creativebala

Should Govt relax Helmetless fine in Peak Hours?

This may sound stupid as I am saying no to wear Helmet in peak traffic, but the reality in Peak traffic atleast here in Chennai is, most people drive with their helmet on tank, which makes the drivers shake the bike unnecessary for balancing the Helmet on tank.

Between 8AM-10AM & 6.30-8.30PM, the traffic in our main connecting roads makes driving possible at just 5-10KMPH. So when they wear helmet, they will sweat out badly, so fearing cops, the bikers do the following here,

1. Ride with Helmet on Tank( difficult to balance )

2. Hanging Helmet in handle bar, again makes one lose balance easily

3. Keep the helmet in pillion riders hand, in this case, the helmet brushes fellow bikers.

I agree Helmet saves life, but in peak/ dead slow traffic, it should not create accident by not wearing it but having it.

@Creativebala:

Those people who hang their helmets on their handlebars or RVMs or put it on the tank are the ones who know that the tank or handlebar or the pillion rider's hand is more costly/priceless than their brain which is ment to be protected by the helmet.

In my views now police must also make such people stop for at least 15 minutes if they are caught and then cut their challans this will help in two ways:-

1)Make them late for their work so they will be more careful from next time.

2)A hole in the pocket always looks bad.

@TSI

What I mean to say here is, Why Helmet when one rides at just 5-10kmph?

At low speed, the need to balance bike itself is high, so if a person needs to put extra effort to take care of helmet, I dont see the point.

If a person wears it, its BEST, but if he doesn't want to, let him put it in Helmet lock behind and drive it without fearing cops, instead of keeping it in tank or handlebar.

I know what you are talking about Bala. Not just sweat but the helmet itself accumulates lotta dirt. Ok jokes aside, the idea that helmet need not be worn during 5-10 Kms speed is not feasible. Majority of bikers are not quick enough to wear the helmet once the traffic moves on to a higher speed.

An accident can occur at low or high speed right. So if im at a red light w/o my helmet cause it's hot, and if our share autos plunge into the bike rider he is asking for it. The rider will injured if he/she takes a fall to the head and then blamed by cops and family because of not wearing helmet.vr.462011-10-22 10:50:58

This situation is not realistic anyone caught at the intersection of peak and non peak time will be frustrated because the cops will have their watch 10 mins early and the offenders 10 mins late so a difference of 20 mins can cause argument which are alreay aplenty in India.

A rule is a rule , even for a fool..

We all know this very well..

Its not how fast one is traveling that is important.. Its where the impact is going to be if he happens to fall..

I know of a man who was walking on the road, slipped fell and hit his head , was in coma for nearly 3 months then perished.

So the point is not about speed. If there is slight mishap in losing balance(We all know how well Indians drive) it could be futile.

"PLEASE WEAR HELMETS ALWAYS"

I am not against Helmet, but against those morons who keep helmets on the tank or RVM and shaking the vehicle violently in the name of balancing and brushing other vehicles.

For no mistake of theirs, many car users gets dent or scratch on their car.

What could be the solution for this? Half face helmet?

ya, I use a helmet that lets me uncover the face but still cover my head..but its a bit pricey and helmets in our cities are only used coz of law and not because people see it as a safety measure..come to Bangalore you can see people riding bikes on pavement...i feel no rules can help stop morons. 

I am not against Helmet' date=' but against those morons who keep helmets on the tank or RVM and shaking the vehicle violently in the name of balancing and brushing other vehicles.For no mistake of theirs, many car users gets dent or scratch on their car.What could be the solution for this? Half face helmet?[/quote']

Solution is fine for riding without helmet. Mobile courts of traffic police in chennai look out for this specific mistake at Koyambedu junction every weekend. Any rider who "balances" with his life on a bike should keep getting fined. It may not be easy, but a day would come when it's pointless not wearing a helmet.

As I have already mentioned before,a helmet on two wheelers and seat belts on four wheelers are a must whatever your speed may be.

In fact,once you can allow four wheeler users to remove seat belts while going below 15 kph but for bikers,helmet must be mandatory for even 1 kph.I have once seen a person getting a head injury(okay,I saw him injured not the incident)while riding his bike with his wife in dense traffic at about 3-4 kph and suddenly he lost the balance or maybe his foot slipped and he banged his head hard on the divider.If he would have used the helmet then at least he would not have got a serious injury.

REST IF THERE IS ANY DOCTOR THEN HE/SHE CAN TELL US HOW DANGEROUS EVEN MINOR HEAD INJURIES CAN BE.

I met with an accident last year, where i was wearing a helmet and stopped by bike by seeing a Scorpio coming rashly (drunken drive as confirmed by police). Still he came and dashed and went away. As a result, i had 8 fractures in my lower jaw alone. In this case, my helmet only saved my life, doctors clearly said that, if i was not wearing helmet i would have died. What will you do in this case, i stopped the bike, so my speed will be obviously "0".

There are many ***** who drive after drinking, so its always safe to wear the helmets even when your are not riding above 10kmph