Sign in to follow this  
harryccc

Right Turns are not RIGHT

I wanna appreciate the Chennai - Bangalore Highway road. The road surface is exceptionally good and maintained well, though at a price that we pay at 5 toll gates before you reach Bangalore from Chennai. Thanks to the privatisation of Road Construction by NHAI. This is a four laned highway extending app 350 kms. The reflectors on the road are placed rightly to help follow the lanes, the divider has tall plants but the plants are cut and maintained short at all U turn junctions to give the drivers a clear view of the turning vehicles from the other side. However I noticed a deadly design fault on this highway while driving from Chennai to Bangalore.

Well whenever the road turns right there is an immediate U Junction which is dealy. If you are on the right lane (high speed lane), the road turns right and you wont be able to stop your vehicle when you notice a vehicle taking a U turn from the other side and surprisingly the plants in the divider during these turns are not cut short and they are tall enough to block the view of the opposite side. Well i was driving midnight so I didnt encounter any vehicle taking a U turn at any of these junctions however am sure the local town and village traffic is more during the day. I am surprised to see how the engineers who designed the road did not realise this fault and the government approved this. May I request ACI to do publish this or follow any method to notify NHAI about this?

I did the Chennai-Bangalore drive during day time. As Harry Mentioned I did notice a lot of such dangerous U Turn Junctions. Especially since the Indian mentality is to just turn without stopping and checking the oncoming traffic.  The road is superlative and traffic is not very high. Its easily a 150km cruising road. But unfortunately the U Turns at every 2-3 Km make it very dangerous to go fast.

yes Anjan!! am gonna this write to Hindu. they have to close these U turn junctions and open them in places where the road is pretty much straight and also the plants to be cut short for the view on the other side....

hello all, a quick update as am running behind schedule at work!!!!

i drove from chennai to bangalore last sunday and to my surprise, these U turn junctions were closed. it was like a miracle.. i really dont know if this was done by feedback written by ppl (includes me) or did any accident teach the lesson to the authorities?  but these U Turn junctions are closed and it is lot more safe to drive on this highway....

I too drove from chennai to bangalore on Monday. Although i did not noticed the u turns closed i did notice that u turns were not as frequent as before. Also noticed a lot of plant trimming going on.

Harry, looks like they took your advice :)

I think they are very serious on maintaining this road perfectly. Even the security folks at teh toll gate are very polite.

But another major problem i see on this highway is the lack of good rest stops and hotels. There is only one reliance plaza which is near Hosur. When i was coming i had to litereally keep searching till i found a decent hotel on the highway.

I too drove from chennai to bangalore on Monday. Although i did not noticed the u turns closed i did notice that u turns were not as frequent as before. Also noticed a lot of plant trimming going on.

Harry' date=' looks like they took your advice :)

I think they are very serious on maintaining this road perfectly. Even the security folks at teh toll gate are very polite.

But another major problem i see on this highway is the lack of good rest stops and hotels. There is only one reliance plaza which is near Hosur. When i was coming i had to litereally keep searching till i found a decent hotel on the highway.
[/quote']

yes Rajeev i noticed these U turns were closed. I second you on the rest stops part of your feedback. Govt should establish good restaurants or motels or tender out this one... there are definetly not much good rest places till you reach krishnagiri which is about 220 kms from chennai except for the one three star hotel near vellore

Yup thats correct. The only standard place is the A1 Plaza that reliance has on both sides of the road betweek krishnagiri and hosur. That has a good hotel restrooms nough parking space etc.. For such an international quality road there must be some good places to do a pit stop.

I suppose the lack of heavy traffic on the stretch is the reason. The road is mainly used by the truckers andthey wont stop at a 3 star eatery.