Leshy

buying an SUV under 20 lacs help

hi guys i am new to the forum i am going to buy a suv and my budget is 20 lacs i have short listed the following need your advise
1. tata aria 4x4
2. xuv 500 w8 AWD
3. Yeti
4. new captiva

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-10-29 15:38:21

I suggest the Captiva becuase you can not book a XUV500 now.  If you are not in a hurry (and if Mahindra's open the bookings again), then book and wait for your turn to get a XUV500.  With the balance amount, keep a Bank FD for about 4 lakhs to take care of the recurring fuel charges and spend the rest of savings on throwing a big bash to all of us.  If not others, at least, I will come from Tirupati which is close to Chennai.  Just joking dear.  Welcome to the forum.  Post XUV500 environment, Aria appears very costly.  Yeti looks small.  That leaves only two of them, Captiva and XUV500.  Do a TD for both.  And, decide.  All the best.

@Leshy,

We would like to know more on your NEEDS and How long you can wait part to suggest better.

If you want a proper off-roader, you can consider a Endy.

And the upcoming SUVs are Tata Merlin , Duster & Ford EcoSport. Since you consider Yeti, you can wait for Duster too.

Merlin remains a secret. Since you have 500 in your list, I understand you can wait for more than 6 months, so you can have a look at Merlin too.

Hi,

I would ask you the same :

Please provide little more details in order to get a precise shortlist.

Anyways, from the given options, you could very well wait for the upcoming Captiva, new Ford slated to be coming soon, or even the established players like Mitsubishi's Outlander or the latest koleos.

actually i can wait till january or feb max i am prepared to shell out a lac or 2 more if the new captiva is really good and as per rahu`s post my requirements are a POWERFUL 4X4 OFFROADER should be minimum 140 bhp and should have lot of torque

hi guys i am new to the forum i am going to buy a suv and

my budget is 20 lacs i have short listed the following need your advise

1. tata aria 4x4

2. xuv 500 w8 AWD

3. Yeti

4. new captiva

my requirements are a POWERFUL 4X4 OFFROADER 

None of the SUVs you have mentioned are proper Off-Roaders. IMHO, you should seriously consider Endy followed by Merlin. Both might fall short of your torque requirement, but they are true OFFROADERS.

OMG! LOL just reading the ditch thing . So anyways were you flying the ARIA in the test ride that the magical ride made you think that a ditch is nothing but a big pot hole .

Anyways I hope you are fine along the the SE ,also who bore the cost of removing and repairing the car? 

@Lashy;

With taking inference from what you're needing & where this thread is proceeding I'd advice you to go for Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5.

It'll never let you down in any of the Off-road scenery, which you might be dreaming anyday.

But If you want the blend of both Good Off & On-Roaders then No one comes close to TATA Safari 2.2 VTT DiCOR.

Heard that its TATA is going to make 4x4 standard in all of its variants, very soon.

Rest the cars which you've quoted above are mostly the Soft roaders, as;

-Most of external extremeties construction in of fibreglass/plastic panels.

-Their front & rear bumper are too low for Off-roading.

-Their Ground clearances are also on the lower side.

All these factors make them better suited to the On-road usage only.

i took a TD of the aria and crashed it lol it got stuck in a 2 feet deep ditch

You really did that?? I think the dealers will black list your name and not give you a TD at all. Was that intentional or an accident. I think you will do "best" with a short wheelbase version of the Thar, nothing else for 'Leshy" to get of some 'sticky' situations.

@ durango dude i didnt do it wantedly lol i told the sales exec that it wont go through that hole he said it will go because its a "TATA ARIA" LOL so i went it got caught he told me to pay 1500 bux for tow charges i said no and walked off because its his mistake btw... i am seriously looking at the endavour 4x4 AT hurricane

can anyone specify whats different in the hurricane LIMITED EDITION

i am seriously looking at the endavour 4x4 AT hurricane

can anyone specify whats different in the hurricane LIMITED EDITION

Check it out at; Ford Endeavour Hurricane

But be sure of the fact before purchasing it that, Ford Endeavour is never meant for Serious Off-Roading.

No doubt its Approach angle, Wading depth & Depart angle are high but it suffers from its relatively longer Wheelbase, which is the only weak link in its 4x4 capabilities.

Instead Toyota Fortuner is relatively better in Off-roading capabilities but it suffers from its Poor Braking.

The best anywhere Off-roaders are;

Mitsubishi Pajero.

Mahindra Thar/Scorpio.

Maruti Gypsy.

Tata Safari 4x4.

Toyota Fortuner.

Ford Endeavour 4x4.

+1 or even 10 to Dr Nishu,why?The reasons are as follows:-

1)At one place the name comes 'Off-roader' and on the other place the king of all 'Mitsubishi Pajero' is missing.

@Leshy:Only 140 bhp can't do off-roading(same way like Audi A8 with quattro can't).

2)Ride and handling both favour Pajero.

3)Its slightly above 20 lacs but these safari/XUV/Fortuner/Endy things cannever ever catch it up once it gets off-road.

4)If you can wait for XUV then why not wait for the unveiling of the new Pajero at the auto expo?

5)If you need the SUV for mild off-roading,are happy with compact dimensions and five seats,need a dose of power and luxury too and want it to perform and deliver FE like a car then look nowhere else and get a Yeti for you.

Well, from your thread, I only want to ask you one simple question. Do you want something luxurious and for city and highway use or do you want something basic and tough??

If your answer is the first option, and you don't mind the Tata BRand, The Aria is unbeliavably comfortable as a cruiser and it looks decent too. BUT, it is trumped by the XUV. If you don't mind waiting, WAIT for the XUV. It is an all rounder for sure.

And of course, if you don't mind 5 seats, the YETI is the one for you. If you can stretch a little bit more, Get the BMW X1. Trust me, you will never regret it!!!

If you want a hardcore off roader though, the Thar seems to be the only logical solution for you, unless of course Tata launches the Defender soon, but that will never meet the price advantage of a Thar. It will probably be launched at plus 20lakh from what we hear.

So it is your call at the end. If it was my choice, I would wait till I had a bit more dough and buy the X1... CYRUS432011-10-31 12:54:12

hey guys i went for a offroading trip with some friends we took

2x endavour 4x4 (one the old manual and the other automatic)

pajero

fortuner

land cruiser v8

i tried all the cars out and i liked the endavour very much (automatic) it also had a spider tuneing box and also a ironman suspension kit

will upload the pics soon