AMG1

Maruti 800 (SS80)-1st Generation

Hi Folks,

Just got my hands on a 1985 Maruti SS80 about a month ago; this is how it lookd when I bought it.

20110913_155325_20110913_072736.jpg

I have given the car for denting painting and all other work. Trying to make it as original and clean as possible. I want the final look to be something like this

20110913_155347_20110913_072922.jpg

Right now, the car has completed denting work and a "first-coat" has been put up. This is how it is right now.

20110913_155553_20110913_073129.jpg

Suggestions/Comments welcome folks. AMG12011-09-13 15:56:21

That's a masterpiece AMG, congrats. Was the original color Chocolate? If yes, you should have kept the same.

I had the same car in Red, man that was a complete sports car. Suggestion, if you like spots car sound, tune its exhaust, gives total feel. Handling of the car is superb.
BornFree2011-09-13 07:44:14

This is interesting!

A first gen SS80 is tough to find. Why did you decide to buy one?

Are those rear lights broken? As I can see the plastic on brake lights only, the indicators and rear gear lights are showing silver interior.

I have so many questions in my mind, like

How is the overall condition?

How are all electricals?

How much run?

How much you paid for the deal and all?

How easy will it be to source the parts?

Anyways, I would congratulate you on owning this so called vintage now, and I hope that things go smoothly. The colour you have opted for is nice. The stock brown is also good.Keeping everything stock is a nice idea too. Keep us updated.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

SB Alto's questions

A first gen SS80 is tough to find. Why did you decide to buy one?

I was looking for once since more than a year, saw many but all prices were too high. Finally settled for this one.

Are those rear lights broken? As I can see the plastic on brake lights only, the indicators and rear gear lights are showing silver interior.

Rear light covers were off. They're fixed now but M gng for all new set of tail lamps

How is the overall condition?

Condition is not good as seen in the first pic. Engine and interior was okayish. Less rust on the floor.

How are all electricals?

Electricals worked well. The car was not used for last six months.

How much run?

ODO shows 44k km, mechanic says that matches with the engine condition.

How much you paid for the deal and all?

Check your PM box

How easy will it be to source the parts?

Well I've been able to source the tail lights, now I only need a glovebox lid.

AMG12011-09-13 10:04:47

Final Coat done.

20110913_155027_13092011005.jpg

Now all the cosmetic parts will be fixed and engine tuning work will start.

After that, seats will be put.

Guys, the original seats are almost gone. M planning to either get em made again or put seats from a newer car. Lets see how it goes. AMG12011-09-13 15:50:40

@AMG1 - Congrats!

Regarding seats,If you ask me don't go for seats from other cars instead its better to rebuild the seats to maintain the original look same goes for wheel rim and other trim bits.

GOLF2011-09-13 18:54:47

I see the door handles painted blue as well. If possible paint is black to get the original feel.

Secondly, it would be great to get those chrome back on key holes and the weather bit on the door.

Third, I dont know if I am suggesting something stupid, but how about led lamps for the rear lights covered by the original light covers. Same for the number plate lights. I guess any good electrician can do it.

Last but not the least, search for original hindi Maruti logos. That would help maintain originality.

Keep us updated.

As far as I know.. this model never came with a Hindi monogram.

LED lights I'll have to check. Have ordered a set of new tail lamps which is costing me about 500-600 a pair.

Will play around with the old set, maybe with LED bulbs etc.

Chrome will be back on key holes everywhere.

Bumpers and C-Pillar Trim will be black so will be door handles.

Grill and WHeels will be silver.

There will also be a silver trim below the windows on all four doors. Also have got the orignal silver frame done back on the front glass.

IIRC, this car carries all Made in Japan components barring Tyres & Battery.

You are lucky to have this in hand. Hearty congrats AMG.

Do try to make it look retro where ever possible. Do keep Fiat 500 as your benchmark and work on it.

If possible, black out A & B pillars.

I guess the original tyres were nylon. Have any plans to change them ? Are those 145/70 like current M800?

Are the headlight reflectors ok ? With so much age they tend to loose the silver chrome coating and show brass like colour.

Good proceedings. Happy to see the car in shape.

sb-alto2011-09-17 17:57:05

I used the headlamps only once and they seemed to be quite powerful. Havent had a close look at the reflectors. I think SB308 (THe model after this) has similar headlamps. I'll put those later if needed.

Havent checked the tyres closley. They look okay for now.

Tyres

ICE

A/C are going to be in my Phase II of restoration; that'll hopefully start early next year.

Thanks a tonne for all your comments. Updates coming soon

Hello Friends! I'm sorry, that I'll make little spam here.

My name is Adrian and I'm from Poland. Few months ago I bought Alto SS80. I fall in love-this car is wonderful smiley1.gif

During searching the internet, I found information that in India you have a lot of this generation Alto. I suspect, that you have new spare parts. Am I right smiley17.gif

I need new rear lamps and few other things.

Where must I look to find interrested parts?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.For the author of this topic - Wonderful job mate, I like it

Here is blog of my car, unfortunately in polish but you can use Google Translate if you are curious ;)

http://projektaltoss80.blogspot.com/

UPdate on my SS80

Brought more parts today

Glove box lid; got one from scrapyard for 100 bux. Cheap but very important for my car.

Door beadings; mudflaps, inside lock bezels, bonnet button, mirros (look similar to orignal)

Now trying to source the orignal Maruti 800 monogram for front and rear.

Also, If anyone is looking for an SS80 grille, a guy i know has one. He wants to sell it for 800 bucks which aint bad. I visited Kurla CST road and that's the only place I could find parts for this car.

PM me if anyone wants that grill.

Looks good :) More than good! Excellent job mate, I like it, and I hope I can do something similar with my car ;)

One question: What you have done with the rear suspension? Rear of the car is higher than front. I need do something similar in my car, because I have problem with knocking hanger of the leaf spring.Durango Dude2011-10-02 11:58:56

The first owner has put "Double-Pata" at the rear as he had some big woofer fixed in the trunk which according to him was heavy.. lol. Now there'z no woofer so the rear of the car goes up and its quite stiff too! I am planning to remove the second Pata and make it stock again.