ashikawa

Want to buy a car? Get parking space first

Want to buy a car? Get parking space first

Parking space first, registration later. Yes, it is the future if the Centre accepts changes suggested in the Sunder Committee report on the review of the Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.

Chapter three of the report has several suggestions regarding the "Registration of Motor Vehicles". The committee has proposed to make it mandatory for every car owner to furnish proof of parking space at the regional transport office (RTO), failing which his/her car will not be registered.

The Maharashtra government, already beset with problems of parking space in all major cities (especially Mumbai, Thane and Navi Mumbai) is all for such a change. Transport department officials from all the states recently met in Delhi to discuss the committee's report with representatives from the Union ministry of road transport and highways.

VN More, Maharashtra transport commissioner, said the government wants this clause to be incorporated in the motor vehicles act. More, who was at the meeting in New Delhi, said this would go a long way in solving the city's parking problem. "Roads are meant for the movement of cars and not for illegally parking cars," More said.

"Cars parked illegally on roads make it difficult for other cars to move freely. In a space-starved city like Mumbai, we should make optimum use of roads."

Sikkim has already implemented such a policy and Karnataka is mulling to do it. Once the Centre accepts the changes, all the states will have to follow the mandatory parking space policy.

Source: dailybhaskar

What the hell?

I mean if a person will now have to buy a house for himself/herself to buy a car and what about those who live on rent and share the house with the owner and park their cars on roads?

Will people have to mention their porch sizes too according to the size of the car they are buying?

I like this proposal very much.

I totally agree to the fact that the public breathing space should not be wasted in the name of parking space.

In Chennai, all parks are tightly packed as parking lots for those who doesn't have parking space. I want to see the roads as roads and not as a big parking lot. Some people park their cars in street such that it blocks other people way.

This would open up "Renting Parking Space", which will become good business as well as make my city look 1000 times better.

"Renting parking space",this deal sounds good,now I think government must imply this policy just today(I think at least 70 cars can be parked in a space where 17 trucks are parked..smiley36.gif).

But still out of all those rules breakers here in India how many will follow this rule,what I feel is that now RTOs will become even richer as their people will demand some cash from buyers on the name of passing their car's registration number.

But still out of all those rules breakers here in India how many will follow this rule' date='what I feel is that now RTOs will become even richer as their people will demand some cash from buyers on the name of passing their car's registration number.

[/quote']

Govt should fix surveillance camera at every probable "Roadside parking lot" and should tow the car if parked more than 2-3hrs and the fine should be exorbitantly high.