melvinpereira

What Diesel Car to buy?

Dear Sir,

I am planning to buy a new car this year, which diesel car would you recommend - Ford Fiesta or Ford Fusion or Hyundai Verna or the Skoda Fabia or any new diesel car coming out this year? My order of choosing a car would be - Fuel Economy, Resale value, Performance, Ground clearance, good boot, spacious interiors, value for money. Why is the Ford Fusion not so popular even though it has now the diesel engine - it seems a excellent vehicle given Indian road conditions and practical needs? Also, when is the new Toyota Corolla (diesel) coming out and what would you think it would cost? My wife and I travel a lot in the city and do about 3 to 4 out of Goa road trips in the country within a year, so please recommend a car keeping this in mind?

Thank you and looking forward to an early reply.

Melvin Pereira, Goa.

I would vote for the Fabia. However, wait for it to be in the marketplace for about three months for the minor gremlins which shall almost certainly show up to be sorted out.

The Swift Saloon can be another viable option. Since the platform is proven, I will not advise you to wait either . That is only if you can live with the shape.   

Fuel Efficiency: fiesta

resale value, spacious interiors & performance: verna

however, handling of d fiesta is better.

d ford fusion doesnt sell maybe cos ppl havent accepted its looks.

i dont thnk d fabia is a good choice. yup, its a damn gud car, very spacious, fuel efficient n loaded with features but paying 6-7 lakhs 4 a hatchback is a lil too much. in india, hatchbacks r generally classified as small cheap cars n saloons hav more of a prestige value n status. if u can adjust with this factor, then go 4 d fabia.

Out of the cars given, the Hyundai Verna suits your requirements the best. It is spacious, spares are decently priced, performance is pretty good too. Being a diesel hyundai, it should fetch you good value later.

The Fusion is a brilliant vehicle, but the high cost of spares are the main drawback. Read our parts survey in the Jan 08 issue of Autocar for more information.

FRG

Due to Ford's expensive service less people opt for Fusion Verna is good buy it with 4 wheel discs .Wait for a month and see the Fabia after reading shootout from magzines .Also one thing more Fabia is beaten by Swift in other countries.

the Verna is the hot deisel car in its segment and would advice you to go in for the verna d anyday rather than the fiesta and fabia , if you can stretch your busget try the optra magnum diesel

Regards,

priya

My choice would be for Verna, the engine is quite peppy and its a pleasure to drive. The Fusion is built much lightly and the Verna will hold up better over the long run as well.

Fuel Efficiency: fiesta

resale value' date=' spacious interiors & performance: verna

however, handling of d fiesta is better.

d ford fusion doesnt sell maybe cos ppl havent accepted its looks.

i dont thnk d fabia is a good choice. yup, its a damn gud car, very spacious, fuel efficient n loaded with features but paying 6-7 lakhs 4 a hatchback is a lil too much. in india, hatchbacks r generally classified as small cheap cars n saloons hav more of a prestige value n status. if u can adjust with this factor, then go 4 d fabia.
[/quote']

I often see this comment everywhere that people consider hatchbacks as cheap small cars. Then how come Innova is selling so well? It should have good space and decent boot space, which Fabia, Jazz, Punto, i30 (though Hyundai might convert to saloon for India) will have among the shorter versions.

verna would the best choice as it has a 1.5ltrs 4 cylinder diesel engine good ground clearence of 170mm and loaded with decent features.... and it's comfortable too.... and it's an upgration to already proven model accent crdi... go for it