Sstar

Sub 4 meter Amby in 2012

HM might opt for Fiat's 1.3 Multijet for Amby CS:

Once a strong rival of an era, now trying to join hands with each other.

An exrcept from IAB article,

Economic Times is reporting that Hindustan Motors is engaging in talks with Fiat for engine supply. The report does not elaborate on the variant that will use Fiat’s technology, but it is public knowledge that India’s oldest car manufacturer is coming out with a sub-4m variant of the Ambassador next year which would need an engine that displaces under 1.5-liters to avail excise benefits doled out to small cars.

Read more: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/12/hm-ambassador-fiat-multijet-engine-107474#ixzz2oQFqCOCY

I had been to Kolkata many times recently and the iconic yellow cabs reminded me that Ambys still exist. Kerala was very loyal to Ambys in the past, but its hard to find them there even in the faithful taxi-segment who have moved on to Indicas, Manzas and even Toyota Etios. Also our Babus have moved on to swanky new cars like the Innova. I can't figure out who exactly is buying a new Amby and let alone a chopped-off Amby! Perhaps the only buyers would be the cabwallahs in Kolkata who want to upgrade.

In this day and age of pedestrian air-bags, these cars are very unsafe and pointless. Their whole design architecture is flawed and a new car has to be designed ground up. They are still getting away with the shocking safety rules in India (as they always have), and may pull off some moves for a few more years, but I think they have lost their credibility all together.

I was a fan of the old Amby and liked it for its rugged nature. But I don't see any commitment from HM towards improving the car which is so old, and they resort to cheap tactics like chopping off the boot.

HM might opt for Fiat's 1.3 Multijet for Amby CS:

Once a strong rival of an era, now trying to join hands with each other.

An exrcept from IAB article,

Economic Times is reporting that Hindustan Motors is engaging in talks with Fiat for engine supply. The report does not elaborate on the variant that will use Fiat’s technology, but it is public knowledge that India’s oldest car manufacturer is coming out with a sub-4m variant of the Ambassador next year which would need an engine that displaces under 1.5-liters to avail excise benefits doled out to small cars.

Read more: http://indianautosbl...4#ixzz2oQFqCOCY

Now this is called "Breaking News"...!