sgmuser

Need a Car so your advice...esp AutoCar Gurus...

I have a SX4 Auto Petrol. Less than a year old. Bought it for 8 lakhs++ on road. It just gulps petrol and 70Rs a liter, I spend 15k a month, which is I believe can be reduced. I am planning to sell/exchange. I need a Diesel Automatic, preferably SUV for Gurgaon roads. Is it economical to sell this one off and get a Diesel Auto? I loose a lot of this SX4 when selling. I am really confused but determined to go for a Diesel but whether this decision is the right one economically or not? Pls advice. Thanks.

Ok, since your car is less than a year old you should not loose too much of your SX4. Although a petrol auto like SX4 will depreciate a lot, still a good asking price should be around 6.8L ~ 7L.

Secondly, switching to a diesel of any form is sensible, even if you do not use it that much. But can you please explain why you want a auto again ? Also why an SUV ? and how much can you spend in addition to the resale value?

If you ask me, I would recommend another SX4 Vdi, in place of the Automatic. I would not suggest another automatic, since automatics are fuel guzzlers and have higher maintenance. Moreover SX4 have good clearance and that would help tackle bad roads as well. Exchange and other monetary bonus can be easier to obtain since its another maruti.

SX4 Vdi is 7.78L ex showroom gurgaon. So all you need is 1L more and you get the same car in diesel.

sb-alto2011-11-07 04:52:09

I guess from your expenditures your running is around 2000km per month. A diesel SUV(manual, considering Scorpio) will give you mileage of around 15kmpl. So that translates to fuel costs of around 7500. Estimating that you sell off at around 6.5 lakhs, you lose around 2 lakhs You will recover the costs in about two years.

An automatic diesel SUV is not recommended as SB said above. You will be getting efficiency less than manual petrol SUV negating diesel benefits.

My suggestion is wait for the upcoming Ertiga MPV from Maruti in the Jan Auto Expo, book it early.

Ok' date=' since your car is less than a year old you should not loose too much of your SX4. Although a petrol auto like SX4 will depreciate a lot, still a good asking price should be around 6.8L ~ 7L. Secondly, switching to a diesel of any form is sensible, even if you do not use it that much. But can you please explain why you want a auto again ? Also why an SUV ? and how much can you spend in addition to the resale value? [/quote']

Hi Friends, Thanks so much! for those quick and sensible answers. But I couldn't stop comparing the pathetic replies from some other so called auto forum, whom they call themselves auto genius and couldn't give me a balanced answers.

I need auto, because, my wife does not know driving a manual and she doesn't want to go through pain. I can live with a manual, then, wife need to depends on the driver, if she has to go out. And the drivers here are notorious in Gurgaon and they can disappear anytime. Also, Auto helps a lot for us to manage this horrendous drivers on Gurgoan roads. Lastly, that it is one less to care about.

Secondly, I need SUV, after my experience here, since the roads are really bad, even in areas like Cybercity which is like the Business District of Gurgaon. Imagine, the interior roads. Thats why I went for high GC vehicle like SX4, but, still, the driving view would be great in SUV for these kind of pot holes (wells!).

I guess from your expenditures your running is around 2000km per month. A diesel SUV(manual' date=' considering Scorpio) will give you mileage of around 15kmpl. So that translates to fuel costs of around 7500. Estimating that you sell off at around 6.5 lakhs, you lose around 2 lakhs You will recover the costs in about two years. An automatic diesel SUV is not recommended as SB said above. You will be getting efficiency less than manual petrol SUV negating diesel benefits. My suggestion is wait for the upcoming Ertiga MPV from Maruti in the Jan Auto Expo, book it early.[/quote']

This is what I was exactly looking for. Thanks a ton, bro. I really appreciate.

How about, Scorpio Auto or the upcoming XUV 5OO Auto? I thought the XUV is a value for money, thought, I am not sure, whether, I can put in 15-16 lakhs on a new launch.

I have an eye on Fortuner Auto, but, if it goes beyond 22-23 on road, then I have to settle for a manual TFort, may be 2nd hand and look for a small Auto Hatch. Does that, sound sensible?

I also read some negatives on high speed ride quality (some vibrations) on XUV. Otw, I would have opted, when I visited the next day of the launch and almost booked it.

I am not too comfortable with Ford Endy, Chevy Captiva or Skoda Yeti as well.

Pls let me know, if there is something which is Diesel, SUV, realible and under 20 lakhs strictly which I should consider.

So you have these basic problems:

1. Automatic - for ease of driving.

2. SUV - for bad roads.

3. Diesel - for low running cost.

Right?

You do not have many options. First, if you are in a hurry to get one, the only option is Scorpio Vlx A/T which is priced at 14L in gurgaon I guess. So that is almost 8L more that what you get out of your SX4. That is one reason why I wanted to know your new budget.

Second option can be a pre owned car. But that depends on the number of years, that you wish to retain this car.

Third, there is new Verna Diesel A/T which is also priced at 13L. But the downside is the sedan form and your worry for bad roads.

**EDIT**

I am not sure, but I guess XUV 500 has no automatic options. Correct me if I am wrong.

sb-alto2011-11-07 06:37:56

@Sqmuser:

Firstly considering the market in Gurgaon and NCR I can make you assured that your SX4 won't get you even 6.5 lacs.So be ready to sell it for at-most 6-6.2 lacs and also an automatic...OOPS,IT MAY BE A HARD DEAL,LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT GOES UNDER THE HAMMER.

Rest be assured that nobody will pay you even 6.5 lacs easily for an automatic SX4(after all its not a Honda City).

Secondly,if you need a diesel SUV,then you have only two choices in hand,first is Scorpio vlx A/T and second is XUV 500 auto(whenever it comes).

Why don't you go for diesel sedan with auto box,like the upcoming Skoda Rapid or a Chevrolet Cruze,I too live in NCR(Meerut) and frequently visit Gurgaon,Sohna etc etc but I don't feel that the roads there needs an SUV.

@smguser:

Depending upon the criteria that you mentioned above, I would suggest you that you should go for SCORPIO Vlx though I am not sure about the on road price but I am sure it will not cross 15 lac mark.

However, in my personal opinion, still I feel that you do not need an SUV. See, people opt for SUV for certain reasons, one of them could be bad roads (here bad mean pathetically bad, 1 feet deep potholes). But GGN does not have this much of problem. I am not sure which area are you from in the GGN but I am also living in Gurgaon for 11+ years now and have seen this city building rapidly. I do not see the roads are such bad

@sgmuser;

These days Petrol cars are beaten hard in terms of Resale value.

IMHO, SX4 Auto fetch petrol can't fetch more than Rs.5.5-6 lacs, irrespective of an year or less old.

And the nearest Auto Diesel car (Verna D-AT, Cruze D-AT & Upcoming Ford Fiesta TDCi-AT) will cost easily twice of this cost & an Auto SUV will even cost thrice or more.

So, the best advice for saving money is to retain this car till this temporary Transition from Petrol cars to Diesels gets stabilized, as the scenario will never remain that much single sided.

Instead focus on saving fuel by adopting Proper Driving measures or usage of Public transport or by Walking to nearby locations. I'm sure you can save atleast Rs.1-2k fuel by adopting these.

Else if you're still pinched hard by rising Petrol cost & can't avoid the situation then look at some Ultra fuel efficient Manual Diesel hatchback, like Beat TCDi alongwith retaining SX4 Auto.

I'm sure, It'll hugely alter the car usage scenario of your family.

@Dr Nishu:

++1

well,I was thinking that being true may be harsh but you did it,well its a fact that even 6 lacs for a SX4 auto is also a hard deal.

@Sgmuser:Why don't you consider CNG in your car?

@Dr Nishu:

++1

well' date='I was thinking that being true may be harsh but you did it,well its a fact that even 6 lacs for a SX4 auto is also a hard deal. @Sgmuser:Why don't you consider CNG in your car?[/quote']

I thought about this, but since mine is an Auto, I was not sure, whether something is there to suit Auto box. Can anyone help me on this?   esp in Delhi/Gurgaon/NCR basically. That would be of helpful for sure.

@sgmuser;

These days Petrol cars are beaten hard in terms of Resale value.

IMHO' date=' SX4 Auto fetch petrol can't fetch more than Rs.5.5-6 lacs, irrespective of an year or less old.

And the nearest Auto Diesel car (Verna D-AT, Cruze D-AT & Upcoming Ford Fiesta TDCi-AT) will cost easily twice of this cost & an Auto SUV will even cost thrice or more.

So, the best advice for saving money is to retain this car till this temporary Transition from Petrol cars to Diesels gets stabilized, as the scenario will never remain that much single sided.

Instead focus on saving fuel by adopting Proper Driving measures or usage of Public transport or by Walking to nearby locations. I'm sure you can save atleast Rs.1-2k fuel by adopting these.

Else if you're still pinched hard by rising Petrol cost & can't avoid the situation then look at some Ultra fuel efficient Manual Diesel hatchback, like Beat TCDi alongwith retaining SX4 Auto.

I'm sure, It'll hugely alter the car usage scenario of your family. [/quote']

Two great points, I agree! My question was, if I dispose and go for a diesel car, I wanted to know, whether I will be saving some money I might loose, by having Petrol? I might keep the car for another 2-3 years for sure.

I also looked at this point and wanted to buy either Ritz or Swift. But, then, I backed out, as I have to maintain two cars, which would be of bigger pain. The usage, drop/pick up of my daughter in school which is around 4 kms up/down for one trip. Then, the driver drops/picks me at office which is 60 kms up and down two times a day.

I wanted to buy a diesel, but, then, Verna had a delivery period of 2 months...and I couldn't wait. Scorpio AT, still, I am not convinced (I have a Scorpio MT fyi, and my dad uses in my home town and I am very happy about its reliability though).

Having a manual diesel for all the purposes and just in case if my wify wants to drive, the Petrol AT. Does this sound sensible? considering the fact that I for sure need a good/solid highway car for long trips and use the diesel for the short trips and city run abouts? Advice please friends!

p.s. I am impressed the way people respond and the no of responses as well.

My question was' date=' if I dispose and go for a diesel car, I wanted to know, whether I will be saving some money I might loose, by having Petrol? I might keep the car for another 2-3 years for sure. [/quote']

Selling your SX4 Auto petrol now or a year later will hardly make a difference in terms of Re-sale as by now you've already got the massive depreciation.

So, driving it for another few months will hardly make any difference.

I also looked at this point and wanted to buy either Ritz or Swift. But' date=' then, I backed out, as I have to maintain two cars, which would be of bigger pain.[/quote']   

As except Annual Insurance costs, I don't think there's any other major expanse for maintaining a Petrol car & that's too a Maruti Suzuki.

But If you really think so, then Book a fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi AT & Drive SX4 AT till its delivery. Sell the latter thereafter.

But must note prior to your purchase that;

-Verna Ground Clearance is much lower as compared to SX4. So its flickability is much less as compared to Verna.

-Rear Seat space is much less in New Verna than SX4.

Having a manual diesel for all the purposes and just in case if my wify wants to drive' date=' the Petrol AT. Does this sound sensible? considering the fact that I for sure need a good/solid highway car for long trips and use the diesel for the short trips and city run abouts? Advice please friends!

[/quote']

Still the best option, I'd say.

I suggest a Ritz VDi or Beat TCDi for City runabouts.

The latter easily delivers 20kmpl+ in City usage, as its users experienced. dr_nishu2011-11-07 12:03:45

I think the best solution without loosing a lot of money would be for you to fit in an LPG/CNG kit. It would be much better than selling a good new car.

The issue in this idea, which also, I thought about, as I mentioned earlier, the warranty, for two years, I got will be void. But, I am not too worried. But one of my friend said, the capacity of the tank is small and tank range will be around 200+ kms only and then, you have to be in that snake like q around those CNG outlets. But, personally, I am not sure, how bad that is. I thought, I can fill, during some odd hours. Pls add your suggestions...as well. Thanks.

Let me tell you something, the gc of Scorpio is 180mm and the gc of sx4 zdi a/t or mt is 180 mm becos of the bigger alloys n broader tyres. So going for a suv just for gc is not worth it.

Sx4 auto is around 11 lacs n u cud get a-star at for your wife for 4 lacs(used from maruti truvalue) , you could buy two cars for the price of a Scorpio or any suv a/t.

The on road price for a Chevy Beat Diesel is around 5 lakhs, I hope.

I am still not convinced on the CNG, as it will screw up if not done properly, will end up paying more.

Now, the decision has to be made either sell and get a Diesel - loss of around 2 lakhs - once off and forget it (its is difficult!)

or

get another diesel, a cheap one at it.

Things are getting really confusing. smiley5.gif

OT: Forum Support, I get an error message, when I submit the message, says, the message is not posted. But when I come back, actually I see the message. If needed I can get a screenshot. I have seen the message atleast 80% of the time, I submitted a post.

Sorry for multiple posts: this is the error message, I got.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

Could not find server 'WHB-1-NEW' in sys.servers. Verify that the correct server name was specified. If necessary, execute the stored procedure sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sys.servers. I get this message when press Post Reply button.

/archive/autocar_forum/new_post.asp, line 1142

Here is what I feel.

1.Get a small AT hatch for your wife. Options range from A-star AT to i10 AT(I recommend i10, but A-star is a good car too, and can be bought should budget get tight)

2.Buy the upcoming Ertiga MPV-Diesel from Maruti. It will cost around the same as SX4. You get comfort of owning 2 cars, hatch for local drives to supermarkets with AT, Diesel MPV for long drives and efficiency.

It may seem costlier in the beginning but the benefit of driving AT only when needed would be a boost to your bills. Also A-star AT can be got at very good deals.

This will sound costlier at start, but it will trun into yo

+1 to Rahul 1810.

Bang,he has just striken the cord,why don't you approach the true value,just tell them that you will be booking the Ertiga at the same time and then see they will evaluate your car to even a higher price.

They really do it and I have heard it from many people.Just try it once.

Ertiga is an interesting proposition for sure! But, is that coming with the same 1.3 75hp like Swift or with the one in SX4 DDiS? A VGT or a Turbo is a good one to have, but the Swift DDIS is underpowered for a 7 (Ertiga is a 7 seater, I think) seater right?

I am going to Truevalue soon to have some estimation.

or, something else, came suddenly and thought I will get some opinions as well. I have a Scorpio with my dad for his use. Is it a good idea to give the SX4 Auto to him (driver driven). Dad has a very low usage, less than 1000 kms a month. I trade in the Scorpio for something, which suits me?

I might shortlist, XUV 5OO and a small AT hatch together as many has suggested.