sb-alto

Indian Car of the Year 2011. The mega poll.

Which should be the car of the year 2011?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the car of the year 2011?

• VW Jetta
    • Maruti Suzuki Kizashi
    • Audi A8L
    • SX4 Diesel
    • Indica eV2
    • Volvo S60
    • VW Passat
    • Ford Fiesta Classic
    • All new Ford Fiesta
    • Skoda Laura VRS
    • New Indica Vista
    • Fluidic Verna
    • Force one
    • New Jazz
    • Renault Fluence
    • Ferrari 458 Italia
    • Etios Liva
    • Chevy Beat Diesel.
    • Tata Aria
    • Nissan Sunny
    • Audi A6
    • Honda Brio
    • New Swift
    • Hyundai Eon
    • Mahindra XUV500

2011 saw a lot of launches, a few segment shattering and a few about to be duds. But cars have improved rapidly and one year makes a lot of difference, in terms of quality and new technology. Indian automotive Industry is not looked down upon as earlier. The big players are setting up their lineup of cars and the introduction of F1 have created a lot of new opportunities.

Even though this may not be the best time to have this poll, because many more launches are on cards, but the countdown and evaluation should start right away.

The above listed cars are not the only cars that have been launched in 2011, these are the ones I have picked considering them as contenders. I might have missed many important cars which you consider to be a contender as well. So suggestions are welcome.

I hope moderators will help adding more cars or eliminating some if opinions differ.

Let the poll roll .

sb-alto2011-11-12 16:33:06

No other choice than the XUV500. Moreso because its a giant-leap for an Indian Automotive Company/engineering.

Nissan Sunny would have topped for me if Nissan had launched a diesel with a good tag.
BornFree2011-11-13 07:30:52

Agree with Bornfree. XUV500 was a big leap for MnM and for Indian Auto manufacturers as well as this was the first time that an Indian Car company has introduced a global SUV with quality as well.

XUV 500 is a real big launch after Swift in many years. It had a lot of speculation and expectation. I believe that the car lived upto such expectation.

@bala:

Yes, I know, but people often have grudges on why a particular car has not been added. See, we have a vote for Indica eV2.

Force one could have been a hit if Force had some reputation. A merc developed engine, good features and huge car for such less price. Not a bad option eh?smiley1.gif

IMHO, Facelifts, upgraded or variant additions are not considered in 'Car of the year' consideration list.

However, these might can get their eligibility under various sub-categories like Best variant, etc.

For poll, My liking is towards Nissan Sunny.

But from everywhere, I see Mahindra XUV500 a clear 'Car of the year' winner.

My vote goes for the XUV500, because it is a complete package. It has shaken the Premium SUV market upside down. Effects can be seen in the decline in the sales of Aria, Fortuner, Yeti and even the Corolla.

One important thing achieved by M&M is that, being an Indian Car Maker, it has managed to sell a Rs.12 lakh car with ease, where workhorses such as Maruti, Hyundai, Honda(now) and Tata simply did not manage to pull off.

Clearly either the VW Jetta or XUV500 has the chance of being the Car of The Year.

The SUV is a good beginning for Mahindra, seems they have learned the hard way after the Logan debacle.

They seem to have now fallen in line with people's expectation of pricing for a home grown product, mind you the Logan even if it was not a home grown product was inherently a cheap product for the eastern european markets which Mahindra in India wanted to pan it as a permium product!! It seems overall suprising people even if they are no experts in automobiles seemed to understand what was being offered to them, Hats off!! people.

But Mahindra has to learn or change their advertising strategy, I had commented here earlier about the wrong advt focus of the Scorpio competing against a car- wrong segment!!

They have gone and done it against relating the XUV 500 a 2000 Kg SUV to a nimble, sleek and fast cheetah the wild cat of the African plains!!

The ideal comparision, (if you want to do so with a wild animal, I would be totally against it) would be with a Leopard a strong flexible and powerful wild cat and a natural habitant of India, by the way.

In advertising I find VW, BMW, Audi, even TATA to be good, however they should focus on the unique pluses of the car rather that show off external form factor.

The Safari DICOR shot wading through water and apparent heavy foliage looks apt.

So much for advertisers and their ideas!!

For me it is the Aria. I find this car really nice. I dont like the XUV500, though i must say it was priced extremely well. So head says XUV500 and heart says Aria. SO voted with heart.

I voted for the new Verna because it is priced right and has all the features people expect from a product of 10 lakhs .

The XUV 500 didn't cut it for me because even though its a massive VFM and loaded I doubt the quality of the car especially the electricals but it come a close second in my list .

Since the topic is "Indian Car of the Year 2011. The mega poll",

my vote is obviously for XUV500, a true Indian Car.

IMHO the other 'Indian Cars' which were in the race are the Eon and Liva

(which are primarily developed for Indian market) and our own eV2 and

new Vista from Tata (which are now fully developed Indian models).

Almost all other cars are not Indian Cars eventhough they are available in

Indian market. 

However much I tried, I could not agree to considering

Volvos, Audis, VWs, Fluences, Sunnys etc., as Indian Cars.

Hence, my vote goes for XUV500.  A complete VFM package from M&M,

totally concieved, created & made, sold and serviced in India.  A perfect

choice.

rameshbabu.n2011-11-19 06:24:00

@Ramesh' date='

What about your dream on Eon?
[/quote']

Even I expected the Eon to do good, and I still believe that the car will do good once discounts and offer starts coming.

Moreover Alto has sold huge numbers in the past year or so. That makes the market a bit saturated. My opinion about the car is still unchanged.

WRT Indian Car of the Year poll, Eon is nowhere near to XUV. Inquiries suggest that XUV is favorite as an Indian product rather than value.