Carish

New Fabia or New Swift?

Im in a fix between Skoda Fabia Active plus(diesel offcourse) and Swift VDi.

Priorities:

For a family of 5, we need good space.

Q. Is the new swift substantially more spacious than the older one?

2. Cheap spares.

Q. Are Skoda spares/services very expensive/poor?(Would prefer an answer with personal experience).

3. Per fuel litre mileage

Q. Rough estimates?

This may be a weird comparison, but im confused between heart and brain's decision. :D

Will spending 6lakhs on Skoda car be worth their after sales services?

Please help me out.

Thanx in advance. :)

1. space: More or the less the same. But Fabia is slightly better. But swift has the best front seats.

2. Cheap spares: Swift wins by a large margin. Expect the spare parts price of Fabia to be even higher than a Maruti SX4(Way higher)!! Skoda's ASS is nothing to write home about as well.

3. Mileage: Swift wins.

If we go only by the above three points, Swift wins, since the luggage space does not seems to be a big concern for you! Additionally, the swift is ahead of Fabia in areas like handling, engine performance, refinement, features etc.

Oh! Wait a second!! If space for 5 is the major priority, why don't you try out the Toyota Liva diesel? You will miss the refinement and premium feel of the above two cars. But it ticks all the three points you have mentioned. Toyota maintenance cost is expected to be way lesser than a Skoda, thought not as low as a swift! Their ASS is also said to be pretty good.

Swift is better product compare to Fabia considering the Engine,Low ownership cost,maintanance,Resale value etc.Fabia has Tank like Build quality and more space than Swift.

So better to stick with Swift in case you need car only after 6-8 months.

I enquired 5minutes before from Coral Motors(Bareilly). The lady there informed me they don't have any stock of Swift at all. Minimum waiting period is 5months or more.

We had a plan to get car delivered on 1st of Jan. :(

1. space: More or the less the same. But Fabia is slightly better. But swift has the best front seats.

2. Cheap spares: Swift wins by a large margin. Expect the spare parts price of Fabia to be even higher than a Maruti SX4(Way higher)!! Skoda's ASS is nothing to write home about as well.

3. Mileage: Swift wins.

If we go only by the above three points' date=' Swift wins, since the luggage space does not seems to be a big concern for you! Additionally, the swift is ahead of Fabia in areas like handling, engine performance, refinement, features etc.

Oh! Wait a second!! If space for 5 is the major priority, why don't you try out the Toyota Liva diesel? You will miss the refinement and premium feel of the above two cars. But it ticks all the three points you have mentioned. Toyota maintenance cost is expected to be way lesser than a Skoda, thought not as low as a swift! Their ASS is also said to be pretty good.[/quote']

1St of all thanx for such nice reply. Liva is a not so good looking car. I had Jazz allover my mind but petrol prices are disturbing for a long term ownership plan.

Swift is milesahead of Fabia in more than one factor, so thats my choice.

Do search for newly set up dealer, who will deliver New Swift D in few months time. If you are in Chennai, I can help you for early deliveries by directing to new dealerships.

Swift is milesahead of Fabia in more than one factor' date=' so thats my choice.

?

Do search for newly set up dealer, who will deliver New Swift D in few months time. If you are in Chennai, I can help you for early deliveries by directing to new dealerships.
[/quote']

Thank you Sir... By the way Im more than 2000kms away from Chennai smiley11.gif

The service interval is also important when considering cost of maintenance.

Swift Vdi has service interval of 5000km

Where as toyota and skoda has interval of 10,000km .

I guess Each service for Swift should cost around Rs 2500 atleast and for Toyota it should be around Rs3500 and skoda would be Rs7000

Hence if Swift runs for 10,000km cost of service alone is Rs5000/-

The cost of service is just a guess and may be wrong. Kindly provide correct cost of service as per your experience.

Give the Etios Liva diesel a try,a adequate power, Toyota, huge space and should give good mileage and should be available off the shelf and with discounts thrown in for the festive season as it's not selling as well as expected. Of late I'm seeing a lot of Fabia's on the roads, with deals and festive offers, yes Skoda ASS is always a damocles sword but has the feel good factor. Swift has a huge wait list and due to Maruti's "labor" pains gestation/delivery may be really long drawn for the one who books it now.Durango Dude2011-10-20 07:12:00

Give the Etios Liva diesel a try' date='a adequate power, Toyota, huge space and should give good mileage and should be available off the shelf and with discounts thrown in for the festive season as it's not selling as well as expected.[/quote']

Add superb ride and more than acceptable handling to this package.

IMHO, Etios ticks everybox a car needs sans looks.

For good space and overall family car the Fabia package is hard to beat . If you are alright with the engine performance then this is the one to go for . Also Skoda has AMC and you need to pay some 35k while buying and the car will get the service for 4 years . Also Skoda needs service after every 15k kms and not 10k . Also opt for extended warrenty while buying a German cars you never know when it can be handy.

For good space and overall family car the Fabia package is hard to beat . If you are alright with the engine performance then this is the one to go for . Also Skoda has AMC and you need to pay some 35k while buying and the car will get the service for 4 years . Also Skoda needs service after every 15k kms and not 10k . Also opt for extended warrenty while buying a German cars you never know when it can be handy.

Noted! Thank you so much for the info. smiley4.gif

@Carish:

Now experience a Skoda with a Skoda owner,in fact a happy Skoda owner who is me.

Firstly,let me tell you that all these facts that Skoda A.S.S. is extremely expensive is nothing more than a lame rumor of some people who have never experienced the Skoda,yes this is true for a year back or two but now,there is simply nothing like that.Now a days Skoda spares are really available at even half the price they used to be and the fact that a Fabia costs even more then a SX4 to maintain is simply unbelievable to me.

Let me tell you as well as my other forum mates that I am recently driving a Skoda Laura TSI and have recently crossed the 35k mark and what maintainanace my car had till now is as follows:-

One accident which resulted in some body parts replacement and servicing charges,till today the car hasn't demanded even a single visit to the service station except routine services and I am yet to see any other crying Skoda owner...SO HOW CAN I BELIEVE ALL THOSE RUMORS??I OWN A SKODA AND WE ARE SO HAPPY WITH THE CAR THAT WE HAVE ALREADY PLANNED A SUPERB TO BE OUR NEXT CAR,NOTHING ELSE.

Now coming back to the main topic:

Well,Swift is overall a better product as it offers  BETTER BALANCE OF POWER+PERFORMANCE+COMFORT+PEACE OF MIND AND SPORTINESS.

Rest if you want true comfort and are keen about overall product quality then Fabia is far better.

With Fabia you will have to shell out some extra cash at the time of buying as well as in services too(but not at all as much as people say)but considering everything I'd go for Swift.And yes,ABS and airbags are an investment and they are a must.

Liva is another good choice and is really worth considering,if you can be happy with it then go for it with closed eyes.

@Goenkakushal:

About Swift I don't know but what i know is that liva does not cost more than 2.5-3k in servicing while the Fabia's service costs just 4.5-5.5k max and as its done every 10k kms so its really a low cost affair considering a Skoda car and if there is any spares replacement then it may cost higher,but same is for other cars too.

TSiVipul2011-10-20 15:31:38

For maintenance concerned people that 3 years/45k kms maintenance scheme is the best,see Skoda is now providing you the choice to select according to your needs,so now the Fabia is getting more points but still swift has the edge considering the performance and the fun factor,but practicality is saying only Fabia.

For maintenance concerned people that 3 years/45k kms maintenance scheme is the best' date='[/quote'] That's why i bought 4 year maintenance package and 2+2 year extended warranty package for my Polo.

At the time I bought my Laura what I got was Skoda shield for me as that time it felt best for me,also considering our heavy running this 3 years/45k kms scheme is useless for us too as my Laura has already done 35k kms in 8 months and will be completing 45k within next two months so I need shield and its really protective too.

Im in a fix between Skoda Fabia Active plus(diesel offcourse) and Swift VDi.

Priorities:

For a family of 5' date=' we need good space.

Q. Is the new swift substantially more spacious than the older one?

2. Cheap spares.

Q. Are Skoda spares/services very expensive/poor?(Would prefer an answer with personal experience).

3. Per fuel litre mileage

Q. Rough estimates?

This may be a weird comparison, but im confused between heart and brain's decision. :D[/quote']

Skoda Fabia is a better deal over Maruti Swift VDi as;

-Build Quality & Suspension of Fabia is better.

-Better brakes in Fabia, whereas New Swift LDi/VDi variants are already complained of poor brakes.

-Better Interiors & better equipment levels.

-Better Comfort, Brand value & status associated with Skoda.