about a few months when launched. 2012 laura should be coming but can't say.

4- Yes you can get wooden interiors. That's what i did, Added Leathers seats, Wooden panel and LED lights for all 60k - I could bargain on it as i purchased in December.

The sole reason i did not by the cruze is because its horribly cramped behind.. you pay so much and get space of a maruti 800. I think there have made it better but not sure. If the car is just driven by you then go for the Cruze. My friends owns one and he seems happy with it.

I would recommand you to go in for the Laura DSG Elegance model as it meets your requirement more. The Cruze Auto is about average but the DSG is amazing and once you get a hang of them you will find other automatics dissappointing .

Personally I like the new Jetta but I agree that the Passat Vento and Jetta look too similar for a layman .

Thanks Pranab and rssh for your valuable inputs.And mostly Thanks to Durango Dude..... Sir I went through the link you sent me and was I shocked to see that so many people are dissatisfied with their DSG gear boxes .And not just in India but also in Europe and the UK.

I was very interested in the laura dsg but now I think I shall consider the Cruze automatic.

please some one tell me how is it to drive? Is it a fast and peppy car with a trouble free gearbox?

Also please let me know when is the new 163 bhp version coming out? Thanks again for the inputs.

Cruze's auto box is sure to sap more power and deliver lesser FE than the DSG, but may be more reliable and easier and cost effective to service than the DSG. The Mechatronics of DSG, which is a CPU for the DSG unit, will set you back by a lakh I think and not readily available and takes on an average 25 days to get your car back if you are stranded with a Mechatronics failure.Durango Dude2011-09-03 07:46:33

Note - I haven't faced any problems with the DSG gear box or the skoda service centers, No problems, was satisfied with the customer. You need to buy the car from the right dealer.. JMD is really good.

I wouldn't be that much bothered about the DSG or even Skoda wrt reliability . The Cruze auto is very slow and saps lots of power from the engine . One may not feel that because the 150bhp is itself is an overkill . I would buy the Laura DSG with extended warrenty and road side assistance for peace of mind along with zero depretiation insurance when buying a German car. Just test drive both back to back and you will love the DSG.

I agree with rssh.

No doubt Skoda Laura DSG will give the driving pleasure unmatched by other cars, not even in its segment even across nearby segments too.

Rest Skoda Shield will take care of it in forseeable future.

But if you want real peace of mind, then buy a Honda Civic AT, as it comes with Paddle shifters & the latter will give you the Driving pleasure noneless than a DSG but with the user-friendliness of a conventional AT.

Rest, Couple of lacs saved Initially while purchased can be used later on the Petrol bills, though its very much fuel efficient too.

Read sgiitk's Honda Civic AT thread.
dr_nishu2011-09-05 14:48:33

Hi everyone ,Thanks for the inputs.

@Dr. Nishu,I already have a Honda city automatic,and I did not consider the Civic because the CVT saps a lot of power.Besides I do need a diesel car cause my running is close to 2500 kms a month.Your inputs are greatly appreciated.smiley1.gif

@rsss ,there is no car like the laura DSG.It drives like a dream.Cruze is good too but not as much fun.I had decided on the Laura with the Skoda shield package .Even after the horror stories that I had read.But Then I came across this one person who had written that he escaped a major accident because the Dsg failed while driving at high speed.The whole car go jammed.I just dont know what to do .My hart says Laura but my mind is saying Cruze now   smiley5.gif

I think laura has started 24x7 road service for new skoda owners.

I agree with rshh, Get extended warranty, i think you get 2 years + you can buy 2 more years warranty. After 3-5 yeas you must anyway sell the skoda vehicle.

Also if your love power and speed and willing to sacrifice transmission, then go for Laura petrol - 160BHP!!! and its cheapest out of all. Around 12 lack mumbai, your city will be cheaper. You the rest of the money for petrol bills. Spend a little more Leather seats, Led lights, wooden panel. Also with the remaining ton a budget, you can increase you in car time entertainment. - Get GPS, IPAD2, Better speakers. Petrol laura is extremely silent to.

Why don't new look at Fluence, Civic AT, Yeti, AriaPranab*2011-09-06 07:27:51

Hi Guys,

@Pranab Thanks man ,for the information and suggestions.I test drove the fluence,but did not come out satisfied(not that its a bad car ,it just does not meet my requirement of a powerful car,Arias too big,civics petrol and yeti only comes in manual.I did consider all these cars though.thanks again.

@The Speedman suggestion taken !

For two whole days I have been searching the internet for answers.Now I have come across more than one horror story of accidents about to take place because of mechatronics(DSG) failure.The links can be provided if anyone needs them.

At the same time I found out That the Cruze is not as much fun to drive with its hydramatic torque converter,but its not all that bad.Plus its reliable and has minimal issues.

I have heard the new 163 bhp version is being launched soon in India,When I don't know .If anyone can through more light on this then I will be very grateful.Thanks all.

Regards

Heard Cruze refresh is on cards' date=' with better gear ratios and better back seats, why don't you wait for that?[/quote']

Don't expect the New Cruze to be out by Dec this year or by Feb next year, especially considering the fact that its still going very strong as compared to its rivals & It's that much dated now.

@karanmods;

If you're in a mood to buy the car & that's too in a month or two, then go for either of these you quoted above both are equally good cars with proven Performance & Reliability records.

CRUZE will prove to be less expensive to maintain in long-term as its better Localised & employs less complex electrical & mechanical components whereas Laura is opposite in these.

So decide as per & enjoy the drive.

Firstly I would say that the earlier superb had problem with the DSG box .

All these cars were 80% petrol models which have 7 speed box with difference clutch specification to the one used in the diesel superb and Laura which have only 6 speed box .

I would advice you to see the difference btw 6and 7speed DSG box failures .