stackoverflow

should I buy a 2003 sonata V6

Hello,

Somebody is selling a 2003 sonata v6 for abt 4 lacs, 53k kms done, good condition. I feel the price is high. But I heard that initial sonata's had various issues.

Can somebody please help me resolve following doubts?
- should I even think of buyiing this?
- What are the problems seen with sonata cars introduced in 2002-2004 time frame?
- I feel that the mileage will not be more than 8, any clues
- what the problems I may encounter in future with this car if I buy this?

Thread moved.
BornFree2011-10-29 15:40:30

4 lacs ? Dude these cars are a pick  for anything between 1lac - 1.30lacs. No dealer would even invest on this car, that really shows what it is worth.

mileage in city bumper- bumper traffic would be around 4 kmpl.

problem you would encounter will be Low FE, availability of spares and resale.

4 lacs ? Dude these cars are a pick  for anything between 1lac - 1.30lacs. No dealer would even invest on this car' date=' that really shows what it is worth.

mileage in city bumper- bumper traffic would be around 4 kmpl.

problem you would encounter will be Low FE, availability of spares and resale.

[/quote']

thanks for the information.

I need to verify the details abt spares.

The owner told me that he gets 8.5 kmpl mileage.

How is sonata V6 for performance, maintenace, ride quality? Any other issues with the V6?

We have had a few Hyundai V6 in my family, there are reliable. I will create a topic for one of them soon. But there are many displacement : what's the V6 engine of the 2003 Sonata : 2.5/2.7/3.0 or 3.3L?

An important point is the automatic gearbox, check that there are no anomalies or jolts and try all speeds. And think about draining the gearbox if it was ever made.

The fuel economy is low but the comfort of the V6 is very good smiley2.gifguiguiswiss2011-10-23 12:26:57

Go and get a new Eon for that price. If you are so attracted by the Jaguarish Looks, consider it, but still 4L is so much. You can get a old Corolla for that kind of money. Sonata wont deserve anything more than 2L.

BTW, is it a H-Matic V6?

Owner told me that he gets 8.5 kmpl in the city' date=' I am not sure. I will also verify the spare details.

[/quote']

Even the high tech Accord V6 wont deliver such FE figures.

creativebala2011-10-23 12:47:44

Hello all,

thanks for the reply. This is a 2.7 L v6. He says that it has automatic transmission with manual override. I need to check if it is H-Matic. I only plan to drive it over the weekend or for long rides. How much mileage can I expect over highway?

Negative. I would not suggest a Sonata V6. For around 6-7L you can get a decent Accord/Superb V6. If you want a V6, search for Accords. Moreover 4L is just too much. 2L or a bit less is fine.

Expect around 5-6kmpl in city and around 8-9kmpl on highways.

An 8-year old obsolete model. Even digital mileage reading can be tampered with. Condition is/seems good because the owner is going to sell it. Mileage will be below 6 since it is an automatic. Looking back from today, it rather looks like a Chinese clone of a C-class. You will face huge problems with price & availability of spares.

Just made a search and found something. See by how much your seller's car is overpriced.

http://www.carwale.com/used/cardetails-car-d298534.html

@Stackoverflow: My Elantra 1.8 doesn't give 8.5 kmpl city mileage. I think the mileage is 4 kmpl and below as Sarabjeet has said. This is one car that you can do without. Don't buy it even if given free; 4L: the owner is trying to rip you off. Beware.

4 lakhs is a hopeless price to ask for a low FE petrol car in current market trend . I won't even buy a 2005 Accord for 4 lakhs (v6) . The FE is below 5kpl always as read in some owner reviews  and goes down to 3kpl with spirited driving . The car has its looks but spares can be a problem . If I were to buy this car then I will put in a 1.8lt Corolla engine with MT gearbox .

The 2.7L? Nice I am very familiar with this engine! I have the same in the 2005 Tucson V6 of my godmother. It is a 175 hp V6 very quiet and pleasant, the box is 4-speed automatic with manual mode, the gearbox is rather slow.

My average fuel consumption with this engine was 13.2 liters/100 km (about 7.6km/L) but it was a 4-wheel drive with a lot of city driving. The Sonata must be about 11 or 12 liters per 100km.

The pieces are in fact very simple to find and very inexpensive, it's the advantage of a "world car" : for example there are the website www.rockauto.com that sends around the world. they are very serious!

I think it's not a bad deal if the price is interesting and the history is known. It doesn't have a lot of km, maintenance is known?

Hello' date='Somebody is selling a 2003 sonata v6 for abt 4 lacs, 53k kms done, good condition. I feel the price is high.

[/quote']

Simply avoid it..

Instead if you wanna used Luxury car only, then go for Honda Accord 2.4.

you can easily come across the last-gen(with sharp headlamps & Sonata Embera-like tail-lamps) Accord 2.4 upto Rs.4-lacs & that's too in a very good condition.

One of my friend've bought the Genuinely 45k kms driven Black shade Honda Accord 2.4 AT 2-years back at Rs.5.80 lacs only.

Now as Petrol prices have taken a sharp steep, you can easily come across one even much more cheaper.

Even yesterday, I've came across mere 2-yrs Old White colour Honda CR-V at asking price of Rs.10 lacs only & its Invoice was showing 20 lacs+ ex-showroom price.

Firstly,4 lacs is a bit too much for such a car which is out of production from years,spare parts availability is more than a serious issue and FE can never reach even the 10 mark while driving on highways with a gentle foot.

In my views,if you have the appetite for raw performance+decent comfort+decent FE+reliability+solid built+driving pleasure and you want it at a comparatively low cost then the best choice available in the market in my views is a SKODA LAURA TSI,the reasons are as follows:-

1)It has an Accord/Superb V6 rivaling performance.

2)Agility and power combo is far better than anything else,what it needs is just POINT AND SHOOT attitude.

3)Even with such a blasting performance it always delivers 8+ kpl in city and 14+ on highways while if you drive it over-enthusiastically even then it delivers 6-8 in city and 11-13 on highways.

4)Comfort is really great at least its far more comfortable to drive as well as travel than a Sonata(my personal feeling and experience).

5)Ride is also great and the solid build seems to last for centuries.

6)SINCE IT HAS A BAD RESALE VALUE SO YOU CAN GET A GOOD DEAL FOR 4-6 LACS IF SEARCHED.TSiVipul2011-10-25 07:37:00