Sign in to follow this  
sham

real world analysis of torque and power

Hi all

I've been wondering about this from a long time and have

Not found proper explanation about them..

Let me take my car itself as an eg,

I drive a punto with 197 @ 1750 ,torque and 75@4000, power

Now all I know us that more torque means better pulling and easier to drive and less gear changes.

But how does this qualify a car to be a good car to drive?

I know that weight if a car contributes a lot to the way it pulls off the line and a car with say 250nm of torque would still be slow if it weighed 2tons,right?

My point is using these values is it possible to figure out the lag during gear changes.

Also peak power is rated at max rpm if hat be the case is it possible to say I reach certain power at a particular rpm?

Basically I'm looking for a real world implication of these values so that I can explain better why a particular vehicle should it should not be bought, rather than just saying it has lots if torque it power so buy it.

Thanks

Are you a engineer?

If not it would not be easy to explain your question easily, however in lay man words I will try -

Force when acted on a object is measured in Newton meters or Kgm

the Force when applied to this object when moves the object in case of engines a axle which rotates and causes wheels to rotate is called torque.

Obviously the larger the object weight more is the force required.

Peak power generated at a particular RPM is mentioned, this not necessarly would be max RPM, in many cases the peak torque is generated at say 3000 RPM however the max RPM could be 4500, which means after 3000 RPM the torque would tapper off.

the particular torque chart for the compelte power band of a car is not generally mentioned in car brochures, but available with the service center and other publishing mediums, even on the internet.

I take it that you are a car sales man I am wondering if the dealer ship at which you work provides your training on such basic aspects, which manufacturer do you represent?

I'm an engineer, and I'm a software engineer..

I'm "NOT" a salesman ;-)

You've again explained what I already know , I'm well aware of these technical jargons being used.. Please take another look at my post , my questions are entirely different.