Harsh*t.Gupta99

Looking for sedan below 10 lakh preferabl

I think you should wait for Skoda Rapid which is going on sale in November.

Rapid is based on the VW Vento platform and has the same engines and other things and should be priced below Vento.

@Harsh:

Since you reside in Dehradun that means your car will be making a lot of hilly trips too and there are some really bad roads too available nearby(considering Roorkee-Muzaffarnagar or saharanpur-Muzaffarnagar stretch especially).There is availability of sales and spares of everyone too(I think Oberoi for Skoda and one Chevrolet too)now considering everything,these are my views:-

Hyundai Verna,if you want nothing else except a front styling(I hate that back of Verna)and some power on paper(because it does never behaves like it really has some power).

If you never drive or seldom drive then you can go on for a SX4 as its a Maruti so it gives peace of mind with a decent FE.

You can consider Fiat Linea if you want some true driving dynamics and ride and handling are your topmost priority(buy it if you too drive,I mean 50-50 between you and chauffeur).

If you want to experience some raw power the have a look at the spacious and hardcore Chevrolet Optra Magnum.It has a really big and comfy rear seat.

At last and my personal choice as well as recommendation:-

Just go and get a VW Vento Highline(Because ABS and airbags are a must for me)for yourself if you are not ready to wait while if you can wait a bit then you can have a look at the Skoda Rapid which is a Vento only but furnishing a Skoda badge and is quite low on price too.

Since I too visit Dehradun too much(about 3-4 trips every month from Meerut to Dehradun are done)and what I feel is that an Optra magnum can be the best choice for you(I have once took it on a trip and it really impressed me),rest is your choice(the above was my personal opinion not choice). TSiVipul2011-10-25 08:06:00

YOu have moderate running and even though you have given preference for diesel, Honda City at its discounted price is your best bet. It has a very comfortable rear seat, great FE for a petrol sedan and Honda maintenance is proven. Check it out at the earliest. Honda City E model can be had at less than 7.5 on road after little haggle.

If strictly diesel, I will say Hyundai Verna 1.6. IT will have the most peaceful ownership amongst all.

If you can wait till February, we will have Ertiga amongst us, which is Maruti's MPV, and would be a very good choice considering hilly rides.

Hello' date='

I am planing to buy a new sedan priced below 10 lakh by December.

Kindly suggest.

Running: moderate

Usualy to be driven by driver

Need a comfortable back seat and boot space.[/quote']

Go for VW Vento TDi HL or wait for upcoming Skoda Rapid sedan. Both are almost Identical cars with only visible difference being the different Front & Rear alongwith altered badges.

From next year, VW-Skoda is going to localize the production of its 1.6 engines also, so in future its Ownership & Maintenance won't be too much expensive either.

Being at a hilly station you know that a good low end torque vehicle is a must for uphill starts . Also since you are choosing a diesel sedan go for the one with the least turbo lag because a turbo lag in hilly area means just too many shifts . The Vento and the Verna are the best diesel sedans with linear power delivery (Verna more so) . The base 1.6lt diesel Verna will be my pick beacause it has most feature and also has the safety of ABS and rear disc brake.

Running: moderate

Usualy to be driven by driver

Need a comfortable back seat and boot space.

IMHO, the back seat comfort on Verna may not be so good because of its slopoing roof.

You can consider SX4 mainly for its back seat comfort, high GC( a must for hilly region), high seats for easy ingress/egress since you are going to use back seats mostly.

Another car with considering for big rear seat comfort, is the new CAAAAAAAAR, a.k.a Nissan Sunny.

One of my friends with a budget of 10L got a manza diesel top model and is very happy. He got the comfort he was looking for and also saved a lot of money. He checked out the new fiesta & vento but didnt like them.

@Khatbhej:

Don't know I should do +1 to you or -1.

Actually the car you suggested(the Manza thing)is also a good choice,but considering quality,fit and finish etc etc etc and many other issues,I never find it even in the league with the Vento,or even a Verna.

Harsh,

Having driven 1000 KMs in Vento, I would say that Vento is the ideal car for you especially considering Hilly terrain.  Stretch your budget little bit and go for Vento Highline Diesel as suggested by Vipul, since it has ABS and Air Bag.

Positives: Good Low End Torque, Great Look (Personal Choice), Great Build Quality, Luxury Interiors with Beige Finish (Even though difficult to maintain), Light Steering in City, Good High Speed Stability, Ideal for Highway Cruise as well as City Ride (even though lesser mileage in City Ride), Large Boot, Good Back Seat Comfort, 15 K KM Service Interval, Alloy Wheel, Steering Mounted Audio Control and Integrated Reverse Sensor, Automatic climate Control

Negatives: Larger Turning Radius (5.4 M), Indicator and Wiper Interchanged (Takes time to get used to), Steering does not weigh heavy at High Speeds, Becomes Noisy in 2ndand 3rd Gear, Radio RCD 310 does not recognize IPOD, and not possible to attach a Reverse Camera, No DVD Player, No touch Sensitive Screen and Movie Play, No Aux, No Bluetooth

Go-ahead and Book Vento immediately, since it will take few weeks to deliver (Since you need the car in December).  More you wait, more choices are going to be available and selection of one car out of them becomes very difficult smiley2.gif