Apple1582

Query on repainting the Maruti 800.

Hi folks

I am planning to repaint my 98 model Maruti 8oo... i would like to know a few things on clear coat

1) can it apply d clear coat after repainting my car... wont be using metallic color

2) is it expensive

3) are there different types of clear coats available

4) is the process more complicated than applying normal paint & any suggestions on the above

@Apple1582:

Welcome to the forum !! Please go through the announcement section once to clear all posting doubts.

1. Please do not use sms lingo on the forum. Like "d" instead of "the"

2. And do not type  "...like...this..."

Back to your question:

1. Clear coat is generally applied after paint.(base coat)

2. depends on brand of clear coat. There are cheaper clear coats as well.

3. Automotive clear coat is different.

4. Applied just after the second base coat dries. But high caution needs to be taken to paint it, too thick is as bad as too thin. You need a complete dust free paint area as well. Prefer a closed paint booth.

Wash your car with shampoo after the base coat dries. Let the car air dry. With a new silk or smooth cotton cloth remove all dust. Apply 2 to 3 coats of clear coat. Do not wash the car for 7 days after applying clear coat. Use a buffing machine to buff the car the day after clear coating.

sb-alto2011-10-22 15:11:29

Go to a reputable body shop that has and uses the paint booth.  Use the original color.  Be sure that all the trim is removed to ensure a complete job or the paint will peel at the edges.  Don't wash the car with shampoo.  Some vehicles were still using acrylics back in 98 and new cars use a much improved coating so be sure to use a compatible paint. Try your best not to paint the car until the hot season.  If you insist on using wax, don't wax for six months.

On the other hand...just have it detailed, buffed, rubbed out and sealed.  A lot cheaper, and economically speaking, a 98 is already passed its investment value.

1. Some of the preferred brands are, Deltron, Bilux, Aspa, Enza and 2K autocolour. All these provide base coats as well as clear coats. There are local indian companies as well, like Berger and Nerolac and comes a bit cheaper. The above mentioned brands are also available at some big Asian Paints distributors.

2. If you go to MASS, they will provide their own colour. Plus rates may be higher than standard. Try checking local workshops having paint booth for quotes.

3. A photo of the car should be nice

1)Among these - Deltron, Bilux, Aspa, Enza and 2K autocolour which one gives a high gloss finish and how expensive will it be?

2) I found something like standox platinum laquer clear coat in Team bhp forum your take on that and will upload a pic of my car soon

Brands like deltron, Dupont, 2K and Sikkens cost in the range of Rs3000-4000/litre. Deltron, dupont and 2K are popular while Sikkens provide a lot more shine.

Standox is costly. If you want to spend so much for a M800 paint, go for it. Prices will be about Rs5500/litre.

BTW, at the end of the day, all depends on the skill of the painter. So get a decent reliable place too.

+1 to Sb-Alto,although I have never got any of my cars painted till date but still I prefer only authorised workshops or the best/largest or most skilled one workshop for the work to be carried out.

About pain you don't need to worry Apple guy,just go to those people and rest they will do themselves.